It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Reflux under control....or not??

I was diagnosed with reflux about 6 years ago. I had formal reflux testing done a bit over two years ago. My Endoscopy was fine. The Manometry confirmed I have a loose esophageal sphincter. The 24hr Ph confirmed that I had reflux. At the time, my only reflux symptom was a chronic cough. After the testing, they upped my PPI's to twice a day Prevacid. Between the medication and a diet change, I haven't had any reflux symptoms unless my asthma flares up.

My Pulmonologist sent me for some some further asthma testing because I had a really rough winter breathing. These tests included a Modified Barium Swallow and an Esophagram. He called today (Sunday?) to tell me that the testing showed that I have a swallowing disorder and that my reflux wasn't under control. He said that until I had the reflux under control I would NEVER have my asthma under control.

I will be going back to the GI doc, but I am a bit frustrated. I haven't had any reflux symptoms in a VERY long time. Because of that, I thought that my diet and medication were helping control the reflux. How am I to know when my reflux is acting up when I don't have ANY reflux or swallowing difficulty symptoms apparent to me? The Pulmonologist suggested I might be looking at surgery if the other things I do aren't controlling the reflux. Would it be right to consider surgery when I don't feel any reflux symptoms just to help control my asthma?

Anyone out there have any similar experiences? Any responses would be appreciated.

Last edited by MountainReader; 06-01-2008 at 06:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
(male)

DKTemp HB User
Re: Reflux under control....or not??

I haven't had any experience like that (alas, I still struggle with symptoms). But I will say, I'd get a second opinion before letting those doctors cut on you.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User
Re: Reflux under control....or not??

Mountain,

WOW - I am so sorry for what you are going through.

If your acid is not under control - how come your asthma is not acting up right now (if that is the philosophy that the Dr. is using?) - and you are so right - if you do not FEEL it how are you supposed to know?

Can they try another PPI before doing surgery?

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I am so sorry for your suffering.

Vanessa

Closed Thread