It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2008, 12:48 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User
Lightbulb Slippery Elm?

Has anybody had any success with using "Slippery Elm" as a supplement to help with their reflux symptoms? I have read that it's supposed to form a lining which helps in the control of symptoms- especially at night when one is lying down. I would love to get off the Nexium which doesn't seem to be working anymore anyway & wondered if this could be an alternative? I've recently bought a "wedge" to use while sleeping & this seems to help a bit. Thanx for reading!

Old 02-17-2008, 10:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User
Re: Slippery Elm?

I think I remember using the slippery elm? Have tried every other thing out there! I would lose my voice for weeks and months at a time so I have more the LPR problem and fight the symptoms daily. I must not have gotten very good results or I would remember but I was recommended to try slippery elm by a friend who sang in a band. If you suffer more from GERD, which I have too licorice may help you more than slippery elm. Like you, I've been on Nexium (and many others) over they years and start feeling like it's not working so searching for alternative meds constantly.

Good luck and hope you are feeling better.

Charla

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
(female)

Mamasan2007 HB User

I tried slippery elm and DGL (licorice) and neither one helped me-
The only thing that helped was a PPI

Old 02-18-2008, 11:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

Be glad at least you found a PPI that helped! Sometimes I wonder if all the meds do me any good or not.

Charla

Old 02-18-2008, 12:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

I am with ya Charla - ever since I was told to treat my Acid/GERD (which I had no idea I even HAD) - to try and help with my breathing problems - the acid has been WORSE -- now there is barely ANYTHING that I can eat without feeling like YUCK - and I feel the acid/nastiness almost constantly. Do not feel like it is helping - feel like it made it worse.

Tried going off - the rebound reflux was HORRID......

Closed Thread