It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #1
(female)

IcantBreathe HB User
Unhappy Feeling HOPELESS w/ GERD and Shortness of Breath

I have been dealing with this for almost 7 yrs. Almost constant shortness of breath b/c of GERD. 4 endoscopies show nothing but the polyps you get from PPI's. I had the upper GI series and it confirmed - bad reflux. I had the pH test and it confirmed - bad reflux. But no one is doing anything for me. Do I need to have the manometry? And how can i find more info on the vagal nerve. This all started when I had walking pneumonia. This is no way to live. I can't do anything anymore b/c of SOB. Any help is appreciated.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:19 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Feeling HOPELESS w/ GERD and Shortness of Breath

I had a manometry at the same time as my 24 hr PH. It just confirmed my esophageal sphincter isn't closing correctly. That is probably the case for you if the PH already confirmed you have reflux.

For me monitoring my diet and upping my dosage of PPI to two times per day helped get it under control.

I also found out I have asthma. I had to get both under control because for me one flares up the other.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2008, 04:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Like Mountain I found out that I have asthma (though the jury is still out on whether that is true or not) and GERD.

Unfortunately for me PPI's (I tried 4 different ones) gave me to many side effects (severe headaches, dizziness, nauseous, body aches, chest tightness) so I cannot not take them daily.

I also had to stop taking a certain type of HBP medication (beta blocker) because it was effecting both my breathing and making my reflux worse. I also take an extra strength Pepcid A/c AM & PM. I supplement with a B Vitamin complex and magnesium.

I have REALLY modified my diet removing almost ALL no no foods. I am careful about what I eat and when (no eating three hours before bed) - I sleep propped up, try to maintain good posturewhile walking and especially while sitting at my computer. I do not smoke or drink and I am not overweight.

All of this has helped some - enough to make it tolerable. If it gets really severe I will take PPI's for about a week to get it back to tolerable levels.

For me chest tightness (like a belt being wrapped around me) and HORRIBLE breathing problems are my main symptoms of reflux and GERD and I HATE THEM.... I am on asthma medications but they do not seem to help this (they do seem to help when I get bronchitis or a bad cold) - but not for this. I have a hiatal hernia that developed after I did not heal correctly from having my gallbladder removed my dr. says that makes my problems worse - but not bad enough for surgery -- yet.....

I have read on these very boards that you can get an infection of the vagus nerve after having a respiratory infection. If you search here you may be able to find it because it was not too long ago.

Best of luck to you - I hope that you find something that works for you soon.

Last edited by Vanessa74; 04-08-2008 at 04:15 AM.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi I can'tbreathe,

Quote:
4 endoscopies show nothing but the polyps you get from PPI's.
Would you please explain what symptoms (if any) to watch for after the polyps develop, and what can be done about them? Also, how long had you been on the PPIs before the polyps started?

You are not alone in having breathing difficulties. Many of us on this board are on the same boat. My doctor mentioned that the vagus nerve can cause all sorts of difficulties and chest pain. I wonder if I'd had an infection in the past - when having severe breathing problems with pain in the lungs- that might have infected this nerve also. Does this infection, once it occurs, run its course and go away, or is the nerve permanently damaged as a result? I think my breathing, though much improved, is starting to change.

Hang in there!

flowergirl

Old 04-09-2008, 04:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Oh Flower,

I hope that your breathing continues to be good - I will pray.

I have read that once the vagus nerve gets infected and/or damaged it can be VERY difficult to heal - and takes quite a LONG TIME. I am wondering if that is part of my problem and will brng it up with my Dr. next time.

I have also read that having surgeries in that area (for me my gallbladder) can cause Vagus Nerve Damage as well

Have a good day.

Vanessa

Old 04-09-2008, 08:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Vanessa,

Would you please ask about the Vagus nerve damage? And share with us what you might learn. I just learned from another poster on this board that calcium channel blockers cause gastroparesis in some people. I checked it out - very true. Some of the medications I take affect the gastrointenstinal tract - though details are often not provided and one must dig deep to find more detailed information.
I would not be surprised at all to learn some of my problems are just side effects of my medications.

