It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2011, 03:26 PM   #16
(male)

skyrocket1 HB User
Re: weird sensation in my chest, not burning, but more electricity like.

Just had another thought - Concentrating on the diaphragm, if I take a deep breath and lift my chest the senstations immediate goes away. I also feel much better but I cant keep my body that way for long. Also its too late I'm awake anyway. I think it has something to do with reflux and the hernia. I try to improve my posture when I walk around. Drink plenty of water that sometimes helps. Also eating a red apple slowly during the night has known stop these electric shocks and chest pain. Sleep in fetal position helps. A hot water bottle over my sternum good too. A tiny bit of pressure in the right just below the diaphragm has worked too to push the chest sligtly so that the hernia is out of place slightly and not irriating the same old place its stuck or reflux (this needs getting right in positioning and the pressure needs to be correct and gentle enough so that it does not worsen things ) The trouble is there are several methods to overcome this problem but they do not work every time and that's what's frustrating.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #17
(male)

lege009 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrocket1 View Post
hi everyone - I have been following these posts carefully over the last few months. This is the first time I have found people with exactly the same symptoms as me. I have been diagnosed with a small hiatus hernia. Just as I'm coming out of phase 1 sleep, I get an electric shock/jolt in my chest area, then it will rediate like pins and needs right down into my legs. After that, mild or severe I'm awake again. Its causing severe insomnia and sleepless nights. Its funny like one of the contributors, I can get some sleep past 3 in the morning but I cant attract a reason. I can also get nausea too. I have had long association with this right back to my drinking days and fizzy drink overcumsumption. Now while anxiety has a part in this and it certainly doesn't help, and can increase the liklihood of these episodes - it is not the main cause - now that's where people and doctors get confused to a great extent. Its more to do with the hiatus hernia rubbing, letting of pressure or something to do with reflux - I cant get if propaly explained - doctors are reluctant to explain something they don't understand or is not in their little text book about atomach problems so pass it off as anxiety. Going non gluten has helped. There are certain things one can do to make episodes less. E.g. watching what you eat. If I have a particularly bad epsode one night after my hours sleep I can wake up with a knawing hollow feeling in my stomach, also my stomach feels sore when its empty. After reading this I don't feel as mad now which I have done when I've tried to explain it to people.
Hello,

I am having the exact same symptoms as you. Particularly with the sensation shooting down the legs and making them tingly. Im curious if you've ever been concretely diagnosed with anything. I've been to cardiologists and 3 neurologists and nobody has been able to explain these electrical sensations in my sternum. Ive had sleep studies, heart tests, everything imaginable. Should I go see a GI doctor? Anyone with help, please write. I'm desperate for answers.

Thank You

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #18
(male)

skyrocket1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lege009 View Post
Hello,

I am having the exact same symptoms as you. Particularly with the sensation shooting down the legs and making them tingly. Im curious if you've ever been concretely diagnosed with anything. I've been to cardiologists and 3 neurologists and nobody has been able to explain these electrical sensations in my sternum. Ive had sleep studies, heart tests, everything imaginable. Should I go see a GI doctor? Anyone with help, please write. I'm desperate for answers.

Thank You
I have made some big progress with my porblem. I found it had nothing directly to do with digestion though it is involved via nervous system. I went to the chiropractor on the NHS - they adjusted my back and neck. They said I had a sublux - mechanical problem in my spine - so they adjusted it and loosened the muscles in the neck. It didn't immediately wave magic wands but the problem has never been as bad since and has been getting better. I have also have dyspraxia which affects the way the brain sends messages via the nervous system. Please note, I had to do my own research on this - doctors tend to refer to text books every time they diagnose, anything outside this they need help from the patient - after all we are the ones suffering. I was just lucky enough that my doctor was prepared to look at my evidence and take me seriously. Not all of them are like that - they don't like being told. Anway the electrical shocks on the whole are not so severe now and I'm getting regular sleep.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #19
(male)

skyrocket1 HB User

Had another thought - hot water bottle or hear bad on spine has really helped with sleep. Apply when feeling tense. It helps the flow of blood through the nervous system from spine. Prevents tension headaches.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #20
(male)

lege009 HB User

I have already scheduled to see a GI in a few weeks. I will see what they find and then might go the chiropractic route after. Have your doctors advised you if this is a lifelong condition? does it get worse? I swear it feels like the electricity is going to stop my heart at times. It's very scary. Thank you for your help and I will keep you updated.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #21
(male)

lege009 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinSeed View Post
i was just wondering if anyone else has this. i can't really figure out if it's GI issue. it happens when i am laying down. sometimes when i'm asleep it will wake me up. but today i kept trying to fall asleep and it would happen over and over again and now i'm just fed up.

