It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2008, 04:47 PM   #1
(female)

tlily HB User
Sore throat...infection or acid reflux?

Hi Guys

I have had a mild sore throat since Feb 6 along with some burning in the stomach and stuffy nose. I have suffered from reflux in the past for 8 months straight. Now I think i have LPR to. Went to the doctors two weeks ago and am now on 80mg of nexium.

Wed. my throat got worse and my ear hurts. Went to the doctors and he said I have an ear infection and a little red throat. He put me on amoxicillin. Today my throat hurts a lot. I am wondering if reflux can cause the ear infection? Also thinking if I do have an infection or is it reflux.

I am so depressed feeling like this. the last time the burning lasted for 8 months. It is horrible that we all have to suffer this way. It seems that when we get it under control it last for a while then all #@%% breaks lose.

I think of scarey things like throat cancer. I never had a sore throat that lasted this long and which becomes worse. I see my gastro doctor next week. I am so done with all this.

Thanks
Tlily

Old 03-21-2008, 07:27 PM   #2
(female)

cl84 HB User
Re: Sore throat...infection or acid reflux?

My throat isn't sore but feels irritated all the time. I also have ear pain almost continually, sometimes unbearable. Dr. says my ears look normal so I am guessing it is referred pain which I understand is common with LPR. I have been suffering with this for a year. I am going for a second ENT opinion. I also think of the scary things. I think it's natural when you feel so awful for so long. Most days I feel pretty lousy.

Hang in there!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2008, 06:20 AM   #3
(female)

tlily HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl84 View Post
My throat isn't sore but feels irritated all the time. I also have ear pain almost continually, sometimes unbearable. Dr. says my ears look normal so I am guessing it is referred pain which I understand is common with LPR. I have been suffering with this for a year. I am going for a second ENT opinion. I also think of the scary things. I think it's natural when you feel so awful for so long. Most days I feel pretty lousy.

Hang in there!
Thanks for your reply. I am trying to hang in there. I had Gred with out LPR symptoms for 8 months and then little by little I began to feel a little human again. this lasted for 5 months and then get hit with it again plus the LPR symptoms. It is hard to stay postive these days. I know we all have them.

I just do not know what to think when the doc says it is an infection but something tells me it is not. I guess I should finish the antibiotics and then see. I hope it is an infection and gets better. If it is not then what can they really do. I have been through all the meds and nothing helps. Just want to feel and be normal again. It really changes our lives.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Good luck with your doctors' appointment, Tilly. I agree with you, this is no fun. I don't understand any of it. How can one go from having not a single symptom or a sign of any stomach problem to what I have now in a period of less than a year is beyond me. I have a feeling this is not going away. I wonder if the costly medication I take is just a waste of money. It seems to have made everything much worse.

I have the same problem - difficulty in determining what is a symptom of LPR or GERD and what isn't. Earaches are common with LPR for some reason. The throat problems are not unusual either. I had a stuffy nose and cold-like symptoms for months, non-stop. I guess that's the sinus thing, also common. I thought at first these symptoms were a side effect of one or more of my meds.

Good luck to you.
flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 03-23-2008 at 09:45 AM.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:49 PM   #5
(female)

Kassie29 HB User

Tilly,
My experience sounds very similar to yours -- GERD symptoms started 7 months ago. Was put on omerperzole first (did nothing). Had an endoscopy in late November and there was no evidence of damage but there was a small hiatial hernia. Was then put on Nexium, which helped quite a bit and I was able to carry on daily activities without being bothered too much. Then about a month ago, the sore throat started, and the lump feeling, and the hoarseness. It's there every minute of the day. I'm going to see an ENT next week to see what else may be going on. I think it might now have progressed to LPR. Sigh.

Flowergirl,
I agree with you. I cannot understand how one can go from having absolutely no problems one day to full blown problems just days/months later. I can actually pinpoint the exact day when this all started last September and I haven't had a symptom-free day since.

I hope we can all find the answer to our problems one day!

Kassie

Old 03-25-2008, 04:00 PM   #6
(female)

tlily HB User

kassie Good luck with the ENT. Please let me know how you made out. I have a gastro doctor appointment on thurs. I bet he will send me to an ENT to. I am afraid to go to any doctor. I am so tierd of this. I stayed home from work yesterday and came home sick today. I am sick to my stomach and am running to the bathroom. Don't know if it is acid or virus. I am so done with feeling this way.

Flowergirl I have had all those symptoms since Feb 6 and now new ones are appearing. Three months ago I felt alright. Not great but alright.....now horrible. I don't understand why it is so hard to treat.

