It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2008, 05:05 PM   #1
(male)

Mystical HB User
Nexium questions

I just started taking Nexium a few days ago, with the slightest hope that it might actually be helpful. I just have a few questions:

1) My doctor recommended that I take it at lunch, because often I eat a larger dinner which can worsen symptoms. However, I notice problems even earlier in the day as well, so I've been taking it earlier before lunch time. Should this be a problem?

2) How long does it start to take effect? I know this may vary but I've heard different answers from immediately up to a month.

3) Anybody have positive stories about Nexium that could offer any hope?

Thanks!

Old 04-20-2008, 06:07 PM   #2
(female)

Stefarina HB User
Re: Nexium questions

For the most part, I would say you should start feeling better after several days of taking the Nexium. It does take several days for your body to adjust. I take mine at night before bed.

I notice if I have forgotten to take it one night, by mid to late in the day after I had forgotten.

You shouldn't eat within an hour of taking the medicine according to my prescription label. This is one reason I decided to take mine at night. It has helped me significantly, but it doesn't help as much if you eat the foods/beverages that trigger your issues. For me it is citrus items, tomato based stuff, peppermint, and at times chocolate.

What dosage are you taking? I hope it helps you. This is like my fourth different medication for GERD.

Keep us posted!
Stefarina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2008, 06:55 AM   #3
(male)

DKTemp HB User

I agree with the previous poster. It should take a few days to notice an effect.

I'd also say take some period (say an hour) before you usually start noticing symptoms. I started taking mine before dinner, so that I'd be covered for nighttime reflux as well as morning neusea.

Good luck.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:24 PM   #4
(male)

Mystical HB User

Thank you for the replies. I am taking 40mg/day. I think I'll have to wait awhile to know if it is really working because some weeks are good and some weeks are lousy, with or without meds. I guess that's how it is for a lot of people anyways.

I think finishing the school year and starting summer vacation will help with the symptoms too

Old 04-21-2008, 06:31 PM   #5
(female)

INMomof3 HB User

My doctor just prescribed me nexium 40mg and on my prescription it says to take an hour before eating. I just hope that it starts working soon.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:01 PM   #6
(male)

Mystical HB User

INMomof3,

I'm hoping with you! Have you tried any other medication or is this the first one?

Old 04-21-2008, 07:45 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Dk,

since you take your Nexium in the evening, how are you the FOLLOWING day? Do you find it controlls your acid reflux a whole twenty-four hour period?
It has been suggested by the pharmacist that I take my single 40mg dose of Nexium in the evening instead of in the morning to prevent the night reflux. I haven't done that because I don't want to leave myself vulnerable to attacks during the day when I have to work. Is the nausea in the morning FROM the reflux? I have it every single day. When I get up, I start feeling nauseous rightaway. If I go back to bed (which is almost never - but I did the other day) - the nausea stops. I get up, the nausea comes back.

Anyway, how is taking the PPI at night only working for you? Do you get a 24 hour coverage?

FG

Old 04-21-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
(male)

locust73 HB User

I have been on Nexium for 3 months now, and take 80MG per day. It has not completely cured my symptoms as purported by many people. I really though it would be the "wonder drug" that would cure me and allow me to go about eating whatever I wanted again. Initially it was that hope that gave me the reason to go ahead and spend the $300 a month for the medication. Fortunately, I had health insurance a few months back, so I only had to pay $200 for my deductible, and then $50 per month for the drugs. However, now that my health insurance has expired, I have to pay $300 a month for it.

Since it's not working for me any more than Prilosec is, I think I'll just go ahead and buy Prilosec. I'm going to see the Doctor this Thursday to get his diagnosis.

I should note, however, that my problem is more with LPR (which is when the upper sphincter also malfunctions and you get acid in your throat).. Nexium and Prilosec take care of my heartburn, but they don't take care of the acid in my throat.

Isn't all this so much fun going through? Anyhow, good luck to you. I don't mean to be so discouraging. I really hope Nexium works for you like it does for some people. I know this one guy who told me he could eat anything he wanted after being on Nexium. So, there is hope for some of us.

For me, it's back to the drawing board.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:07 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

locust,

thanks for your input. Nexium seems to work for some and not for others. It doesn't sem to do much for me, for sure. My doctor said I'd be much worse WITHOUT it - which is the only reason I take it. I cannot begin to imagine how MUCH worse I could get - I think it is BAD ENOUGH!!! My insurance does not cover Nexium, so I pay the full cost.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:33 PM   #10
(male)

DKTemp HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
Dk,

since you take your Nexium in the evening, how are you the FOLLOWING day? Do you find it controlls your acid reflux a whole twenty-four hour period?
It has been suggested by the pharmacist that I take my single 40mg dose of Nexium in the evening instead of in the morning to prevent the night reflux. I haven't done that because I don't want to leave myself vulnerable to attacks during the day when I have to work. Is the nausea in the morning FROM the reflux? I have it every single day. When I get up, I start feeling nauseous rightaway. If I go back to bed (which is almost never - but I did the other day) - the nausea stops. I get up, the nausea comes back.

