It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2008, 06:51 PM   #1
(male)

master44 HB User
Nexium - How to wean off??

I am 31 years old and have been taking Nexium for approximately 6 months, I was put on it when I went to the hospital for chest pain last summer. After going to the hospital I was sent for an endoscopy where the GI doctor didn't see anything, but told me to stay on nexium for 4-6 months as he felt I had GERD induced by stress. Now 6 months later I want to get off the medication as I don't want to have to take it the rest of my life. 2 weeks ago I went to my primary care doctor and he told me to start taking Prilosec OTC in place of nexium and then after a week goto one prilosec everyother day and then after 2 weeks stop taking any pills. So yesterday I took a prilosec in place of the nexium and later that afternoon felt some reflux, but nothing too bad. Then this morning my chest was burning and I felt like something was caught in my throat. Throughout the day things just got worse, so I called my doctor and he told me to take a nexium. I took the nexium and still feel pretty bad 8 hours later.

I have noticed in the past that if I took my nexium in the afternoon before dinner rather than my normal schedule of in the morning, I would pay for the next 24 hours with reflux. It's as if my body knew I took it late and makes me pay.

So now I want off this stuff, I saw another post about someone who bought capsuls and slowly tapered their dose down by breaking the capsuls and filling his own, but I am not comfortable with that. I have tried mylanta or tonic water when the acid kicks up, but that doesn't help much if any. It is like the only thing that gives me any relief is to take the nexium on schedule.

Any success stories on weaning or things to try during the aparent rebound?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2008, 08:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: Nexium - How to wean off??

I got off Protonix slowly by taking it every other day at first. I didn't use over the counter medicaton in it's place but I made sure to stay on a bland diet, and stay off of the pain medicaton that was causing the problems in the first place. Then I skipped two days in between Protonix pills and so on. It took me about a year to get off it completely and to realize that some of the symptoms were actually side effects of the Protonix.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:16 AM   #3
(male)

Timbrado HB User
Re: Nexium - How to wean off??

I had the same experience just last week; i've been on protonix for almost a year and a half; i started with lpr symptoms and only developed heartburnish problems six months into the ppi; i had been feeling pretty good and have wanted to get off the stuff and so two weeks ago today went off cold turkey and a few days later developed first a very strange sore throat i'd never had before, and then a horrible bout of burning that almost sent me to er; i'm back on protonix an dfeeling better but i plan to get rid of protonix; you really have to taper off this stuff, otherwise the rebound is worse than the heartburn that got us on this junnk....i'm going to try again in a month, take the slow route...
good luck to us all

Closed Thread