It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
(female)

Hockeycrazy3033 HB User
Acid Reflux & Weight Loss

I had an appointment with my gastro two weeks ago because Zegerid started being ineffective for me. I described all my symptoms to the doc and he said that I might have gallstones *I'm getting an ultra sound tomorrow* anyways, he put me on these chalky white pills that I have to take 4 times a day to coat the lining of my stomach. It says nothing about helping GERD, and while the pill doesn't bother me, it is certainly doing not for my Reflux. I have no appetite, and I am constantly burping with acid coming up into my throat and burning. I was weighed in at 110 2 weeks ago and now just weighing myself in the morning I'm at 108. I'm only 5'1" so it doesn't look too great on me and now I am really worried. I explained my weight loss/no appetite to the Doc and he did a CBC blood test, thyroid, and sugar. It's been a week in a half and I haven't heard anything so I'm assuming the blood work is good, but still I don't like the fact that I am barely getting any calories in my diet and have this horrible feeling in my throat/stomach. To top that off I have anxiety and that doesn't make it better.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Can it really cause you to lose weight and
what can I do for the time being about my reflux/eating habits?

Thanks so much.

Last edited by Hockeycrazy3033; 07-29-2008 at 10:01 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User
Re: Acid Reflux & Weight Loss

Hockey,

If you do not mind me asking - what are your symptoms? Have you had an upper endoscopy done yet?

I take the carafate also (4) times a day - it does nothing for my reflux either (I also take Prevacid 30mg daily) - which isn't helping much either. My Dr. told me that the Carafate coats the throat and the stomach to help lessen the damage done by the acid. So I guess its really not a reflux medicine, more of medicine that helps heal damage and also ulcer damage to.

I had my gallbladder removed (2) years ago. My reflux started in 10/2007.... I am supposed to have an endoscopy done Friday - and I am freakin out because I have a MAJOR PHOBIA of being put to sleep for procedures, tests, or surgeries - even just the 'twilight sleep' - PLUS I am afraid that the results will be 'normal' like all my other tests have been. Not that I want there to be something wrong -- I just want this problem to be FIXABLE because this constant horrible burning chest and throat pain is so painful and it interfers with my life terribly. Like you it has caused weight loss because eating or not eating is just a painful experience all around.

One thing I have noticed it that the reflux seems to be made worse by the medications that I take for HBP - but what can I do I have to take them.. This is all so frustrating and scary....

Vanessa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2008, 08:59 PM   #3
(female)

karate_mom HB User

I too have lost weight which scares me. I am only 5'1" as well and only weigh 104-107. I started out around 112. I always read "if you lose weight for no reason" call the doctor. I don't know if it's because I am so worried, or just the uncomfortable feeling I have when I eat, which is making me lose the weight, so I avoid food or what. Anyway, right there with ya. I am taking Omezrapole for GERD but I think the doctor is just guessing what I have. I have so many different symptoms from day to day it's ridiculous. I don't know if it's from the reflux, or the meds. I have tightening in the throat, which I think ends up like a pulled muscle because I am so nervous. Or maybe it is contracting so tight it is starting to spasm. I don't have much burning any more. Just gassy, heartburn, and bloating. And sometimes a burning tightening feeling in the throat. Anyway, good luck ...

Old 07-29-2008, 09:57 PM   #4
(female)

Hockeycrazy3033 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa74 View Post
Hockey,

If you do not mind me asking - what are your symptoms? Have you had an upper endoscopy done yet?

I take the carafate also (4) times a day - it does nothing for my reflux either (I also take Prevacid 30mg daily) - which isn't helping much either. My Dr. told me that the Carafate coats the throat and the stomach to help lessen the damage done by the acid. So I guess its really not a reflux medicine, more of medicine that helps heal damage and also ulcer damage to.

I had my gallbladder removed (2) years ago. My reflux started in 10/2007.... I am supposed to have an endoscopy done Friday - and I am freakin out because I have a MAJOR PHOBIA of being put to sleep for procedures, tests, or surgeries - even just the 'twilight sleep' - PLUS I am afraid that the results will be 'normal' like all my other tests have been. Not that I want there to be something wrong -- I just want this problem to be FIXABLE because this constant horrible burning chest and throat pain is so painful and it interfers with my life terribly. Like you it has caused weight loss because eating or not eating is just a painful experience all around.

One thing I have noticed it that the reflux seems to be made worse by the medications that I take for HBP - but what can I do I have to take them.. This is all so frustrating and scary....

Vanessa
Hey Vanessa,

Yeah I've had an Endo done and they diagnosed me with gerd and minor gastritis. Zegerid was working great for awhile and then just recently the past few months hasn't been so good.

My symptoms are heartburn *as usual* constant burping, feeling fullness, lack of appetite, bloating, pain in lower abdomen upon waking up, headache..

Yeah those pills don't help me at all with my GERD, it just helps the coat of the stomach like you said.

Did you have gallstones? Is that why you got your gallbladder removed?

As for your endo appointment, don't worry about it! You'll be fine. Trust me when I say I am the biggest chicken with things like that. I have such bad anxiety over it. My heart rate sky rocketed as I was getting ready to do the procedure but they give you something that relaxes you and after that everything is good. You'll be fine hun. Let me know how it goes.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:00 PM   #5
(female)

Hockeycrazy3033 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by karate_mom View Post
I too have lost weight which scares me. I am only 5'1" as well and only weigh 104-107. I started out around 112. I always read "if you lose weight for no reason" call the doctor. I don't know if it's because I am so worried, or just the uncomfortable feeling I have when I eat, which is making me lose the weight, so I avoid food or what. Anyway, right there with ya. I am taking Omezrapole for GERD but I think the doctor is just guessing what I have. I have so many different symptoms from day to day it's ridiculous. I don't know if it's from the reflux, or the meds. I have tightening in the throat, which I think ends up like a pulled muscle because I am so nervous. Or maybe it is contracting so tight it is starting to spasm. I don't have much burning any more. Just gassy, heartburn, and bloating. And sometimes a burning tightening feeling in the throat. Anyway, good luck ...
Wow you sound exactly like me. I was actually 130 pounds 2 years ago, but had an anxiety/panic attack *had no idea what it was when it first happened to me* I was rushed to the ER and since then lost a bunch of weight. Always had stomach problems along with that though. Back in February when I first went to see my Gastro I was 118, and now I'm down to 108. I hate it.
I too have the gassy, heartburn, bloating feeling. It makes me not want to eat and if I do it's very little and I don't consume nearly enough calories a day which makes me lose weight.

Have you gotten blood work done?

Old 07-30-2008, 11:03 AM   #6
(female)

karate_mom HB User

NO I haven't had blood work done, but last year I had IBS. The meds he gave me helped so fast but also put me to sleep! I had a TEE test last November for Mitral Valve Prolapse where they stick a tube down through your esophagus so a little camera can see the heart. If the tube went down ok, I figured, guess there's no tumor there. (That was an afterthought since my reflux didn't start till just this year.) I always think of the worst though. That's my problem. Also, my body is on a hair-trigger when it comes to symptoms. I can thank the MVP for that. So I feel everything like it's magnifide by 10. I am trying to eat more to put some weight back on, but I love to exercise so it really isn't helping. Well, try not to worry about being put to sleep. I was put in a twilight sleep for the TEE and it's the most relaxed I've been in awhile. Think of it as a positive thing, and maybe something that will help you finally!

Good luck with the test.

Closed Thread