It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2008, 01:53 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User
Prednisone & GERD

Hello ALL

I have been prescribed a short dose of Prednisone from my bronchitis (40mg for 3 days, 20mg for 3 days, and 10mg for 3 days). I have never taken this drug before and am 'nervous'. Any suggestions on how to keep it from exacerbating my reflux? I start taking it with breakfast tomorrow.

Thanks!

Vanessa

Old 03-14-2008, 06:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: Prednisone & GERD

Hi Vanessa,

I can't offer any advice. I would like you to know that I am very relieved to hear something is being done that might help with your breathing. Could an asthma or GERD somehow have caused the irritation? I think your recent cold is most likely to blame. I hope the medication works for you and helps you breathe better.

Good luck,
flowergirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Thanks Flower,

Dr. thinks I picked up a nasty virus that is going around here - because of my 'history' of asthma, it hit me hard. Funny thing he said is this new virus is hitting adults much harder than children (both of my boys had it and got over it quickly).

I am worried about the Prednisone making my GERD worse -- but I really need it, so I will just have to try and deal with it.

Thanks again I hope that you are feeling and doing GREAT!

Nessa

Old 03-15-2008, 10:18 AM   #4
(female)

Pat007 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa74 View Post
Hello ALL

I have been prescribed a short dose of Prednisone from my bronchitis (40mg for 3 days, 20mg for 3 days, and 10mg for 3 days). I have never taken this drug before and am 'nervous'. Any suggestions on how to keep it from exacerbating my reflux? I start taking it with breakfast tomorrow.

Thanks!

Vanessa
Try taking Zantac/Ranitidine, over the counter, 30-45 minutes before taking the prednisone. You might want to take another Zantac in the evening.

Also, keep a supply of tums on had to use throughout the day.

Drink LOTS of water.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:45 AM   #5
(male)

greg1x HB User
Talking Re: Prednisone & GERD

Good luck, I hope you have better luck with steroids and your GERD. The two times I have had to take a Medrol dosepac it has greatly increased my GERD. Greg

Quote:
Hello ALL

Thanks!

Vanessa

Old 03-15-2008, 02:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Thanks Pat

I will take your advice....

I hope it does not exacerbate my reflux - but I really need it so I don't have much of a choice right now

Thanks - Nessa

Old 03-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #7
(female)

Pat007 HB User

Quote:
Thanks Pat

I will take your advice....

I hope it does not exacerbate my reflux - but I really need it so I don't have much of a choice right now

Thanks - Nessa
It probably/might exacerbate your gerd so take the Zantac and Tums as a precaution, there is no need to wait to see.

If you should experience some upper GI frustration from the medication, the Zantac & Tums will help to keep it a tolerable level.

Last edited by Pat007; 03-15-2008 at 02:32 PM.

Closed Thread