Anyway, how is taking the PPI at night only working for you? Do you get a 24 hour coverage?

FG
Well, about 2 months ago, the docs increased my dose to 2x/day. So I guess that speaks for itself. But I will say my biggest problems were heartburn at night followed by nausea in the morning. If I took the dose in the morning, I still had the nausea in the morning. But if I took it at night, I didn't have the nausea as bad.

And to be honest, I haven't noticed much difference since I've gone from 1x/day to 2x/day. I'm definitely better off taking it than not taking it, though, I'm certain on that much.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:24 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Good to know... thank you for your response.

My reflux was bad last night after going to bed - I started to choke, got congested, runny eyes, cough, the whole nine yards. I had been having breathing problems all day - pain with breathing, (especially when trying to take a deep breath) so maybe that's why it acted up like that. I just hate it. I don't think I'll never get used to it. How would a person know if some of the reflux stuff was aspirated? The problem is the choking happens a lot anyway so would not be a good indicator. Perhaps today will be trouble - free. I love days like that!!!

I doubt that a double dose of Nexium would prevent this from happening. If a doctor ever suggests I try it....I will!!!

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 04-23-2008 at 06:26 AM.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:09 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Flower,

I am so sorry that you are suffering like that I aspirated acid of couple of times. Within a day I would get this weird feeling in my lungs when I tried to breath deeply and the I would start to cough if I forced myself to breath deeply. Sort of like a congested kind of deep barky cough.

Today my acid is so bad (day 6 now) that I have lost my voice and everyone keeps asking me if I am sick In a way I guess we are We are sick with the acid and SICK of being sick! This all started when I stopped the magnesium - wonder if there is a connection? Though I had only beent aking it for a couple of weeks.

I am on the Prevacid and it is not helping. I will give it a few more days and then off to the Dr. -- though what suggestions could possibly help at this point. We watch what we eat, take our medications, behave - and still suffer? It is awful.

I hope you have a trouble free day!

Vanessa

Old 04-23-2008, 08:09 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Nessa,

I am happy to say I had no chest tightness or pain with breathing today. I still feel congested, which is normal. I seem to lose my voice more often now. I've had the cough you mention several times. It's the weirdest sounding cough. Kind of barky (as you describe it) and liquidy, very distinct, comiing from deep within the lungs. So what does that mean in terms of refluxing? Probably nothing. At least it does not happen very often.

I am very sorry about your suffering. Just when you begin to think things cannot get much worse, you are proven wrong. I wonder if there is anything at all that might make a difference in how you feel. I am starting to think that our problems are of a mechanical sort...like when something breaks - one can't just patch it up and move on. Unlike in the machines, our various body parts cannot be easily replaced and we are stuck with what we have.
I wonder if I really would get sicker, as my doctor claims, without the Nexium. Maybe it is not doing anything and I don't even know. I'd hate to be taking a medication if I don't benefit from it. I hope you'll have a good day tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you.

take care,
flowergirl

Old 04-24-2008, 09:31 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Hi Flower

I am SO GLAD that you had a good breathing day yesterday That is AWESOME!! And you needed/deserved it.

I read another post you had here - about how much others are suffering and to be grateful that we are not worse - you are SO RIGHT. Although I am afraid with this new refluxing problem - I have to remember how much others are suffering.

I am only going to give the Prevacid a few more days because the side effects (headaches, chest/back tightening/cramping, and the fact that it is not helping very much!) - I am going to add acidopholus and maybe try Digestinol to see if that helps.

I would much prefer a natural way if I can find one - instead of being stuck on the PPI's - but whatever helps is what I will do!

Thanks for all the kindness and encouragement - it really helps!!!!

You said that you tried the Apple Cider Vinegar - did you notice that it helped at all?

Thanks,

Vanessa

Old 04-24-2008, 08:57 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

I took the ACV for reducing inflammation and to help with my cholesterol levels. That, combined with my meds, exercise and other measures seemed to have helped. I did amazingly well for a while. As more medications were added or changed, my labs started to be affected. I have no idea what my cholesterol levels are right now. I don't really want to know. They'd gone from very good to less than ideal within just a few months (while on cholesterol medication). Same could be said about other things. I've decided not to worry about it, because I can't stop taking the medications.

I hope the Prevacid proves helpful in some way. I guess we can't expect miracles and hope for an overnight cure. (we can always dream...) I read a short article about nighttime reflux. There was a mention about aspiration of the acid into the lungs, which results in choking and coughing. Supposedly, the lungs can receive the same type of damage from the acid as the esophagus. (cancer). Not a nice thought. When we sleep, we do not attempt to clear the acid from the throat/esophagus/lungs and the exposure to acid lasts much longer than in the daytime.

have a good day tomorrow!
flowergirl

Closed Thread