It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2008, 12:03 PM   #1
(male)

huckfinn HB User
Laparoscopic, or "minimally invasive," fundoplication surgery

I am supposed to have laparoscopic, or "minimally invasive," fundoplication surgery soon. My reasons for this procedure is that I have a large hiatal hernia due to childbirth, that causes acid reflux, and can cause acid fumes to enter my lungs and cause pneumonia, and other damage. The second reason is that I need to stop the proton pump inhibitor medicines like Nexium and Prilosec. These medicines will reduce the effectiveness of a fungicide that my pulmonologist wants me to start, due to Allergic Bronchio Pulmonary Aspergillosis (ABPA).

I have read all of the thread on "fundoplication surgery", and it seems like this surgery is very controversial. I started a new thread because as I understand it, this surgery is most common for hiatal hernia repair.

If there is more information on this surgery, especially as it applies to HH repair, I would love to hear it, or any info at all on this surgery.

One specific question I have is do doctors/surgeons in general really have enough experience with this new minimally invasive type surgery? Another question is there more success with the older, more invasive abdominal surgery?

Thanks so much in advance

P.S. I am posting under my husband's name or account here...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
(female)

stimi3ak HB User
Re: Laparoscopic, or "minimally invasive," fundoplication surgery

I had this procedure this past December of 2007. I am not refluxing anymore but I did develop gastro paresis which is a complication that is not common. I already had stomach problems to begin with so this is not a surprise for my gastroenterologist or the surgeon who is the best in this field for my state.

I had a large hiatal hernia which they had to pull down and use this chicken wire mesh stuff (I don't know the medical term for it) to keep it from popping back up again. All of this would have been successful if it were not for the gastro paresis that I developed.

Having gastro paresis feels just like having the hernia did where there is always pressure in the middle of my chest and difficulty breathing.

If your doctor's feel this is something that needs to get done I would not hesistate to do it. I did seek a 2nd opinion from the surgeon before continuing with the procedure and all agreed I really needed it. I do not regret doing it and I've been told when the gastro paresis is cured I will enjoy the benefits this surgery is known to bring about.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2008, 08:32 AM   #3
(male)

huckfinn HB User

Thanks so much Stimi3ak

Did you have the minimally invasive type, or Laparoscopic surgery? So sorry you have the gastroparesis. I hope that it is over very, very soon.

I have read about a lot of Fundiplication surgery that has gone wrong. In fact I read that this surgery sometimes damages the vagus nerve that runs from the brain stem to the colon, and causes gastroparesis.

My husband takes calcium channel blockers and I just read that they can also cause gastroparesis.

Thanks for the information and get well soon

Old 04-08-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
(male)

rdawg6198 HB User

I had the laproscopic surgery done. Everything went fine. The gas pains from the Co2 were terrible and lasted about 2 weeks, but after that went away, things got much better. I have been making steady progress since then. Mostly where my problems are located at this point is my upper throat area, which was damaged by the reflux. According to my doctors, it may take as long as 6-8 months to heal totally. Since I was on a diet of mostly ensure for over 4 months, I lost about 100lbs. As I am reintroducing foods, I sometimes have complcations too. Cheese-Its (the only cheese I have exposed myself to) gave me sharp stabbing pains in the stomach, though they weren't gas pains. They lasted for about 2 hours. Last night I had severe gas pains...the worst of have ever had in my life by far. I knew it wasn't a heart attack so I didn't worry about that. I could breathe freely, although it was very painful to do so. I was climbing the walls so bad that my parents called 911. The paramedics were leaning towards transporting me but, of course, about the time they arrived, the pain started to ease. I will wait before combining brocolli, mashed potatoes and only waiting an hour then having ice cream. Its been 6 weeks since my surgery. I have eaten all those things seperately without problems, but they do put brocolli on the "be careful" list after a fundoplication

Old 04-08-2008, 10:25 AM   #5
(female)

stimi3ak HB User

I wanted to update on my previous posting. After an emergency EGD due to severe shortness of breath it was discovered I do not have gastro paresis. The reason I had an abnormal gastric emptying test is because I have a very large para esophageal hernia where the food was getting stuck. I am to have surgery again very soon and will find out the date this afternoon. This is not common at all and has nothing to do with my surgery. I just didn't want to give you the impression I still had gastro paresis.

I also wanted to agree with the previous poster. The pain from the Co2 was prominent in my left shoulder for about two weeks after the surgery. The first few days were excruciating when I would move or get up from bed. That is normal and it does go away. I would have a heating pad handy as it was very helpful for me.

I did not have any adverse gas/bloating reactions to any food. You do pass gas a lot more because that is the only way it now has to leave your body.

I would still do it all over again. The benefits far outweigh the cons for me.

Closed Thread