It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2008, 11:05 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User
acid reflux and constant belching

I have always had acid reflux, been on all the PPI's, now taking Nexium but about 6 months ago I started with more gas and constant belching. I have always had gas but actually could never belch easily. It was very rare for me to burp, now it is constant, little ones seemingly just fomr the esophagous and others that come from the toes. The back pressure is terrible. Everything seems to be on the left side. I have had endo's, ct's,everything and have esophogitis, gastritis and duodenitis but there doesnt seem to be anyway to get rid of this. I also have a lot of mucous at times especially after the gas starts to move downward. I have taken everything and nothing is helping and I never know when this pressure part is going to start and it is so uncomfortable it makes me cough. Appreciate any ideas.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:15 AM   #2
(female)

Texas Tomato HB User
Re: acid reflux and constant belching

Hi, canyondweller -- please see my post below called "How long does it take to get PPIs out of your system?" It tells my whole saga with the belching and bloating. It's really distracting, isn't it?

My latest theory is that all the years of PPIs have actually induced LOW stomach acid, so right now I'm actually doing things to promote stomach acid production. Yesterday I felt some heartburn, but I resisted taking any antacids for it, and this morning I woke up feeling pretty good, with minimal belching. I think it will take me a while to normalize things though.

If you do a search on hypochlorhydria or "low stomach acid," you might find some things that fit your case. If this new regimen works for me, I will be on a crusade about doctors and pharmaceutical cos. pushing their wares on people who, in fact, need just the opposite of what they're selling.

Hope you find a good resolution of your issues.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks, I will check it out. There was a Dr. at University of Michigan that was doing a study on low stomach acid because of the PPI's. Thanks again. This is really not helping my esophagitis with all this burping. I seldom feel heartburn itself. Thanks.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-23-2008 at 09:31 AM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 04-22-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Hello!

Texas - how do you know if your problem is too MUCH acid or too LITTLE - is there a way to tell?

I have the reflux constantly (for the past 5 days now) acid coming up into my throat and spilling over into my mouth with horrible chest tightness and burning. Have tried ALL OTC's with NO relief, tried Prilosec double dose not relief and am trying Prevacid - very LITTLE relief.

I would like to try the Apple Cider Vinegar but quite frankly I am TERRIFIED. I could not stand it if it got worse.

Any way to tell without having to bite the bullet?

Thanks

Vanessa

Old 04-22-2008, 02:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I don't think you really can. In your case where it is not something that you have had for years I don't think i would try the vinegar thing. Most of us have been on the PPI's for years or been eating Tums,etc for years and may have totally messed up our acid. In your case it doesn't sound permanent so perhaps you need to give the PPI's a bit longer. Also, stay away from alcohol, chocolate and anything mint as that relaxes the one way valve into the stomach and causes the acid to back up. There isn't anyway to get around this. Some of have the acid backing up and some don't. It is the burping and gas that is our problem. Of course, acid can causes both gas which causes burping. Also stay away from carbonation for any stomach problems. Diet wise stick to fish and chicken, potatoes, noodles, and sort of bland stuff for a while and stay away from citrus for a while and give it a little more time. Try the Acidophalous pills and that may help some but hang in there. 5 days is not enough time to rebalance you stomach and you might do more harm at this stage to take the ACV.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Thank you Canyondweller,

What you are saying makes a tremendous amount of sense. I have read a lot on these boards and do not want to have to take PPI's for long periods of time if I can help it.

It is my second day on the stronger Prevacid and still no help. I had given up all the foods you suggested months ago (no alcohol, soda's, mint, chocolate, citrus, tomato's, etc.) -- I had still been able to have (1) cup of coffee in the morning - but I have given that up since this horrid refluxing started. 6 straight days now with no relief - and if anything it seems AFTER I take the PPI it gets a little worse?

May I please pick your brain for a moment (as this is really scaring me and driving me crazy with the burning pain). I started about a month ago eating a Pro-Biotic yogurt every morning first thing. It seems lately that as soon as I eat the yogurt (I take my PPI when I wake up and wait (1) hour to eat the yogurt) it starts up the reflux BAD. Can Probiotics ever have the opposite effect and cause reflux?

Also, I drink a LOT of water (12-14 glasses per day) - can this cause/contribute to reflux? Or may this be washing out the PPI?

These are the only things that I can think of - I eat a very bland diet, never eat before bed, etc.