i will feel a weird electrical shock type feeling in the middle of my chest. a bit above my sternum and a bit to the left. it's like someone is running electricity through my chest. it last approximately 1 second. it also feels like something inside is being 'wrung out' at the same time. a squeezy feeling, but very light and short.

i feel pretty calm when it happens, i don't notice any extra heart beats, no loud beats, no other symptom. i felt my pulse after one of these and it was pretty normal and quiet. it seems to go away when i sit up. i've been jolted awake i think from these episodes. usually with an adrenalin rush & major panic attack. deep breathing will make it go away, i also swallow alot of air and sit and burp and reburp myself insanely after. it feels like i'm letting pressure out (but don't think i really am, just swallowing more air). I have really bad acid reflux, but it comes and goes, right now it's not too bad.

right now, i am sitting here writing this, the last bunch of these happened about 20 minutes ago, about four in a row within 15 minutes. right now my chest feels like it is slightly electric. i know that's a weird description but the only way i can describe it. kind of shivery and light.

I always burp after.
Hello,

I am wondering if you have been diagnosed with anything concretely and if you have found anything that has helped your symptoms. I am schedudeld to see a GI in a few weeks. Just trying to get as much information as possible. Hope you're feeling better.

Thank You

Old 07-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #22
(male)

lege009 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttylulu View Post
I too am getting this shock sensation. It is always worse at night, only lasts a second but is like an electrical surge through my chest. I sometimes get it when I swallow my own saliva, but sometimes it just happens on its own.
In the last week or so I have had to sleep propped up on a mountain of pillows as it seems to happen more when I am laying flat.
It often starts at night when I am semi-reclined on the sofa, and while it doesn't really hurt, it isn't a nice sensation and leaves me feeling anxious.
I am also finding at night time, my ears pop everytime I swallow, and I have become very sensitive to noises, not just loud noise.
For the past 10 months or so I have been having various chest twinges, palpitations, and "flipping" feelings in the chest happening daily and it has had me in a constant state of fear
. The doctor thinks it might be a Hiatus Hernia and I have been on Acimax & Nexium for reflux, which I don't suffer badly, along with my blood pressure medications.

This latest shock sensation is just another thing for me to worry about and nobody seems to want to really find out what is going on.

The only thing I have had done in the last few months is the Holter Monitor and it showed up nothing...but nothing seemed to happen in the 24 hrs I had it on...the usual case.
Hello,

I am experiencing almost the same symptoms as you. My ears have been popping constantly along with the electrical feelings at night. I am also very sensitive to sudden noises, not necessarily loud ones. Really curious if you've found a cure for your problems? Are the electrical sensations and popping ears related? Which doctors should I go see. Thank you so much!

Old 07-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #23
(male)

derbusterhund HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinSeed View Post
i was just wondering if anyone else has this. i can't really figure out if it's GI issue. it happens when i am laying down. sometimes when i'm asleep it will wake me up. but today i kept trying to fall asleep and it would happen over and over again and now i'm just fed up.

i will feel a weird electrical shock type feeling in the middle of my chest. a bit above my sternum and a bit to the left. it's like someone is running electricity through my chest. it last approximately 1 second. it also feels like something inside is being 'wrung out' at the same time. a squeezy feeling, but very light and short.

i feel pretty calm when it happens, i don't notice any extra heart beats, no loud beats, no other symptom. i felt my pulse after one of these and it was pretty normal and quiet. it seems to go away when i sit up. i've been jolted awake i think from these episodes. usually with an adrenalin rush & major panic attack. deep breathing will make it go away, i also swallow alot of air and sit and burp and reburp myself insanely after. it feels like i'm letting pressure out (but don't think i really am, just swallowing more air). I have really bad acid reflux, but it comes and goes, right now it's not too bad.

right now, i am sitting here writing this, the last bunch of these happened about 20 minutes ago, about four in a row within 15 minutes. right now my chest feels like it is slightly electric. i know that's a weird description but the only way i can describe it. kind of shivery and light.

