It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2008, 10:05 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User
Chest Pain and Soreness

Hello Fellow GERD Suffers,

Was wondering if any of you ever wake up with your chest/lungs feeling sore and brusied - almost like someone was squeezing you in a giant bear hug all night.

Is it sore when you try to take a deep breath and cause problems breathing?

Yep you guessed it - this is my newest symptom - Oh Joy -- not

Thanks!

Vanessa

Old 02-13-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
(male)

Ninja1 HB User
Re: Chest Pain and Soreness

Happens to me because of my anxiety and not so much GERD. A lot of people who have GERD also have some form of anxiety and vice-versa.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2008, 12:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Me too its pretty newish to me too lately! It sort of snook up on me... l havnt been diagnosed yet but the pain your taking about has had me really worried. Im sure lve been getting this mildly on and off for a while but it seems pretty regular now and more pronounced. Good luck

Last edited by niecsey; 02-14-2008 at 12:49 AM.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

I almost wish mine was anxiety - cause I have some meds I can take for that - it is not though, real physical pain and I am trying everything to help. Not eating after 6:30, propering up the bed, have cut out all the bad stuff for over 3 months now, drink lots of water - no pop, no chocolate, and on and on - still bad GERD/Heartburn - and now new disturbing symptoms..

The chest pain is scary and I hate it. Breathing problems continue and have been worse lately, and new chemical taste in nose and throat.

GERD IS NOT FUN

Old 02-15-2008, 07:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

I used to get the chemical taste in the mouth and throat a lot. Now I only get it occassionally. I have since read that this is a side effect of certain medications - they impair our sense of smell, taste and even hearing.

This is very interesting- and sounds only too familiar:
A person who posted this was wondering if her asthma medication Advair was responsible for the following symptoms:

Prior to starting the drug-no symptoms
First week: loss of voice, thick phlegm, loss of gag reflex, pulling and itching in the throat
Breathing worsens
At two months: thick phlegm, ripping feeling at the back of throat, sinusitis-post nasal drip, dryness of mouth, constant loss of gag reflex, pain and aching in the throat, breathing problems

At 9 months: pulling, pushing at the back of the throat, acidic taste plus taste of food throughout the day, popping and gurgling of esophagus, uncontrollable burping, pain in the lungs, constant trouble breathing, dry mouth, dry throat, constant scratching painful feeling at the back of throat, barber wire feeling at the back of mouth, severe problems sleeping....

Diagnosis from seven doctors after many tests...unknown. Some of the more likely conditions were ruled out.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Vanessa Ive been getting abit breathless too lately something ive had in the past that was put down to thyroid issues (again!) and l notice even when lm eating good l still have probs and when l eat bad lm ok!!!! and vice versa I stopped the probiotic too cos my stomach seemed to get worse with them as well! Yesterday was a really good day for me l felt human... But today l have really bad lower back pain in the sacrum joint on left hand side most of the time l have it in both sides and today for the first time its left only and lasts a few seconds then goes but it is really really painful like someone drilling into the joint Also has little pains sternum area and under left breast in side of ribs... its never ending and getting new symptoms makes it worse. Going to have to bite the bullet and go to the doc and try and get this sorted out.. l too think some of its anxiety cos when you have felt bad for so long and theres no conclusion it gets you down so you get anxious and low l know l do Keep in touch and you take care ps l dont think the manuka honey is working for me anymore now xx

Last edited by niecsey; 02-16-2008 at 12:00 PM.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:59 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Hi Niecsey,

I am so sorry that you are suffering - I hope your Dr. is able to help you. The past two days for me have been HORRID... Not exaclty sure why - for the first time in about 3 months I allowed myself (2) Giradelli Mint/Dark Chocolate Squares - for Valentines Day.... My gift to me--- OOOPPPSSS wrong thing to do.

My GERD/Heartburn has been INSANE - so bad. Now have this HORRIFIC UPPER chest tightness that WILL NOT STOP. It feels like someone is sitting on my chest and squeezing both sides together trying to crush me - my lungs HURT and it is so hard to breath and FORGET about taking a deep breath - impossible..... I am absolutely struggling to breath - but not coughing or wheezing.... I got desperate and tried my rescue inhaler yesterday and I have felt worse ever since -- NO RELIEF from the chest tightness, Xanax is not helping..... I am scared - If this does not let up I will have to go to the Dr. too
I could not sleep last night even sitting up straight -- I would doze off then wake up GASPING for breath my chest so TIGHT.... -- Could this all just be from (2) chocolates??????? How is that possible????

Flower,

I think you are to something here - this 'new' upper chest tightness has seem to develop/WORSEN since doubling my Flovent Dose at my Pulms. suggestion. It has NOT helped my breathing issues - and I would BET is causing the chemical taste.... Not sure how to 'wean' off the double dose without causing my self more problems....

WHAT A MESS.....
My goodness - I am still hoping/praying that we feel BETTER SOON - all of us....