Has anyone talked to their doctor about how difficult this is to treat? the tell me it is stress...or in my head which means....they do not know. Sorry I am just frustrated.

tlily

Old 03-25-2008, 11:17 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Tilly,

Quote:
Flowergirl I have had all those symptoms since Feb 6 and now new ones are appearing. Three months ago I felt alright. Not great but alright.....now horrible. I don't understand why it is so hard to treat.
I can't belive how rapidly all of my symptoms appeared. I would have expected them to appear gradually and over a longer period of time. That was not the case. After the occurence of the acid reflux symptoms the others followed in quick succession. As is the case with you, new symptoms still keep appearing. I think I've had them all by now. Fortunately they don't all occur at the same time, allowing me to function reasonably well. I do wish I didn't have this type of a problem though. I find it only slightly more tolerable than not being able to breathe.
Good luck on Thursday - please let us know how it goes for you.

flowergirl

Old 03-26-2008, 05:11 PM   #8
(female)

tlily HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
Tilly,

I can't belive how rapidly all of my symptoms appeared. I would have expected them to appear gradually and over a longer period of time. That was not the case. After the occurence of the acid reflux symptoms the others followed in quick succession. As is the case with you, new symptoms still keep appearing. I think I've had them all by now. Fortunately they don't all occur at the same time, allowing me to function reasonably well. I do wish I didn't have this type of a problem though. I find it only slightly more tolerable than not being able to breathe.
Good luck on Thursday - please let us know how it goes for you.

flowergirl
Thanks I will let you know.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:36 PM   #9
(female)

tlily HB User

Just returned from the doctors. I have to have another scope in april. He said that he wants to take another look to see if anything changed. He also said to stay on 80mg of nexim for now.

I had this done two times about two years ago. I am afraid to do it again. I guess I am afraid of the procudure and the results.

Tlily

Old 03-27-2008, 05:26 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Tlily,

I will pray for you... I hope the results are favorable for you and the Dr. comes with a plan for you to find some relief quickly.

God Bless You.

Vanessa

Old 03-28-2008, 10:33 AM   #11
(female)

Kassie29 HB User

Good luck with your scope, Tlily. At least you don't have to wait too long to get it done. I know I was very nervous about my scope last November, not about the procedure itself, but the possible outcome. Luckily, no damage was evident but they did find the hiatial hernia.
How do you feel on 80 mg of Nexium? I am currently taking 40 mg, but was told I can double the dose. I did this a couple of times but didn't feel too great so have been limiting myself to 40 mg and use Gavison when needed. I am concerned about taking these meds long term. Will see what the ENT says next Wednesday.

Kassie

Old 03-28-2008, 03:28 PM   #12
(female)

tlily HB User

Kassie

The first two days that I double the dose of nexium I did not feel too good but then I began to feel better. I hate taking that much so I think i may double the dose every other day to see if that works. I do feel a little better with the double dose but not terific. the symptoms ae still there...just not as intense. Thanks for you support. I just hate having that scope again.

Vanessa Thank you so much for your support. I become so frustrated at times like a lot of people with this problem. You try everything while being hopefull and if it does not work you are back to square one.

Tlily

Old 03-28-2008, 07:32 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Tilly,

I am glad you've had your appointment. Thanks for the update. Do not be afraid to go for another test -it will help determine an appropriate treatment and help you in the long run. I am long overdue for mine. I need to see the right doctor (I think I have too many) and get that going. Anyway, I just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you. Being tested is a good thing and certainly nothing to be afraid of. I can't wait to have mine - how long will I have to wait for one, I wonder....

take care,
flowergirl

Old 04-04-2008, 10:28 AM   #14
(female)

Kassie29 HB User

Hi everyone,

I went for my visit to the ENT on Wednesday. He did the test where they pass the thin tube through your nose and into your throat. It wasn't bad at all, as the spray numbed everything. He said that he didn't see any "tumours, cancer, or anything suspicious" (phew) that would be obvious causes of my almost constant tender throat, hoarseness problem, or lump feeling. He said it's all related to my hiatial hernia and GERD, and said when it comes up to the throat level, it's LPR. The best way to treat it is, surprise, surprise, with PPIs. Nexium is the best (and I'm already on it and still have symptoms, aaargh, just different ones than I had when this all started). He suggested splitting up my dose -- so instead of taking one 40 mg pill once a day, take two 20 mg pills twice a day. This sometimes help to stop breakthrough acid. So I have the new prescription and will try that. I asked about getting off meds and he said "no, with your symptoms, you will likely need to stay on these meds for life, but the symptoms may get better over time." He suggested seeing a gastro to perhaps have some further tests done (have only had the endoscopy so far at a private clinic). Will talk to my family doctor about getting this appoinment set up. Sigh. It seems never ending.

Kassie

Old 04-04-2008, 04:41 PM   #15
(female)

tlily HB User

Kassie

That is great news. I hope the nexium helps. I take 40 mg of nexium a day. I was taking 80 mg a day but it was giving me heart palps. My sore throat has been getting a little better but still have to clear my throat in the morning a lot. I get hoarse in the afternoon a lot because in my job Ihave to talk a lot.

I am having a scope on April 23 to check on everything. I probaly should go to an ENT to check the throat to because I worry that it could be something worse that LPR. My ear has gotten better to but then again it can start up again like before. I am afraid to be scoped through the nose. I am glad that yours we well and it wasn't bad.

Hope that you feel better so. You never know which way it is going to go. We can only have hope.

Tlily

Closed Thread