It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2008, 01:01 PM   #1
(female)

londoner70 HB User
Question Funny feeling in the throat please advise is this normal

Just to give a little background my problems started last August(can't believe still suffering almost year had gone by) with little burning around the belly button, which then became sharp stabbing pains, by first GI was diagnosed with mild gastritis(upper GI endoscopy, and sigmoidoscopy) and H pylori positive, which was successfully eradicated, went on prevacid, which didn't do much for me was ok for 3 weeks then pains started, second upper GI endoscopy was done, this time had gastritis plus mild duudenitis, but the biopsy did not confirm gastritis. Was then on carafate and nexium 40mg, pains were still there plus really bad burping, this GI wasn't doing much, so changed GI, this one did gasteroscopy and endoscopy, didn't find anything, then went for capsule endoscopy to see if I have crohn's(awiting the results). meanwhile I started getting this funny throat peoblems 5 weeks ago, where my throat felt very dry, felt sore , voice changed, went to GP, said it's viral, but I had no cold or flu symptoms, I gave it 3 weeks, then made an appoitment with an ENT, he looked inside, and said voice box looks a bit red, most probably due to acid reflux, told him that I never feel the acid in my throat, but I do burp a lot, he perscribed antibiotics for one week, just incase it's an infection, and said if it didn't get better with antibiotics I should then for 2 weeks increase my nexium to twice daily 40mg one at night, and one in the morning.
I do get a lot of phlegm, but this feeling in the throat is very strange, it is not there evryday, some days is worst than others, I feel like I need to drink to keep it moist, and feels like I need to cough to clear my throat.
I am getting really scared, has anyone else experienced this? could this be due to my digestive problems(gastritis ?)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
(male)

lastdance65 HB User
Re: Funny feeling in the throat please advise is this normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by londoner70 View Post
Just to give a little background my problems started last August(can't believe still suffering almost year had gone by) with little burning around the belly button, which then became sharp stabbing pains, by first GI was diagnosed with mild gastritis(upper GI endoscopy, and sigmoidoscopy) and H pylori positive, which was successfully eradicated, went on prevacid, which didn't do much for me was ok for 3 weeks then pains started, second upper GI endoscopy was done, this time had gastritis plus mild duudenitis, but the biopsy did not confirm gastritis. Was then on carafate and nexium 40mg, pains were still there plus really bad burping, this GI wasn't doing much, so changed GI, this one did gasteroscopy and endoscopy, didn't find anything, then went for capsule endoscopy to see if I have crohn's(awiting the results). meanwhile I started getting this funny throat peoblems 5 weeks ago, where my throat felt very dry, felt sore , voice changed, went to GP, said it's viral, but I had no cold or flu symptoms, I gave it 3 weeks, then made an appoitment with an ENT, he looked inside, and said voice box looks a bit red, most probably due to acid reflux, told him that I never feel the acid in my throat, but I do burp a lot, he perscribed antibiotics for one week, just incase it's an infection, and said if it didn't get better with antibiotics I should then for 2 weeks increase my nexium to twice daily 40mg one at night, and one in the morning.
I do get a lot of phlegm, but this feeling in the throat is very strange, it is not there evryday, some days is worst than others, I feel like I need to drink to keep it moist, and feels like I need to cough to clear my throat.
I am getting really scared, has anyone else experienced this? could this be due to my digestive problems(gastritis ?)

Old 05-25-2008, 10:46 AM   #3
(female)

londoner70 HB User

Ok since nobody replied to my original question, I am now really worried, wondering that I am the only one with throat issues.
Could you please just advise whether it is common to have throat problems if you have stomach acid issues, do you feel like clearing your throat like there is something there, and you need to cough to clear it?

Last edited by londoner70; 05-25-2008 at 10:47 AM.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Yes, of course it is common for us to have throat (and other) problems. Many people with GERD have throat issues as a result of the acid coming all the way up into the throat and irritating it.

My throat gets so bad it makes my eyes water without any warning. When this happens, people usually become very concerned, assuming I am either in pain, or something else is horribly wrong. I have to keep apologizing, saying it's only acid reflux.

The burning/itchy throat also sets off choking or coughing attacks without any advance notice. One cannot prepare for these episodes by turning away from people or leaving the room because they are not anticipated and simply happen. Clearing one's throat repeatedly (pretty much all day) does nothing. On top of that, I also lose my voice for periods of time without warning, -in the middle of a conversation- sometimes several times a day. The voice does not come back rightaway, even after extensive throat clearing. Needless to say, I find this extremely annoying and most inconvenient. I wish I had some advice - I don't. Perhaps some of the other members have found a way to improve their symptoms by doing certain things and by avoiding others, and will be willing to share them.

If you read some of the recent posts on this board, you will notice that throat problems are more common than one would think in people with GERD and/or LPR and are often discussed here.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 05-25-2008 at 08:23 PM.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:22 AM   #5
(female)

cl84 HB User

Throat problems are very common with acid reflux. I do not have Gerd but I do have a form of acid reflux called LPR. I have an almost constant need to clear my throat and lots of mucous, especially in the morning. I find that chewing gum sometimes relieves the symptoms a little bit. Many people do not get relief with PPIs. I have tried Nexium, Zantac and Protonix with minimal results. I try my best to stay away from foods that increase acid but I still have symptoms most of the time. I have been dealing with this for 13 months and I'm hanging in there and hoping I'll find something that helps soon!

