It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
(female)

londoner70 HB User
What should I do? need advice please

Copy of the GI's letter to my GP arrived today. the report said histology reports showed no evidence of active or significant chronic inflammation however the endoscopic appearances were of mild gastritis and erosive duodenitis.
The H.Pylori test was negative . It was positive back in September but I went through the antibiotics.

So why am I still suffering if the bacteria eradication therapy worked back in October? I am suffering badly. He himself told me in my first endoscopy my inside looked better than the second endscopy, so what is causing it? I don't take the meds that cause this, don't drink, or smoke, and eat normally.

Whilst I was on PPI(prevacid) my condition got worst. Since my endoscopy 3 weeks ago I have been on Prevacid, Nexium, and then last week he put me on Protoxin(Pantoparazole 40mg plus carafate 4g a day), but I have now got new symptoms, I am constantly bloated, like a 7months pregnant woman, and last night was so ill it felt like someone has opened a gas tap inside my stomach, it felt really strange as if I was breathing in gas.
So today I changed back to nexium.
Is this normal to have gastritis without a known reason? is it normal not to see results with PPIs? I am just really scared, and when you research the net you come across some really scary stuff, which made me really panic last night.
I have been trying to get a hold of the GI, kept leaving him messages to ask him whether I shouuld take 2 Nexiums a day? Does anyone else take 2 a day?
Please reply if you have any answers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2008, 07:00 PM   #2
(male)

lpriffic HB User
Re: What should I do? need advice please

Londoner,

Perhaps the best piece of advice I can offer you is to relax. I know this is so much easier said than done (I wanted to kick people in the teeth when they would tell me to relax! How can I relax, I thought, when I'm worried sick!!), but it is essential that you remain as stress-free as possible in order to begin the healing process. Your symptoms/results sound all-to familiar - a quick browse of the additional posts on this board will inform you that you are far from alone.

LPR/GERD manifests itself differently in each person, and each person has their own triggers that set it off; for me, it was gluten and dairy products. Just days after eliminating these foods from my diet I felt 100% better. This is not to say that my triggers are your triggers however - it took a lot of time and experimentation to derive my conclusion.

Regarding medicines, some seem to have luck with them, while others have none - or even worse - the medications exacerbate the problem. This was the case with me, and after several months of bloating, cramping, chest pain, etc., I swore off medicine for good. Allow me to climb on my soapbox for one moment - I believe the body is a magnificent instrument that, when treated right and properly nourished, has the capacity to heal and maintain itself. Medicines only disrupt this cycle.

Again, please relax, realize that: one, you are not dying; and two, you are not alone. When I first researched my condition on the internet I was certain that I had stomach cancer, esophageal cancer, throat cancer, problems with my gallbladder, lymphoma, and every other illness for which I had even one symptom in common with! So do whatever is necessary to ease the stress and take your mind off your pain - I recommend a nice book (perhaps Dickens or Steinbeck) and a tasty cup of tea.

God Bless.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:18 AM   #3
(female)

londoner70 HB User

Thank you so much for your reply. You have no idea how much you helped me with your response. I have been very depressed over the past year due to my different symptoms, from burning mouth, sinus problems, recurring ulcers, which I am sure are all related to my digestive system, and have seen so many different consultants for each problem, and like you thought the worst. It is a shame that they are others who suffer like me, but in a way a relief that I am not alone, it just scares me that I need to somehow control it, and if I don't it might lead to other horrible problems, but by worrying like this, I am making life a misery for myself and people around me.
Your advice means a lot me, and I agree that I believe food has a lot to do with it. I will start looking into this, and eliminating some triggers too.
And I have always been a worrier, and I know I need to relax more.
Thanks again, and good luck to you too.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:12 PM   #4
(female)

clairecanice HB User

londoner,
As a far as i know reflux can really only be detected with a barium swallow test, but because this has alot of radiation they r reluctant to do it on young people. as for the nexium are you on 20 or 40mgs. i take 40 mgs and i still get the symptoms. taking motilium and gaviscon can sometimes help. you have to try and stop panicking it took me a full year to get used to the symptoms and when they get worse i admit i do panick still. i have stopped using sauces with my dinners, i noticed they affected me badly. your best bet is to keep a diary of what foods you think may be triggering it and eliminate them from your diet, also have you had a test for ceoliac disease, you could have an intolerance for gluten. your endoscopy came back with duodenitis, this could be your problem, reflux manifests itself differently with different people, and remember tests and doctors are'nt fool proof!!!

Old 04-05-2008, 02:38 PM   #5
(female)

londoner70 HB User

Claircanice,
I take 40mg of Nexium, once a day, and also sucralfate 1g(4 times a day). I haven't really been tested for any diseases, I asked him to test for Zellinger(most probably misspelt) disease, because I had read about it and it really freaked me out. He said he will send me the blood test form. Ceoliac disease I haven't been tested for, but when I spoke to the consultant again yesterday I told him that mefdication doesn't seem to be that effective he said it could be something in my food, or environment which is causing this. My main worry I guess is that, I need to find out what is the cause? since 6 months ago my endoscopy just showed gastritis, and the second time around, I had gastritis plus erosive duodenitis, so if I don't prevent the cause what could happen next?
I also told the doctor that I sometimes feel like someone has opened a gas tap inside of my stomach, and it feels like I am breathing gas, and I am also very bloadted at times, also I have a lot of phlegm, he is referring me to respiratory consultant, but to be honest, I know this is all connected to my digestive system, and I feel that someting as you mentioned is irritating me.

Thanks for the reply.

Closed Thread