FG

Old 04-09-2008, 10:45 AM   #7
(female)

CHALUPA HB User

Hi everyone,
Just like all of you I have had the shortness of breath now for 2 years. No ppi's have helped except to give me horrible side effects. Since being on the ppi's my symptoms hav gotten worse. I now every day feel like i am floainf=g like i am not in my body like i am always going down whether i am sitting or standing, and i have a constant banging noise in my left ear. I was on toprol for blood pressure when tis first started and was then witched to lotrel to see if it will help. No it did nothing. Now my docter afte a year of being on the lotrel said to go back on the toprol because maybe the lotrel is giving me the floating feeling. They are just playnig a guessing game. I was very over weight when this all started but i am not any longer i lost 110 pounds. I REMEMER THAT someody tryed ginger to anybody no any thing alse that might help i am at a loss.
I only now take pepcid complete. But i just saw they came out with pepcid maimium strength chewables what do you think???

Old 04-10-2008, 04:43 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Although I do believe that our breathing problems are related to our stomachs - I am starting to think that the medicines for GERD really do not help us (well most us, there are exceptions of course) - OTC or Prescription.

Chalupa - I feel that your floating feeling is caused by the PPI's - I had HORRIBLE side effects on them and cannot take them.

My breathing did improve a little after going off Toprol - so that was making things worse.

After trying MANY medications, modifying my diet, trying ALL those little tips that I have read - I am now suspecting 'interior physical damage'. By this I mean either Vagus Nerve Damage, Diaphragm Paralysis, or my Hiatal Hernia is getting worse - none of this at this point would medication help - which is why we are not feeling better. I suspect this for you as well as many others here.

I will discuss this with my Dr. and let you all know what he says. Hopefully it will be GOOD NEWS...

Hang in there - we are in this together.

Vanessa

Old 04-10-2008, 09:23 AM   #9
(female)

CHALUPA HB User

I have been of toprol for 1 year and my breathing did not get any better. They now put me back on it as of yesturday only 50 mg 1 per day. I have read that all bp meds can cause shortness of breath but i have been on them for years and never felt like this.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:53 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,

I find this rather strange. I am studying for an exam and have managed to stay awake and study (as opposed to falling asleep with the book in my lap).

I was asked to stop my beta blocker two days before my cardio test. I have done that. While sitting down and studying, I found it difficult to breathe normally (I mean, the way I normally breathe - which is not completely normal to begin with).

I don't understand why not taking the beta blocker would worsen my breathing. It just doesn't make any sense. I went through a terrible beta blocker withdrawal from a huge dose in the past. My breathing did not get WORSE then. This is what I find so puzzling. My current beta blocker dose is not even a big one.
I am confident everything will return to "normal" once I take the beta blocker again on Tuesday. Have any of you had a similar experience?

flowergirl

Old 04-14-2008, 08:45 AM   #11
(female)

CHALUPA HB User

When I went off the beta blocker at first I never just stopped they took me off them slowly. I am now back on them after 1 year of being on a different med.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:24 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Hi Flower,

I attempted once - some time ago to stop my Beta Blocker cold turkey (I know that was NOT smart) - however one of the symptoms I had was worsening of my breathing- severely.

When I did the gradual tapering that did not happen.

Hope you are feeling better today.

Nessa

Old 04-14-2008, 08:09 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I've just taken the beta blocker, along with my other meds in hopes things will go back to normal tonight. I don't normally take it in the evening because it keeps me awake all night. I skipped the CCB in order to keep the blood pressure from getting too low. My reflux is bad but otherwise I feel great. The SOB kept me up most of last night. It's not bad right now. Thanks, Vanessa! I hope you feel better soon.

FG

Old 04-15-2008, 08:38 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Chalupa,

Was there any difference in your breathing while OFF the beta blocker? Did it improve or get worse? How about when you went back on it? My breathing improved for about two weeks after I'd stopped this medication last year. Then it got bad again. This is why I don't think that the beta blocker is causing my SOB - though it CAN and DOES in people with asthma and other bronchial issues.
I hope you will find some relief. I am having awful sinus/throat issues today for a change. Reflux is still pretty bad but improving.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 04-15-2008 at 08:38 PM.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:57 AM   #15
(female)

CHALUPA HB User

tO tell you the truth i didn't see any diference o of them. I was of of them for about a year now I am back on them.

Closed Thread