It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2008, 06:12 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User
Prilosec Question - Help PLEASE

Hello All!

Up until a couple of months ago I had 'silent reflux' - I didn't even know I had it. I would get indigestion once in a great while, pop a Pepcid and be fine. Long story short had breathing problems and my Dr. suspected hiatal hernia and silent GERD. Gave me Prilosec - helped a little but too many side effects. So I stuck with the Pepcid and radically modified my diet and adopted all the 'good' habits (no eating after 6:30pm, etc. And everything was going really well.

Well I started refluxing like crazy 4 days ago. The acid is CONSTANT buring horrible and coming up into my throat and mouth. I started with 1 Prilosec - NOTHING then DOUBLED it and I FEEL WORSE??? Can someone please help me? THis is HORRIBLE - I can actually feel it splashing up and over and the pain is excruciating (I am also popping ES Rolaids AND taking Pepcid)?? Why would doubling the Prilosec OTC make it seem worse????

I have Prevacid to start tomorrow - any suggestions?

Thank you.

Vanessa

The Following User Says Thank You to Vanessa74 For This Useful Post:
Fladel (02-28-2011)
Old 04-21-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
(female)

Stefarina HB User
Re: Prilosec Question - Help PLEASE

Were you taking the Prilosec or Pepcid only once in a while, like when you had a flare up?

I take my medication continually, every day. If I miss a day by accident, I can tell that I have forgotten because all of those yucky symptoms reappear.

I am now on Nexium, but have previously tried Prilosec, Pepcid, Aciphex. I am also now taking a higher dose of medication.

Good Luck to you! Keep us updated on how you are doing!
Stefarina

Last edited by Stefarina; 04-21-2008 at 06:24 PM. Reason: reread poster's info.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2008, 02:17 PM   #3
(female)

MyJoyAsa HB User

Is it possible that the hernia became worse?

I was just reading a page on how the med work. Basically it said that the longer
your acid production is supressed, the more the body can fight back and create
acid. From what I've read here pain meds can work the same way. The more the
med supress the pain, the more pain the body produces to try and override the
supression.

It really sounds like you need to get re-checked if it's gotten that bad that fast.
I don't know how a hernia forms but it almost sounds like something happened there
making in much worse.

All guessing of course. Good luck. This stuff is a mess to deal with.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:55 PM   #4
(female)

mskubic HB User

I think at least from my own experience that the meds can make the symptoms worse. I never had an acid problem until I started taking px prilosec. The reason I started taking it was for swallowing issues. Well the swallowing issues cleared up and now I am dealing with the acid problem. I have an appt on the 19th to see my doc...I have read as well that these meds can make the acid seem worse...anyone else out there with similar stories cause I am stressing out about this

Old 04-27-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
(female)

CHALUPA HB User

The only hing I have to say is I woke up one day and felt like I couldn't breath. I have been on every ppi there is and nothing helps now i am taking pepcid complete all day long. I nevr had heart buen in my life. I beliave like others I think that now my acid has gotten worse. And two years later my breathing is no better and being on the ppi.s and other things my symtoms have gottten worse like tight throat and dizzy floatng feeling all day long.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:15 PM   #6
(male)

greg1x HB User
Cool Re: Prilosec Question - Help PLEASE

For me personally, the Prevacid was far more effective than either Prilosec or Nexium. When the reflux gets out of control, I treat it very agressively. Prevacid in am, and before dinner, Zantac before bedtime, and antacids as needed. Also make sure you are not constipated, this just makes the reflux worse.
Greg

Old 04-27-2008, 07:26 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

PPI, prescribed to help with severe nausea, caused all of my acid reflux symptoms to appear. Then came the LPR symptoms. Now I've been told I can't stop taking it, because things would only get worse. What gives? I'd say (to put it mildly) that this medication has not helped get rid of the symptoms at all - quite the opposite! On the bright side, the nausea got a little bit better.

Vanessa, I hope you're feeling better today. How long can the refluxing keep up? It's got to stop sometime.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 04-27-2008 at 07:27 PM.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:33 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

I completely agree with everyone - I was NEVER consistenly on any type of acid medication and never on a PPI until I was diagnoased with silent relfux and a suspected hiatal hernia. Since then trying various medications, etc. I now FEEL the reflux.

It has been 10 days now - and no change -- consistent burning HORRID reflux up my chest into my mouth no matter WHAT I eat or drink (and I have been watching EVERYTHING I even put NEAR my mouth).

I tried double Prilosec for 3 days and since have been on daily Prevacid -and at times feel WORSE. So either the PPI's are making me feel worse -- OR something happened in my body and I need to get to the Dr. It could be that the hernia worsened, etc. Just not sure???

I am confused and scared and HATE going through a bunch of tests - I will be so angry if they just try to give me a DIFFERENT PPI.....

Thanks everyone for your input - it is very appreciated!!

Vanessa

Old 04-28-2008, 07:07 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Given much time to think about it over the weekend some of my thoughts are:

The PPI's and various OTC medications that I was instructed to take for my 'silent reflux' worsened my condition to the point where I am now constantly refluxing all the time - and FEELING IT 24-7...

