It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2008, 10:33 AM   #1
(male)

malap HB User
Question Stomach Ulcer & Protonix - Should I see an improvement after 6 weeks?

Hello all,

I have been diagnosed with a stomach ulcer on Dec 30 2007. The ulcer was caused by an extensive use of Aleve (NSAID).

Since then, I was put on Protonix (once a day). I also stopped taking any kind of NSAID/Aspirin/etc. I have also completely eliminated coffee and alcohol from my diet.

I eat 5 small meals per day, each meal being non-spicy and low-fat. (On the positive side of it, I have lost 40 pounds - was 315 and now am 275.)

For the first 5 weeks, it seems that things were getting better: my nauseas were down and the pain caused by the ulcer was less noticeable.

But for the past 5 days or so, nausea has come back stronger and I still feel my ulcer pain at times.

What concerns me is the "roller coaster" effect of feeling better and then feeling worse... After all, if my ulcer is healing, should I not feel better and better with time?

My questions are: am I too impatient? Is it possible that Protonix is no longer helping? How long could it potentially take before my nauseas stop?

The reason why I am really concerned is that I am going to China in 10 days, and I will be there for 2 weeks...

Thanks in adance for any comments/suggestions you may have!

Last edited by malap; 02-13-2008 at 10:37 AM.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: Stomach Ulcer & Protonix - Should I see an improvement after 6 weeks?

The same thing happened to me, I took long term (10 years daily use) of NSAIDS and got an ulcer. The GI clinic was so backed up with patients that I was on Protonix for 5 months before getting an endoscopy and colonoscopy to check on it internally. By then there was no evidence of an ulcer although I believe from my symptoms that I had one.

You might want to check in with your doctor before leaving on your trip. I did have one friend who also got an ulcer from long term NSAIDS use and she had to go on a liquid diet for 6 weeks along with taking a PPI before the ulcer even stated to heal. Then contiued on with the PPI for several months and began adding soft foods. I hope this isn't your situation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
(male)

malap HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by taape View Post
The same thing happened to me, I took long term (10 years daily use) of NSAIDS and got an ulcer. The GI clinic was so backed up with patients that I was on Protonix for 5 months before getting an endoscopy and colonoscopy to check on it internally. By then there was no evidence of an ulcer although I believe from my symptoms that I had one.
Thanks for your reply. So what were your symptoms? And how long did they last? Did they last the entire 5 months?

Old 02-13-2008, 09:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

My symptoms were being nauseated, stomach hurt if you pushed on it, plus it hurt anyways, and heartburn once I stopped taking the NSAIDS which were covering up the stomach/heartburn pain, felt like food wasn't settling right in my stomach.

Once I got started on the Protonix for a few weeks, changed to a very bland diet, and had stopped taking the NSAIDS for several weeks the nausea improved and my stomach stopped hurting some. It did take quite a while like a few months because I still kept taking some NSAIDs off and on while trying to look for pain relief other ways.

After 5 months of the medication the heartburn was gone and my stomach didn't hurt anymore to the touch and I was less nauseated. At that point I think that the continued discomfort was a side effect of the Protonix which can be nausea and stomach upset. I didn't figure that out until I started taking less of it.

I think the ulcer wasn't a real deep one otherwise I probably would have had to go on a liquid diet and not eat any solid food for awhile. That's why it's good when you can get an endoscopy to see if there is damage that shows up. I don't think hearburn does show up but irritation/redness in the esophagus does-I can't remember the name of it.

I don't think healing ulcers is a quick fix. See what your doctor suggests for foods because some of them cause more acid to form. I even stopped taking multivitamins, tylenol, antibiotics just basically only the Protonix unless it was a real emergency and even given injectable medication so it would by pass my stomach.

Good luck on this.

Last edited by taape; 02-13-2008 at 09:17 PM.

Closed Thread