Take care.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:29 AM   #6
(female)

Kassie29 HB User

I have a sore throat every day. It's been going on for probably 4 months now. My symptoms started with heartburn and burping about 9 months ago and the Nexium dealt pretty well with those. However, then the sore throat started, and hoarseness. I was referred to an ENT who did a scope down the nose into the throat and he said my symptoms are from the acid reflux. He advised splitting my Nexium dose into two -- one 20 mg in morning, one at night. I can't say it's helped the sore throat much though.
Kassie

Old 05-26-2008, 08:10 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

is Nexium easy to split with a pill splitter? I've never tried it. Some pills are impossible to split without ending up with a mess. I wonder if cutting the dose of Nexium in a half reduces its effectiveness. My pharmacist suggested taking my single daily dose of 40mg at night (instead of in the morning) to help with the symptoms of nightime acid reflux. I am not willing to try it because I don't want more problems at work.
Has your doctor explained how acid reflux causes hoarseness? I know it goes with the throat symptoms. I wonder if acid reflux affects the voice box.

FG

Old 05-28-2008, 02:34 PM   #8
(female)

londoner70 HB User

Thanks for all your replies. I have never been diagnosed with Acid reflux, my problems all started with burning stomach, after 9 months of trying PPIs, now I have the sore throat, just recieved the ENT report, and he has diagnosed me with LPR. I have never felt acid coming up, or had indigestion, but extremely bad burping, which I can feel myself affects my voice. The ENT told me the voice box is very sensitive, he suggested that I should double nexium take one 40mg in the morning and one at night for 2 weeks, Saturday will be 2 weeks and I still have sore throat which sometimes is better, sometimes it's worst.
I just don't understand why my body is producing so much acid, and that is what really scares me. When they scoped me I had gastritis and erosive duodenitis, but the histology did not confirm gastritis, so what is really wrong?
That's why I changed GI and the second guy said I need my colon checked, he did an endoscopy, and everything was fine, but then he suggested capsule endoscopy, and I am going to see him for the results of that tomorrow, and I am really concerned. All I know is that my qulaity of life suddenly changed, and what I wouldn't do just to feel normal again, and I consider 38 not to be too old.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:07 AM   #9
(male)

mrlpr HB User

Please don't freak. 38 is not too young for this to happen, unfortunately. My problems started when I was about 36.

Take the double dose of ppi, sleep on a wedge pillow, and eliminate coffee, spicy food, smoking, and try to keep alcohol to a minimum. And be patient -- it often takes six months or more of drug therapy to see an improvement.

Also, make sure to take the ppis within 15-30 minutes of eating breakfast/dinner. It makes a huge difference in the effectiveness of the regimen.

Good luck. You aren't dying, it is highly uncomfortable, but there should be relief coming your way if you stick to it and don't get stressed about it (I'm convinced the stress can trigger and make lpr a lot worse).

Old 05-29-2008, 08:37 AM   #10
(female)

Kassie29 HB User

Hi Flowergirl,
I shouldn't have said "splitting" my Nexium dose. I used to take one 40 mg pill, just like you (on the advice of my GP). After I saw the ENT, he said taking the Nexium at two different times -- morning and evening -- might help with the throat symptoms so he gave me a new prescription for Nexium 20 mg pills. So no actual "splitting" is necessary To be honest, I haven't found that it's made a huge difference, maybe a little. I don't have the heartburn and burping anymore, which are what made me go to my GP in the first place. These symptoms have been replaced with these annoying throat symptoms. Sigh.
Kassie

Old 05-29-2008, 01:39 PM   #11
(male)

Verobeach1 HB User

Had a panic attack while driving Nov 07 ; Had salivia in my throat or mouth and could not swallow. had trouble swallowing food also
Very uncomfortable. had lump in throat, constant throat clearing, could feel my throat. Was diagnosed with acid relux that inflammed my vocal cords from ENT. Put on Nexum 40 MG 1X a day.Symtoms improved but have not totally left me.

Went to a GI DR in May 08 - he has scheduled an upper Endoscopy and a Colonoscopy to be done July 7th. Symptoms have improved since November can swallow food without trouble, but still have trouble with salivia, and I get a gassy feeling in my chest, and I can't burp. Still have trouble feeling comfortable on highways- I take mainly back roads when driving. Hope that helps

Old 05-29-2008, 07:31 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I am glad I am not the only one with this issue too. I had never thought it could be acid reflex but I do have problems with that on and off. I went to my allergist today because my throat feels tight and swollen. I am scared it just close up and I can't breathe. Tonight I feel like my chest is all tight. I wonder if I do have a touch of asthma. The doctor said my throat thing was the end of a virus I had with the flu a week ago. He said I was the third person in the office today that had the stomach flu that went from that to the swollen throat thing. I don't know ....sounds weird.

Anyhow.. if your throat thing has been longer than 2 to 3 weeks maybe it is something different than a virus that he seems to think I have. I am ready to go buy an over the counter inhaler just to be sure tonight. The humidity is 74% here tonight outside. Does that agitate things??

Closed Thread