I do have a hiatal hernia that my dr. found (pushing around on my stomach) - and it had been 'acting up' for about a week before the refluxing started. By acting up I mean I get this belt like tightness across my back and around my chest. At the time I had been supplementing with Magnesium to try and help my B/P and thought that may have been causing it so I quit the Magnesium -- the tightness went away but the horrid refluxing started and I cannot get it to stop.

Thanks so much for listening. I really appreciate it. I truly hope you and Texas find a solution to your problem and suffering as well.

Vanessa

Old 04-23-2008, 08:15 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

sandypar1968 HB User

You might wanna check out (if you haven't already) something by the name of gamma-oryzanol - it is made from rice bran and is very healing for the gut. I have been taking it for abou one year and my digestive issues are much much better.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-23-2008 at 09:31 AM. Reason: the huge quote!

Old 04-23-2008, 04:31 PM   #8
(male)

DKTemp HB User

I'm with you...I've even had a few times when, during meetings, coworkers will give me funny looks. I think they think I'm growling or something, but I can't help it, just try to keep my mouth closed and be as discreet as possible.

I tried the Activia yogurt once, and it caused me to have sharp pains in my gut. So I gave that up.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:58 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Thanks DK Temp,

Someone told me to try and take acodophilus pills - but I am afraid that that will aggravate the GERD. Maybe it will help. I am just at such a loss and the pain is constant and horrible and SCARY.

I am afraid that it will damage my esophopgus and I won't be able to swallow

Vanessa

Old 04-23-2008, 06:10 PM   #10
(male)

DKTemp HB User

I have started taking acodophilus pills about a month ago. No problems with them yet myself. I'm not sure they're helping either, though.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:12 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

Try Digestinol for acid reflux. Look it up on the Internet. It is strong aloe vera and does wonders. I used to be on two Prevacid a day and saw NO relief. Now I am SOOOO much better.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:56 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, probiotics can cause gas in the beginning. I would guess it depends on the person. In my case I can't eat yogurt because it is a milk product and it gives me gas. AS for the water, the only thing I can think of is that particularly if you are drinking from a bottle you are taking in a lot of air everytime you swallow, even if you are drinking from a glass that is a lot of swallows and you are probably swallowing air. Of course there is the gas problem and then there is the acid problem, sometimes one and the same and sometimes not. I saw today that Prevacid has a pill that disolves in the mouth and I am going to ask my Dr. about that on Friday. I don't know about the magnesium. I don't have a lot of heartburn but mostly the burping the last 6 months but based on what my esophagous looks like I have what is called "silent GERD" I have the reflux but it doesn't always cause noticable heartburn. My biggest problem is the pressure and burping. I have been taking either Maalox Max or Pepto the last couple days on a regular basis and it seems to be helping some. Also, you might be on the wrong PPI. Sometimes one works when another doesn't. Protonix didn't work for me but it did for my friends. I don't see much difference between Pepcid and Nexium.. I am almost thinking of going back to Tagamet. I wish I had some answers. If the Prevacid is not working ask for something else. These Doctors have habit of just telling us to take more of the same. You might try some Pepcid Complete. It really does work very well for some people. It even works a little for me.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:38 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Thank you very much for all the information and suggestions!

I think I will give the Prevacid a few more days (today is day #3 on the Prevacid) and though I do not see much improvement - I read last night that when it is really bad (acid reflux) in can take up to a week to work - so I will see. It is giving me some NASTY side effects (bad head aches, heart racing, and weird chest cramping/tightness) - so I will ONLY give it a 4 more days and see what happens.

I will look into the Digestinol (the aloe vera juice) - I think I would like to try that before attempting the Apple Cider Vinegar - as I am not sure if my problem is too much or too little acid.

I will add the acidopholus as well - a good quality one. Also someone suggested drinking Ginger Tea - so I will try to find that as well. I want to prevent any further damage to my esohpogus and try to get this under control - hopefully I can find a way WITHOUT PPI's - and only use them AS NEEDED not all the time. That is my hope anyway - we shall wait and see!

The majority of my pain is at the back of my throat (right where it disappears at the back of your mouth) and the very upper part of my chest - pain and burning and discomfort - constant.

I will be happy to cut out the yogurt as I am SICK of eating it everyday - YUCK-OOO.....

Again, thanks for the great information - much appreciated.

DanaBarb,

Is Digestinol all you take? How long did it take to see a difference?

Thank you.

Vanessa

Closed Thread