It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
(female)

OneCharmedMom HB User
acid reflux.....

Thanks everyone for their help. ..I am going to implement everything that I can to help.

Last edited by OneCharmedMom; 08-03-2008 at 01:42 PM. Reason: to thank posters for their time and support

Old 07-24-2008, 11:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User
Re: Doing research to help my 75 year old Uncle with painful acid reflux....

I hate when no one answers but we're all so different it's hard to say what foods one can eat and not another. I feel for you and will try to help. I've found baked sweet potatoes are easy for me to eat as well as pumpkin pie. Apples are about the only fruit that I can eat without getting reflux symptoms but since I have the LPR type, I choke easily sometimes. Creamed spinach is even good when you get hungry. Maybe on toast.
Personally bread of any kind is hard for me. I know things creamy are supposed to be bad for reflux but maybe some kind of potatoe soup would be soothing. An awful thought but you may have to resort to baby foods or mashed foods.

I wish you and your uncle the best of luck.

CharBerry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2008, 07:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

I am so sorry for what your Uncle is suffering - having to deal with the cancer is bad enough - but to suffer the GERD on top of it - I am so sorry.

My main symptom of GERD is terrible burning pain from my stomach, up my esophogus, and into my throat - like your Uncle I suffer almost constantly. I too have lost over 20 pounds from the pain. I take Prevacid and Carafate and they help a little - does your Uncle take any medications for the GERD? I am having an endoscopy done next Friday so they can try and see what is going on. Has your Uncle had any testing?

I can eat the following (although there are times when every thing I put in my mouth burns and hurts).

Cold cereals with non-fat milk (Cinnamon Life mostly), white rice, sweet potatos, tuna (no mayo on it) - salad with non-fat dressing, plain biscuits, white meat turkey and chicken, low fat yogurt, egg whites, mozzarella cheese (all other cheese bothers me). The only seasoning I use is Mrs. Dash Table Blend - no onions, no tomatos, no garlic, no spicy ANYTHING, so fatty foods, no fried foods. I do make myself blended smoothies with vanilla soy milk, yogurt, fresh strawberries and peaches and honey and find these VERY SOOTHING on my throat and stomach.

I deal with the pain daily and many times it just overcomes me and I am almost unable to function normally - this makes me depressed and sometimes so overwhelmed - but your Uncle he has overcome SO MUCH - there is help out there for him for this - maybe he just needs to find the right diet and medication to help.

My hope is when they do the endoscopy they will see what is making this so bad for me and be able to fix it

I hope your Uncle finds relief SOON and how sweet of you to try and help him. God Bless

Vanessa

Old 07-25-2008, 12:41 PM   #4
(male)

noggin7717 HB User

My grandmother is about the same age, mid-70s and I've been giving her some of my medicine for her reflux. I talked with her last night and she said that her biggest contributor to the reflux is her ritual coffee.

I think the biggest problem will be is his weight. The doctors and maybe friends/family are trying to get him to eat things to put the weight back on after his battle with cancer; adding weight and GERD do not go hand-in-hand. Fatty foods are horrible for acid. Chocolate is bad. Some people, including myself, have a hard time with gluten in foods, like bread, chips, crusty things, etc.

At night, if/when he sleeps, is the best time for his digestive system to heal somewhat. Head of bed elevated helps, higher the better. No eating 3hrs prior to going to sleep. Taking some acid blocker/reducer before bed, Zantac150 or similar.

Without doctor prescribed meds, that's about all I have. Best of luck to your uncle and your family.

-Noggin

Closed Thread