Old 02-16-2008, 10:03 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Vanessa,

Go to the ER!!!!!
Why has you astma med dose been increased recently???!! it's probably too high!!! You need help.
Your beta blocker AND a double dose of asthma meds are counterproductive. You should not be on ANY beta blocker!!!!

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 02-16-2008 at 10:07 AM.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:08 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

My Pulm. increased it back when my breathing problems started (11/2007) - even though my Pulm Function test came back fine... My regular physician did not agree with him on this but told me to follow his instructions anyway.....

I have gone to the ER three other times while feeling this way - they NEVER treat my breathing -- say its anxiety or Heartburn because I am not wheezing, I do not cough, and my O2 sats are fine They give me Xanax - which does NOT help me breath better - and my husband gets FURIOUS because it costs a lot of $$$ every time I go to the ER..... They always test my heart too - which comes out fine - which is good....

I promise you - if it gets even a TINY bit worse -- I AM SO AT THE ER... Promise.

Thanks for caring.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:59 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa any crushing pain needs to be seen to asp!!! l dont want to scare you but if your suffering go to the ER! No one should have to suffer in this day and age! Grrr let us know how you get on when you feel up to it x thinking of you xx

Old 02-16-2008, 03:49 PM   #11
(female)

ryleetn HB User

Wow I was reading some of your other posts and I have exactly your symptoms, the pain under left breast or bottom of both ribs, pain and pressure behind breast bone which has scared the living crap out of me and I have been to multiple dr's for. Uncomfortable upper stomach feeling too full. Constant gas. Sometimes I feel like I have a sheet over my face that I am breathing through. I have been on prilosec for a couple months and it hasn't fixed anything. I have an endoscopy scheduled for the 26th. And last and not least I started with diaherrea last night and still have it, I am going crazy my nerves cannot take much more. I hate that you have it but am glad I am not the only one. If you find anything that fixes you please let me know.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:07 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you for that promise, Vanessa!

I will tell you what i believe to be the main problem, based on my own experience. I found myself in your position not so long ago. The inability to breathe properly was so disabling I could barely get by from one day to the next. Just. I could only dream of returning to work some day...I'd be exhausted after walking several feet to my car in the parking lot. I never lost hope of my life returning to normal some day..that's why I quit the beta blocker. It meant severe headaches, irregular heart beat etc.... I suffered through the withdrawal for almost six weeks, got myself through it somehow only to have the breathing difficulties return. That's when I started taking the Nexium and...bingo!!! My breathing gradually returned to normal. I cannot exert myself too much, but don't have any problems getting by on day-to-day basis. That is what you might want to aim for. Believe me, the beta blockers are contraindicated in people like you and me with possible asthma problems or other breathing difficulties. I believe my breathing problems were not entirely caused by GERD & hiatal hernia (and totally discount my doctors' insistence I have asthma). I think perhaps my cardiac or renal issues have played a small role as well.

You need to get off your beta blocker. I did. Not without difficulties, as described on another board. You might not experience any problems (except for the headache) because yours is a much smaller dose to begin with. Mine was 800mg of a combination alpha/beta blocker. I see that as your possible way out. I was in your shoes, remember? When I got to the point you're at right now, I knew the time for drastic measures had come. I am so glad I had insisted on quitting the beta blocker. If it were up to my doctors, I'd be on it to this day. They happily prescribed asthma meds in addition to the numerous meds I already took to treat the breathing difficulties. (Unsuccessfully!!! I quit those afer a while and spared myself more side effects..) Way it goes...they look for easy solutions.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 02-16-2008 at 04:14 PM.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:19 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Thanks Flower,

I took your advice and started weaning off the Beta Blocker - I think it is causing me GERD/Acid problems as well as breathing problems. The way that I have felt the last two days was ENOUGH - I cannot take it anymore - as you say 'drastic times'.....

I need to see for myself (and to prove it to my Dr.) - if that drug is causing me these problems. I am PRAYING that is it.

I will continue on my anti-acid medications and modified GERD diet and I will take whatever withdrawal comes my way - ANYTHING to breath again.

THANK YOU SO MUCH all of you for your support and encouragement.

I am still feeling rough - but 1 day at a time....

Old 02-17-2008, 11:06 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa,

I wish you nothing but success. You do know you have to do this with your doctor's approval. I see you discussed stopping the beta blocker with him at some point already.
He will give you some guidance (more than I got from my doctor, I hope). You will also need another medication to replace the beta blocker with. I wish you the best of luck and not too many headaches!

I will be thinking of you.
flowergirl

Old 02-18-2008, 07:25 PM   #15
(female)

myevana7 HB User

it is anxiety, you need to relax that is what i am telling myself suffering from the same thing, my chest is sooooooo tight. one year ago i went to emergency room thought i was suffering from heart, they tell me it is gerd and possible hiatel hernia, another year later still feeling the same symptoms i went for an endoscopy, confirmed hiatel hernia and gerd. taking meds, they help somewhat, but the tightness accompanies me every morning and through the day, i take reglan,it helps somewhat, makes me very tired but have heard alot about that and may not take it anymore,considering surgery i just don't want to feel the heart attack mimics anymore!!!!

Closed Thread