It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2008, 02:26 PM   #1
(female)

Perdi HB User
gerd and alcohol

I have been diagnosed with gerd and a small hiatal hernia. Yesterday we had a party and I drank a little more than usual and today my chest feels like a combination of pressure and burning. Does alcohol cause gerd to act up even more than it usually does? Any one have this problem when they drink?

Old 07-05-2008, 08:33 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: gerd and alcohol

Alcohol should be avoided with GERD.

For me, I feel it up to a couple days after sometimes. Beer and wine can be the worst.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
(female)

twilb15 HB User

I can just smell alcohol and my stomach starts burning. I went to a party and had a pink wine cooler of some kind, I really thought I was going to die. It just took my breath away it burned all the way down. Beer isn't as bad, but liquor and wine are horrible. I've had one beer since early December. It's so not worth it.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I talked to the doctor last week about this. I brought up food and drinks with GERD and acid reflux. He said to avoid alcohol. It will make it flare up. It relaxes the muscle by the sternum and cause the acid to come up. Actually alcohol, caffeine drinks like coffee and pop will cause that little muscle to relax and then your stomach contents can creep up causing the problem. It may not be such a problem but if there is acid in there like more than the normal person it will come up and burn. I had wine two night ago and have had a major set back. But the Cheeseburger didn't help eithor.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:35 PM   #5
(female)

nessie01 HB User

i think that it depends on the person . i know two freinds who are on daily ppi and they both drink alcohol fine, one drinks a beer every nite and she has no issues..........the other has prob a wine or two a week an no issues either.........i must amitt before i released what was happening ie i have gerd or gb issues (seeing spec tonite) i was never bothered by acholol either.
its very individual and you may be able to have a drink again when you are more healed and your tummy and throat are not so inflamed
cheers

Old 07-10-2008, 01:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

I drink mostly white wine and have no problem with it causing reflux. Beer sometimes causes it so I go easy on that.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:21 PM   #7
(male)

Jonas87 HB User

I do, after drinking my reflux is worse. i was told by my Doctor that alchohol weakens the (spincter) muscle at the bottom of the esophagus causing it to stay open letting up all the stomach acid.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:58 PM   #8
(female)

shelovescliche HB User

I actually read something about this. Alcohol causes your stomach to produce more acid (which is why too much of it can cause someone to throw up), which would definitely make GERD worse.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:29 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

You'll pay for it.....You'll do it anyway sometimes, but you'll still pay for it.

Char
Berry

Closed Thread