It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2008, 02:40 PM   #1
(male)

tauiota2 HB User
acid reflux gone since I started taking beta-blocker for blood pressure

Here is something interesting. I was suffering from mild acid-reflux on almost daily basis for the last 5-6 years. Two months ago started taking Metoprolol (25mg/day) to control my mild hypertension. Since I started taking the BP medication, acid reflux is gone for good! Even the most spicy wings will go through unnoticed. Any explanation for this? Is this something known to happen or I just got lucky?

Old 04-05-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User
Re: acid reflux gone since I started taking beta-blocker for blood pressure

WOW - that is FANTASTIC I am really happy for you!

I waqs on Toprol for 5 years - and it made my GERD worse????

I am really glad that you are not suffering - and can eat those spicy wings - I AM JEALOUS!!!

Take care and continue to feel GREAT!

Vanessa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi tauota,

Stranger things have happened. I am very happy for you and hope you continue to feel well. My breathing problems improved after I started taking Nexium. Whether or not it was a coincidence, I don't know. I used to be on an 800mg combo of an alpha/beta blocker -Labetalol, which I had to stop taking due to my breathing difficulties. The SOB improved for about two weeks, then resumed. Improved permanently (I certainly HOPE) after the Nexium. I am on a low dose of a cardio selective beta blocker now.

flowergirl

Old 04-07-2008, 07:01 AM   #4
(male)

huckfinn HB User

I hope that you are not one of the thousands (millions?) that mistake angina, due to coronary artery disease, for acid reflux.

Many have been found expired due to a heart attack, with a pack of Rolaids in their hand. My grandfather was one of them.

I do not wish to scare you, but I think all here should be aware of this phenomena; that is, acid reflux mimicking a heart attack.

My husband and most people with CAD/heart disease always take a PPI in order for this not to happen. Cardioligist almost demand it.

Good luck and congrats

P.S. A beta blocker takes a load off the heart by decreasing the heart rate, and by decreasing the strength of the muscle contraction, thereby lowering BP and sometimes relieving chest pain.

Last edited by huckfinn; 04-07-2008 at 07:06 AM. Reason: add info

Old 04-07-2008, 01:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

Beta blockers are used for anxiety also. Probably made you relax, stress was probably causing your reflux and now you don't have any. Lucky you.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi,

Quote:
I do not wish to scare you, but I think all here should be aware of this phenomena; that is, acid reflux mimicking a heart attack.
My husband and most people with CAD/heart disease always take a PPI in order for this not to happen. Cardioligist almost demand it.
Thank you very much for this reminder! How would the PPI prevent something like this from happening? I take Nexium and still get the reflux, more than ever.

Do you mean that it prevents the esophageal spasms? It's hard to know what to believe - the doctor saying not to worry, all pain is from stomach problems - when it does not feel that way in the least. It gets so very bad, leaving me exhausted and sore. I hope your hubby is doing OK and has had his CABG. Thanks for posting.

flowergirl

Old 04-09-2008, 09:06 AM   #7
(male)

huckfinn HB User
Smile Re: acid reflux gone since I started taking beta-blocker for blood pressure

I talked with my husband in length about this topic last night. We do not have the internet at home. I am at work now.

Cardiologist want any chest pain experienced by someone with CAD to be treated with fast acting nitro. They do not want heart disease/CAD patients to have to wonder if it is angina or GERD. So, they are put on PPIs if they have problems with GERD. This usually stops all symptoms from GERD if you are taking the correct dosage of a PPI (Nexium, prilosec, etc). Then if you have chest pain, you know it is from coronary artery disease (CAD).

In your case, your GERD or acid reflux is not relieved by your PPI. You should have an endoscopic analysis if you have not. You may have some damage to your esophagus. I hope not and you probably have had the endo.

I am sure that you are also aware that people that take PPIs do not absorb vitamin B12. B12 is broke down in the stomach by acid and absorbed in the small intestine. PPIs neutralize the acid and increases the PH of the stomach enzymes.

My husband and I have tested low on direct B12 measurement tests. We both receive B12 injections once per month. Another way to bypass the stomach, regarding absorption of B12, is through the use of sublingual B12 tablets. The B12 is directly absorbed into the blood stream.

Thanks for your kind note

Old 04-09-2008, 07:58 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you very much for the information you posted! I completely forgot about the b12 depletion the PPIs can cause. I am so glad you have reminded us about it.

I wish I could be certain my problems arise from the Vagus nerve and spasms. I am hoping the gastro will be able to shed some light on this situation. I have not had the scope done yet, only the barium swallow. I think the endoscopy is next. I am also having cardio testing. With my luck it will be impossible to tell EXACTLY what the problem is. Your post was most helpful. Thanks for sharing!

flowergirl

Closed Thread