It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2008, 06:52 AM   #1
(female)

mommytimes4 HB User
What else besides meds can I use??

I have been diagnosed with GERD, hiatal hernia, and at one point had a duodenal (sp?) ulcer. I have been taking Previcid for this for over a year. I have also joined Weight Watchers, as the Dr said losing about 20 pounds might help ease my symptoms. I hate taking medicine of any kind for extended periods. I read somewhere on a board that you should only take Previcid for a maximum of 8 weeks. I had not heard this before, and plan on talking to my Dr about this next month at my yearly physical. I was hoping to find something natural that I could do to help with my relux, instead of relying on meds that I feel would have effects after an extended amount of time taking them. I guess I am looking for any kind of recommendations from any of you, that have worked without taking the prescriptions all the time. Thanks!

Old 03-17-2008, 06:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
Re: What else besides meds can I use??

If you have GERD and Hiatal Hernia which I have both also, I don't think that you can get off the meds. I have been on for 8 years and it only gets worse. In fact I go in tomorrow to talk further about my symptoms. My mom got BE from not being treated soon enough. That's why I think if you have the HH, you need to stay on meds of some form. People do not agree but my doc said that it is a disease that does not get better it only progresses. That has been my personal experience too. I know this isn't true for everyone, so no need to reply to that comment just saying what I was told. FLFLOWERGIRL

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 03-17-2008 at 06:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
(female)

stardust11 HB User
Re: What else besides meds can I use??

Do a search for DGL Licorice and Mastic Gum.
You may also look up Apple Cider Vinegar, Baking Soda, Aloe Vera Juice, Enzymes, Tri-Salts..... There are various things that seem to work for different people.

Last edited by stardust11; 03-19-2008 at 09:51 PM.

Closed Thread