It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
(male)

kevkev100 HB User
why do i have to keep clearing my throat

hi

i keep have to keep clearing my throat, this has been like this for the last 5 weeks i ahve acid refux and a hitaus hernia (was diag nov 07 no gastrics or infalmation a slidng hiatus hernia)

do people with reflux experince this and what causes this sometimes ift feels i got something stuck in my throat but when i clar it - its like plegh

any help

thanks
kev

Old 02-14-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: why do i have to keep clearing my throat

Hi Kev,

I have the same problems as you - a sliding hiatal hernia and an acid reflux. Needless to say, the same symptoms as well.
The thing in the throat (yes, it feels like something spikey is stuck there at all times) never seems to go away. I swallow hundreds of times a day, trying to clear the darn thing. Haven't succeeded yet. Also, the swallowing does not help much at all. It's an involuntary reflex. Sorry I don't have any answers. Maybe somebody out there can help with those. I do think that the lump is only imaginary - maybe the throat is perpetually swollen and irritated, or something like that. Don't know for sure though.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 02-14-2008 at 11:58 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
(male)

Ninja1 HB User

Oh boy, I have had phlegm for a while now--I do not smoke and hardly drink etc.; it's the reflux. I know it IS a symptom, no doctor yet has been able to explain to me WHY we have this symptom.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

Well. when I clear my throat there's nothing imaginary in there because thick mucus does come up after nearly choking to death. Sometimes the matter is white mucus. Now, where it's coming from is my puzzle? Since I seem to have to sniff in before I cough to clear matter out, is it coming from sinus to throat, from stomach to sinus then back down to throat? I'm I swallowing it and it floats back up? I've had the "lump" but I've moved beyond that and there is "something" not going the right way or taking a U-Turn and head the other direction.

Charla

Old 02-17-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
(female)

BadKitty88 HB User

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone. For the GERD, Hiatal Hernia, and IBS symptoms, I'll share my story. I have always had a pretty good digestive tract, except for nausea from motion sickness. Very lucky that way. Anyway, last year I got a massive fingernail infection, which they were unable to accurately diagnose. We tried 4 different antibiotics, 2 didn't work, and the other 2 I couldn't even keep down. By this time I had the infection for almost a month and it was getting much worse. Finally, we did Levaquin for 2 1/2 months. Yes, Levaquin for 2 1/2 months just for a finger/fingernail infection. I had an MRI, the infection had made contact with the bone and we thought I was going to have to do IV antibiotics. Thank God, they decided it was a false positive. The Levaquin worked, finger healed. Price tag $4000 altogether. However, towards the end of the time I was taking the antibiotics, I was having all these weird digestive problems. Hard to swallow, felt like there was food constantly stuck in my throat, burping which I have never had (sometimes even food would start to come back up, disgusting), and a strange combination of diarhea and constipation pretty much at the same time. I also always felt like there was a small, scratchy piece of food in my throat which I couldn't get to go down, and couldn't cough up. So frustrating. I could barely eat anything before I was full and very uncomfortable, and could barely get anything accomplished in the bathroom. I was miserable, and the doctors were not helping. Put me on Prilosec OTC, did no good. Out of desperation, I went to local health food store and told the ladies there my symptoms, They handed me 2 bottles and assured me I'd be better in a month. I was very sceptical, but also desperate to try anything, so I took the products. I was feeling better in one week !!!! I stayed with it for a month and a half, then stopped the products and symptoms have not returned. Also, to my delight, had no side effects with these products. So here they are for anyone to try. I wish all the best of luck and health. It is no fun being miserable.
Ultimate Flora (will be in refrigerated section)
4Digestion by Genesis Today
My mother was a health food holistic type growing up, to the point she wouldn't take us to a doctor for anything, only holistic places. There were times she could have endangered us by not taking us to doctor in a timely manner. I really turned my back on that after I moved out and went the total medical community route. After my finger situation I realize they each have their place in our lives and health, and we are lucky to have both as resources. Everything in moderation, and willingness to be open-minded is crucial! Happy Health to everyone.

Last edited by BadKitty88; 02-17-2008 at 10:41 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to BadKitty88 For This Useful Post:
Peechuz_JWalker (10-14-2012)
Old 02-17-2008, 11:09 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Charla,

Quote:
I've had the "lump" but I've moved beyond that and there is "something" not going the right way or taking a U-Turn and head the other direction.
What happens after the lump goes away?
Are there new (and worse) symptoms?

FG

Old 02-18-2008, 01:08 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

Flower Girl,

I think you will get better. As you know, we are all different and I guess I can look at it this way.....the lump is gone because "finally" something came up. I think way back when the GERD was so bad (along with the LPR) that the PPI's, carafate, reglan and TIME helped my stomach get well. At least my scope doesn't show anything anymore. This is gross but I can remember sitting at this very desk feeling the lump in my throat when all of a sudden I would feel like something was crawling up from my esophogus all the way into my mouth. And sure enough, I would get that choke feeling and cough out "something." Before this, I felt like if I could just take a deep enough breath, I could cough out the lump. So, I can't say that I don't have the feeling of "the lump" in my the middle of my throat anymore BUT I have the feeling of the whole right side of my neck to my ears feel full and that I need to press on that side of my neck to "move things up." It's a very weird feeling and I hate it. Thankfully, it hasn't felt real bad in quite awhile and my voice is perfect. When I get those bad spells it's along with the can't breath, elephant sitting on me, kind of feeling and I lose my voice. I get really sick and have to stay home for few days. Like I have the flu or something?

Charla

Old 02-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Charla,

thank you SO much for taking the time to describe your symptoms. I seem to be having a day like that today. The elephant on the chest type of a thing, harder to breathe and stuff coming up, feels like a cold or flu. It's so very good to know other people have it, too. I don't know anyone with these symptoms. If people have them, they don't talk about them. Learning about these things through other people's experiences is priceless.

FG

Old 02-19-2008, 09:00 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Like you, I don't actually know of another single "real" person to discuss this with. I've made my own diagnoses on some people though! LOL. There has got to be many among us because the ENT spec speaks of them. But, it seems they all get well!

Charla

Closed Thread