It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2008, 11:28 PM   #1
(female)

londoner70 HB User
severe stomach burning even on 80mg nexium - really scared

I am really scared now. I am on 80mg of nexium a day, and still have severe stomach burning.I am also badly bloated. The GI wants to do a 24hr pH-metry test, since I have also been diagnosed with LPR, but that is in 3 weeks time, and I have to come off nexium 5days before that.
Under my breast where the stomach starts feels like it is on fire.
Is it possible to have so much pain even on 80mg of nexium, scared as what it is that even this high dosage doesn't make it better?

Old 06-17-2008, 07:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User
Re: severe stomach burning even on 80mg nexium - really scared

Hello-

I'm sure anything-including lots of burning pain like that- is possible especially if they aren't sure of a proper diagnosis just yet. Diagnosing illness can be an impreceise thing too, so just hang in there. I know its got to suck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2008, 10:25 AM   #3
(female)

londoner70 HB User

Thanks for your reply. I believe my LPR is due to stomach problems that started a year ago. Just wondering how helpful would PH-metry test be in diagnosing stomach problems.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:48 PM   #4
(female)

Kassie29 HB User

I think the 24 hour ph probe is the only way you can be sure whether too much acid is your problem. The acid can cause the stomach burning and the acid can rise all the way to your throat, causing the irritation there. I'm having the manometry and 24 hour ph probe tomorrow. My main problems are the LPR symptoms -- sore throat, hoarseness etc. The burning in my chest has gone away, but the doctor says sometimes you don't feel it, even though it is happening. I was taking Nexium 40 mg per day, and I still had the symptoms. I went off it a week ago in preparation for the tests and I hardly notice a difference on it or off it. Maybe it's not the right med for me, or maybe too much acid isn't my problem. I guess I'll find out soon -- hopefully!
Have you had an endoscopy? That will tell the GI if your stomach is inflamed too, but it won't tell how many times per day you are refluxing.
Kassie

Old 06-18-2008, 12:58 PM   #5
(female)

londoner70 HB User

I have had 3 endoscopies, the first two showed gastritis and erosive doudenitis, but the biopsy did not confirm gastritis. the third endoscopy was when I was taking meds so no inflamationBut the burning and bloating now is getting worst, it just seems that my body keeps becoming resistant to the PPIs after a while and the burning comes back.
I am hoping that the 24 hrs ph test can prove that I have too much acid, but my ENT said it's not always acid that you reflux, it might be gas and other liquids which also can cause LPR, so he suggested I had the impedance manometry test done, which doesn't just measure acid, but other particles too, unfotunately here in the UK, this test is very new, and I believe there is only one place in the country which does it.
I have been suffering for almost a year now, and still no closer to answers, as why I am suffering?
Good luck with your ph-metry test, hope it will answer some questions for you.

Closed Thread