It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2008, 08:49 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User
LPR & Ear Problems

Hey Gang,

Most of you know how I suffer with LPR but have found relief for losing my voice, thankfully. Now, I'm having big time trouble with my ears. Always had some fullness but never this bad. Can't hear a thing out of left ear and I started wearing hearing aids several years ago for damage I feel was due because of the LPR. We did have a new pool built and I was swimming a lot so went to doc and thought swimmers ear. Meds have not helped and I have appt with ENT spec today. I'm really getting scared. I've also had the LPR symptoms of constant mucus in throat, cough and cough, on and on. I do nasal irrigations a lot that helps with the mucus stuff and wonder if my ear problem could be caused more from LPR than swimming. I have been very careful to keep water out of my ears and don't put my head under water but it's been over 2 weeks now and not better. Any advice? I know many of you have the ear fullness too. Have you gotten ear infections from the LPR? I often get sinus infections. Looking forward to your suggestions!

CharBerry

Old 06-30-2008, 12:53 PM   #2
(female)

cl84 HB User
Re: LPR & Ear Problems

Hi Charberry!

Ear pressure and pain(always the left)have been one of my worst symptoms. Sometimes the pain is excruciating. I have found that chewing gum helps a lot with the pressure. Cinnamon seems to help the most and even relieves the pain for a short time. I have seen 2 ENTs and neither one seems to know why the ear pain is so bad. I also suffer from migraine disease and doctors seem to think that maybe the pain is neurological in nature. However, tests and treatments have not helped. I am sure that it is related to the LPR since the ear pain is worse when my throat symptoms are worse. I have never had an ear infection in my life. I just started drinking Aloe Vera Juice and it doesn't seem to help either. I've only been taking it a few days so I am trying to be patient.

Try chewing cinnamon gum. I know it sounds strange but for me it provides a little relief even if it's only for a short time.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2008, 02:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

Thanks! Chewing gum helps me with the LPR in other ways too. I just happened to get back from ENT spec who suctioned some yuck from my ear so it is much better already. He also did the scope into my throat (for the 20th time I think) and his reply was "Looks like reflux to me." He didn't think I would need to wear plugs to swim or anything. Amazing what reflux can do.

Char

Old 06-30-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Quote:
He also did the scope into my throat (for the 20th time I think) and his reply was "Looks like reflux to me." He didn't think I would need to wear plugs to swim or anything. Amazing what reflux can do.
Geez. That was very helpful. Soooo, what were his suggestions?????

Old 07-01-2008, 10:11 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

What do you think? Same ones I've heard for WAY over the 20th time. Take your meds, watch your diet, lose wt, avoid stress. I did tell him I hadn't had any problems with my voice since the juice! It's this darn PND and cough, choke spells that I can't handle. He said looked like some allergy but more LPR. At least I'm back to my normal deafness today. LOL.

Char

Old 07-01-2008, 11:43 AM   #6
(female)

cl84 HB User

What's the juice you drink? I am drinking Aloe Vera Juice right now.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-02-2008 at 06:16 AM. Reason: unnecessary quote

Old 07-01-2008, 12:53 PM   #7
(female)

legaleagle01 HB User

Charberry,

Actually my first symptoms were ear pain pressure and bad breath. The ear pain is from the excessive mucus that gets in your Eustacian tube, I think that's hope you spell it. I use to get horrible infection, I bought lots of OTC stuff for ear infections but they woudln't go away then I srtated back using my PPI and it went away. I've been using it again for about two weeks now and so far no ear pain at all. Mine was worse in the mornings but now I feel normal and I can hear like I did pre-LPR. Also, the excessive mucus is gone, it use to be so bad I could barely breath but then I started taking my meds again and it went away.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:30 PM   #8
(female)

SophiesMom07 HB User

Charberry,

I have been suffering from this frightening condition since February of this year. My ears are full and have a constant ringing most of the time. I have not yet had an infection. Did any medications ever relieve the ear symptoms for any period of time?

Old 07-01-2008, 06:48 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

( removed ) I swear my voice was bad for years until the juice! Helped other things some but there's just those days. I used an antibiotic that started with a N for my ear for 10 days. ENT said fungus yesterday but sure feels better since the suction. I also used to get horrible, horrible ear pain and all along my jaw. Not so bad now other than the full feeling, which will drive you nuts. Been off Nexium couple of days but I think I'm just in a flare right now. ENT did make script for twice a day but I can't tell any difference. Will give it a try though.

Char

Last edited by moderator2; 07-02-2008 at 06:14 AM. Reason: if a word is not allowed, there is a reason - if you have a question about board policy, contact the administrator by email

Closed Thread