I keep getting pain in the area where I had my gallbladder removed - right where the scar is -- perhaps gallstones are blocking things and this is causing the reflux?

Perhaps my hiatal hernia has grown and is now holding my LES valve open all the time - this it what it feels like - like it never closes anymore.

I read a book (Why Stomach Acid is Good For Us) - over the weekend and it discussed having too LITTLE stomach acid and that being the problem. It was incredibly insightful and interesting - but I would wanted to be tested BEFORE adding acid to this mix.

All I know is something is really wrong and the PPI's are doing NOTHING but giving me MAJOR side effects and NO symptom relief from the constant burning ad chest pain.

Nessa

Old 04-28-2008, 07:35 AM   #10
(female)

Texas Tomato HB User

Hi, Vanessa --

I just ordered that book from Amazon and am hoping it comes soon! I think we've talked on some other threads about the low stomach acid conundrum -- hypochlorhydria. Doctors seem to poo-poo it, but I think it has real validity. I am feeling much better since going off my PPI and all antacids, and drinking two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and eating things to actually promote acid production.

My bloating and belching, while still present, has lessened significantly. I did have some burning the first couple days, but it's pretty much gone now. And I never did actually suffer from heartburn before going on the PPIs, just shortness of breath that the doctor assumed was LPR because they ruled out asthma pretty much.

I have read that it takes a long time after going off of PPIs to get everything back into balance again, so I'm hoping that I will just keep getting better and better. I hope you can find a resolution for your problems. These dang stomach ailments just ruin EVERYTHING, don't they?!

Old 04-28-2008, 08:57 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Hi Texas

You are the reason I got the book! You mentioned it here. It is very interesting. It discusses long-term anti-acid and PPI usuage and how it effects every aspect of our digestion, vitamin and mineral absorption, etc. After I got done reading it I wanted to THROW ALL my anti-acid medication away.

PS: He did say it can take 6 weeks to three months to get your system back to normal after being on long term PPI Therapy.

I need to have some tests done and make sure nothing major is wrong with me before starting the acid therapy (it is recommended in the book).

I am so glad that you continue to feel better.

I bought Aloe Vera Juice and a good quality ProBiotic (expensive stuff)!! I am going to start on those today.

If that does not help - I will try the ACV before I go on ANOTHER PPI!!

Thanks for all your great information!

Last edited by Vanessa74; 04-28-2008 at 08:59 AM.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:48 AM   #12
(female)

redsmom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa74 View Post
Hi Texas

You are the reason I got the book! You mentioned it here. It is very interesting. It discusses long-term anti-acid and PPI usuage and how it effects every aspect of our digestion, vitamin and mineral absorption, etc. After I got done reading it I wanted to THROW ALL my anti-acid medication away.

PS: He did say it can take 6 weeks to three months to get your system back to normal after being on long term PPI Therapy.

I need to have some tests done and make sure nothing major is wrong with me before starting the acid therapy (it is recommended in the book).

I am so glad that you continue to feel better.

I bought Aloe Vera Juice and a good quality ProBiotic (expensive stuff)!! I am going to start on those today.

If that does not help - I will try the ACV before I go on ANOTHER PPI!!

Thanks for all your great information!

Okay ladies someone has to tell me the name of this book! I've had my hiadal hernia since the eighties and I can tell you that stress is what brought mine on and I've lived with stress for the better part of my life up until about three years ago! Never tried the Nexium but tried everything else that didn't work until I came across Prilosec which works like a charm! I have to take something for my stomach because of the pain meds I'm taking because of the Post Op problems (sciatic problems). So would this book still help me?

Old 04-28-2008, 01:07 PM   #13
(female)

Texas Tomato HB User

Hi, redsmom -- It sounds like as long as the Prilosec works for you, you probably don't have low stomach acid and should continue your current regimen.

The book we're talking about is Why Stomach Acid is Good for You by Dr. Jonathan Wright. Some of us have had recurring symptoms that are not relieved by PPIs (like Prilosec or Zegerid or Nexium), or in some cases made even worse, so we're considering the theory that we might be suffering from not enough stomach acid, or hypochlorhydria. Apparently it mimics the same symptoms as too much stomach acid.

However, as Vanessa said, it's wise to consult a doctor and get testing before self-medicating, especially if you decide to take something as drastic as acid supplements. I've only reached this point after a year of getting no relief from my symptoms and nothing else working. I've already been scoped and found "normal," so I don't feel I'm risking esophageal erosions by changing my regimen.

I'm not a medical professional, just a stranger on the internet sharing my own experience, so proceed with caution before trying anything different for yourself.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:11 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

You really should not take rolaids or tums while taking OTC Pepcid or Prilosec....I would go get an upper gi done if I were you...just to rule out anything else.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:32 AM   #15
(female)

mskubic HB User

Texas Tomato

Can you tell me your symptoms. Basically the same thing happened to me scoped. Iwas having problems and they could find nothing when they scoped me.

Closed Thread