It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2008, 12:33 PM   #1
(male)

gent1 HB User
Belching along with reflux?

Is it common to be belching frequently, and feeling as if you have to belch all the time. I am taking 1 capsule everying morning (20mg) of prilosec per my Dr. It seems here just the past couple days my reflux has flared up and I am belching more frequently.

This past weekend I had a few beers and that seems to have maybe triggered this flare up. Are most people with reflux problems staying away from alcohol/soda?

Old 06-26-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User
Re: Belching along with reflux?

I too belch quite frequently - more than I can every remember in the past before all this GERD stuff started - and it does seem worse when the Ol Heartburn really kicks up.

I cannot tolerate alcohol or soda AT ALL - cannot even TOUCH chocolate or coffee - is miserable to have to give up so much and still feel awful.....

Vanessa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2008, 01:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

HI Gent1! Welcome to the club! I am on prilosec too for about 3 to 4 weeks now. I belch after everymeal and drink and I was never like that. I have to stay away from pop, alcohol, chocolate and red sauces. Its all awful! I am mad about that. I even took two 20 mg of prilosec yesterday and I really don't know what's gonna help. I know I have only had this a month... I can't imagine how the others feel who have been dealing with this for WAY longer!
Hang in there!

Old 06-26-2008, 08:07 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Belching is a definite symptom of reflux. Especially if you do any bending after you have eaten. The first time I was diagnosed with reflux about 6-7 years ago, it was after I went in to see a doctor because of excessive belching. I had no idea at the time that it was a reflux symptom. I didn't have any heartburn at all. I had never had a belching problem before, then one weekend I helped someone lay a brick path. Every time I bent to lay a brick I belched. How miserable and embarrassing. I think they thought I was doint it on purpose. Protonix helped me for a couple years, then I developed a chronic cough. Had to go on a double dose PPI then.

With regards to the alcohol, it is an absolute reflux trigger and should be avoided. For me, beer and wine are the worst. Sometimes, I belch the alcohol for a couple days if I have a drink. I've gotten to the place that I have less than one drink a year anymore. They I give in and have one and regret it afterwards.

Closed Thread