It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2008, 08:21 AM   #1
(female)

cathyc2468 HB User
Alleviating Mucus in Throat

I have had mucus/lump in throat for a year now after having Strep throat and sinus infection. Had CT scan that only showed a deviated septum and a couple of cysts in sinuses. Neither of the 2 ENTs felt that this was the cause of the mucus. Allergist diagnosed me with LPR since allergy tests were negative. Tried Nexium, Zantac, & Prilosec, but had side effects such as anxiety, depression, intestinal problems, even more severe congestion, loss of appetite (couldn't digest), lethargy, muscles/joint aches, spasms of the esophagus (not sure if Nexium caused this or if this was LPR or both)...

My next step is an appt. with a GI. I quit Nexium about a week ago and have had bad stomach aches (a burning feeling) and mucus has increased so much that I want to gag.

My research on the internet has lead me to a formula for relief and dries up the mucus and I'm starting to feel like a human being again:

I drink 8 oz. spring water with 2 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar (from Health Food store), 1 tsp. Baking Soda, and 1 tsp. raw honey 2 to 3 times a day. I understand that the baking soda is what really does the trick and you can use anywhere from 1/2 tsp. to 1 tablespoon, depending on how bad your symptoms are. I, also, found a list on the internet that shows foods that are alkaline versus acidic and I try to eat alkaline foods only. Gave up sodas, coffee, tea many months ago. I believe that improving the ph balance in my body (keeping it alkaline) is eliminating the mucus. I think the mucus may be a reaction caused by the acid reflux. Will still go to GI appt. to find out if I have a hiatal hernia and LES (lower esophagal sphincter) weakness.

I also am starting to take probiotics, do occasional sinus rinses (NeilMed) when needed, suck on slippery elm throat lozenges and chew gum when needed, take Super Papaya Enzyme Plus after eating when I feel the phlegm building back up, have elevated the head of my bed (just using several pillows didn't help). All of these are helpful, but the baking soda with ACV has made me feel like a normal human being again and has eliminated the misery of constant mucus in throat and sinuses.

Hope that passing on this info about Baking Soda and apple cider vinegar solution will help eliminate someone else's misery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2008, 09:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Re: Alleviating Mucus in Throat

Excellent advice! I suffer from acid reflux too. I went to the health food store and got some food enzyme capsules and he also recommended Mint/papaya chewable tablets which work great. I have tried the apple cidar vinegar in water recipe too. It works when you stay on it. It just smell and tastes so nasty that I find it hard to mix a glass up. But great advice!! Thanks!

Last edited by TEdds83; 06-15-2008 at 09:40 AM.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

The mucus is back! UGH! My throat feels terriable today, I am constantly clearing it. I have no other symptoms but the gunk and clearing. Nothing hurts, it's just tight and gunky. Is it acid reflux? Allergies?? Or what? I take meds for both. Do bad days just sometimes happen. DO I have to stay to the really strict diet without chocolate, pop and red sauces?? Can that irritate things even when I am on prilosec?? Help please! Thanks!
Tammy

Old 07-13-2008, 10:24 PM   #4
(female)

cathyc2468 HB User

Tammy, Wish I could help you with some advice, but I'm still trying to figure out my problem. My latest theory is that this mucus in my sinuses is caused by candida (an overgrowth of bad bacteria from taking too many antibiotics). I've started taking Nystatin (an antifungal) orally and use a syringe to drip into nostrils. I've also started a candida diet, which eliminates sugars and grains. Sugars and grains feed candida. I have felt candida die-off symptoms in the rest of my body, but the mucus in throat and sinuses still continue. I'm not sure how long it takes to kill off fungus in the sinuses due to candida, but I have an appt. with a G.I. doctor this week. Maybe he will be able to help, even though all other doctors don't know what to do with me. Hope you are finding some solutions to your health problems!

Old 07-14-2008, 08:45 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

Hi Cathy,

I live in Texas too. Is it as hot there as here? I've often wondered about the condition you wrote about as I've learned this can cause a lot of different problems. I eat a healthy diet but sweets are my downfall so I know sugar could be a problem. Is there a test that can be taken to see if your'e body has this problem? I thought I had taken every test out there but since I have no hernia or real motility problems maybe my body and digestive system are out of whack. I have lost a lot of hearing and my sense of smell. No Dr. can really tell me why. I'm sure the condition my teeth got in probably was from the acid reflux. Just trying to find a reason for all these symptoms that never go away.

CharBerry

Old 07-14-2008, 08:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

I also meant to write that I too have been on many antibiotics due to sinus, throat and ear infections I felt were caused by the LPR.

Char

Old 07-14-2008, 11:45 AM   #7
(female)

cathyc2468 HB User

Hi, CharBerry.

Yes, it's hot here, too. A/C went out the other day and had to buy new one. Can't live without it! Anyway, I've read that there are no completely accurate tests for Candida, but I did a saliva test at home.

The results of my saliva test showed up as the first example w/ the strings of saliva stretching down in the water. I think this test only works for those who have candida in their throats, etc. versus intestinal only.

I've had to take baby steps since all of the information, guidelines, supplements are a bit overwhelming at first. It's been tough giving up grains & sugar, but Stevia, fats, Vit. C (& other supplements) & the homemade electrolyte drink is getting me through this.

Take care,
Cathy

Last edited by moderator2; 07-14-2008 at 02:39 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 07-14-2008, 04:29 PM   #8
(female)

cathyc2468 HB User

Sorry, Char.

My last reply to you was edited because I mentioned websites. I'm new to all of this!

Well, there is a saliva test that can be done to test those of us who have candida in the throat area, and I have found drawings that show what positive results look like.

I found a lady named Bee who is very knowledgable about candida and has helped many out with her candida info. I am using her advice to heal myself with a strict candida diet, supplements, nasal treatments, etc.

Hope things improve on your journey to good health!

Cathy

Closed Thread