It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2008, 04:31 PM   #1
(female)

Mstic1 HB User
Can vitamins make Acid Reflux and Heartburn worse?

Hi everyone,

I am new to the boards and am hoping that someone can help me with this question.

A few weeks ago, Dr. Oz was on the Oprah show talking about a good vitamin regime that everyone can follow. Since I've been feeling so awful trying to deal with my GERD and now possibily something with my gallbladder....I thought I would start taking them all. MISTAKE!

Earlier in the week I had SEVERE heartburn at night (felt like I swallowed a gallon of kerosene). I didn't take any vitamins last night and not too surprising....no heartburn.

Does anyone know which one of these could be causing this?

Low dose baby aspirin
Calcium
Magnesium
Vitamin E
Vitamin C
Multivitamin
Fish Oil

Thanks in advance and I look forward to talking with you,
Mysticwingz

Old 02-14-2008, 05:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
Re: Can vitamins make Acid Reflux and Heartburn worse?

This is different for everyone. It really depends on your system and how sensitive you are. For me on your list, I can't tolerate baby asprin, vit-C, 1 whole multi vitamin and fish oil. But that's me. I also have to live on iron supplements, so I take the multi vit in two seperate doses, cut in half like Doc Oz said, and it works well for me. One multi will cause burning for me for days. Never lay down after taking these either. Good luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2008, 09:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

I just bought this stupid book tonite on how vitamins in mega doses can cure anything. And this guy is not supposed to be a quack. I do believe there is other alternatives than drugs to get well. Mainly our diets and how quick are we to want to change life styles. Anyway, his spill on acid reflux was nothing we didn't already know other than maybe cabbage juice. Juice fast were also high up there in curing a boat load of diseases. He may be right for all I know.

Charla

Old 02-14-2008, 10:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Mystic,

I take the exact same vitamins/supplements (and a few additional ones). I think that as far as the supplements go, these are the very best of them all. Maybe you shouldn't take them all at once - try taking them twice a day or even three times a day. It helps if you take them with food. Another option is not taking them at all. If you are in good health and eat a well-balanced diet, you should be getting enough nutrients.

Your heartburn might have been caused by something you ate that day that did not agree with you. Happens to me sometimes - and the stomach aches all night.

FG

Old 02-15-2008, 11:47 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

I have tried numerous times and ways to take vitamins and supplements- even trying Flinstones children's vitamins... - after a few days it ALWAYS made my GERD WORSE - really really bad.... I finally just try to satisfy my nutrition with my diet - but it is hard because with the GERD there are a lot of foods I cannot eat (tomatos, cucs, citrus, and on and on and on) -- what an uphill battle this is....

Old 02-15-2008, 04:23 PM   #6
(male)

DKTemp HB User

It is possible. I know certain vitamins make the nausea part flare up for me, but I've never been able to narrow down which ones, exactly.

But, I think you should follow the advice of the posters above. And one trial does not prove or disprove anything. Also, I've found that sometimes it takes a few days to "reach equilibrium" anyway. So, it's also possible that it makes it flare up at first, but after a few days, you would be normal.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:06 PM   #7
(female)

Mamasan2007 HB User

I have tried vitamins-
I'm done, never again they make me so extremely nauseous and I reflux them up. So I end up tasting them all day...
Vitamins are just not an option for me.
I take Nexium and battle LPR reflux
I eat a very careful diet also.

Last edited by Mamasan2007; 02-16-2008 at 12:07 PM.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:36 PM   #8
(female)

Pat007 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticWingz View Post
Hi everyone,

I am new to the boards and am hoping that someone can help me with this question.

A few weeks ago, Dr. Oz was on the Oprah show talking about a good vitamin regime that everyone can follow. Since I've been feeling so awful trying to deal with my GERD and now possibily something with my gallbladder....I thought I would start taking them all. MISTAKE!

Earlier in the week I had SEVERE heartburn at night (felt like I swallowed a gallon of kerosene). I didn't take any vitamins last night and not too surprising....no heartburn.

Low dose baby aspirin
Calcium
Magnesium
Vitamin E
Vitamin C
Multivitamin
Fish Oil

Mysticwingz

It is a possibility that several of the OTC medications you have started on are causing your GERD to act up.

Do some research on "GERD" via the internet. Lot's of reading there...

If the Calcium you are taking is a solid pill, it might not be desolving quickly. Maybe a chewable Calcium would be better.

Asiprin in high doses can cause GERD.

One thing is suggested is that : As soon as you feel heartburn coming on....then start drink plenty of water.

Try taking your supplements on a full, rather then empty stomach and like one poster said, spreading it out during the day.

Maybe some at breakfast and some at lunchtime.

Note: It has been suggested that taking Vitimin C can inhibit the absorbtion of calcium.
Maybe take a chewable calcium before beditme.

Last edited by Pat007; 02-16-2008 at 01:38 PM. Reason: mispelled words

Old 02-16-2008, 10:16 PM   #9
(female)

Lynn8 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticWingz View Post

Low dose baby aspirin
Calcium
Magnesium
Vitamin E
Vitamin C
Multivitamin
Fish Oil

Mysticwingz
I think it is the Vitamin C. It happened to me a few yrs ago, until now I never take vit C supplement anymore.
Try taking all the vitamins you were taking before but NOT the Vit C.
Multivitamin already has Vit C in it.
If you still have the problem, try taking all the vitamins, but NOT the Vit C and NOT the baby Aspirin either.

Closed Thread