I always burp after.
Hello~ I found you description quite reassuring. I have been taking medication for GERD for about 15 years. Within the several months I have been experiencing a new sensation which has led to a recurrent panic attacks, especially during the night. If I stand up from bed I get this alarming sensation in my chest. It feels like a fairly tight, tingly rush in my chest and I can feel my pulse quite profoundly. There is NO pain whatsoever in my chest or abdomen though similar to those that I have during an acid reflux "attack". This sensation continues once I have laid back down and can lead to another sensation that I have labeled "squishy heart". It feels as if there is a large sponge in my chest cavity that is being gently squeezed and the an airy feeling just like soap suds filled up in your chest/stomach. Many a night these sensations have led to a panic attack. Just looking for some peace of mind.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #24
(male)

lege009 HB User

Quote:
hello,

i am experiencing almost the same symptoms as you. My ears have been popping constantly along with the electrical feelings at night. I am also very sensitive to sudden noises, not necessarily loud ones. Really curious if you've found a cure for your problems? Are the electrical sensations and popping ears related? Which doctors should i go see. Thank you so much!
has anyone figured out what the heck this is??? Its driving me insane!!!

Old 10-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #25
(male)

Jeru78 HB User

Hi all,

Glad to know I am not the only one feeling these sensations. Thought I might be going crazy. I get electric shock sensations to my heart/chest along with a squeezing sensation in my chest. They are very short lasting 1-3 seconds. I can get them at most maybe 3-4 times a day. They come and go, often not appearing for weeks at a time. A few months ago they were so bad it sent me into panic attacks and forced me to visit the E.R. After they gave me an EKG, blood enzyme test and chest xray they determined my heart was not the issue and diagnosed me with having a bad GERD episode. (I have had bad acid reflux issues for years now) After they gave me a GI cocktail, I was fine for the next few weeks until it returned. I visited a cardiologist a month ago and after a stress test, sonogram and even a 24 hour heart monitor, he determined that my heart was strong and healthy with no blockage or valve issues. He did notice I had prehypertension, but said at no point did I have or was having heart attacks. I even had 2 or 3 shock feelings while wearing the heart monitor, they found nothing. Perplexed by my description of what I was going through, his best guess was that it could be the result of strain on my heart from the mildly high blood pressure. But his lack of solid diagnosis is unsettling.

Today they have returned and I have had 2 strong ones this morning. I have made an appointment with my GI doctor since I am now almost positive this is a digestive/esophagus issue most likely linked to the GERD as the E.R. diagnosed. Hopefully the GI doctor can give me more explanation to what causes it, prevention and hopefully medication to tackle it when it does occur. Although I can continue through my daily routine despite them, it takes a toll on your mental stability as they make you very anxious and send you into panic attacks.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #26
(male)

lege009 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeru78 View Post
Hi all,

Glad to know I am not the only one feeling these sensations. Thought I might be going crazy. I get electric shock sensations to my heart/chest along with a squeezing sensation in my chest. They are very short lasting 1-3 seconds. I can get them at most maybe 3-4 times a day. They come and go, often not appearing for weeks at a time. A few months ago they were so bad it sent me into panic attacks and forced me to visit the E.R. After they gave me an EKG, blood enzyme test and chest xray they determined my heart was not the issue and diagnosed me with having a bad GERD episode. (I have had bad acid reflux issues for years now) After they gave me a GI cocktail, I was fine for the next few weeks until it returned. I visited a cardiologist a month ago and after a stress test, sonogram and even a 24 hour heart monitor, he determined that my heart was strong and healthy with no blockage or valve issues. He did notice I had prehypertension, but said at no point did I have or was having heart attacks. I even had 2 or 3 shock feelings while wearing the heart monitor, they found nothing. Perplexed by my description of what I was going through, his best guess was that it could be the result of strain on my heart from the mildly high blood pressure. But his lack of solid diagnosis is unsettling.

Today they have returned and I have had 2 strong ones this morning. I have made an appointment with my GI doctor since I am now almost positive this is a digestive/esophagus issue most likely linked to the GERD as the E.R. diagnosed. Hopefully the GI doctor can give me more explanation to what causes it, prevention and hopefully medication to tackle it when it does occur. Although I can continue through my daily routine despite them, it takes a toll on your mental stability as they make you very anxious and send you into panic attacks.
Hello Jeru,

Unfortunately, I too thought that these sensations were related to GERD after my cardiologist also determined that my heart was healthy and normal. I had an upper endoscopy and everything was normal. (no hiatal hernia, no signs of damage from GERD). I was hoping that a hiatal hernia would finally give me an explanation of my symptoms, but it remains a mystery to both myself, and my doctors.

I will say that I STRONGLY believe that most of these sensations are related to stress/anxiety. I know that you want to discount that explanation and find an organic cause for your symptoms, but I really want you to consider the possibility of anxiety.

I have had terrible symptoms since January and have gone from thinking I had MS, to heart failure, to ALS, to lyme disease, to epilepsy, to menieres disease, to strokes to everything you can think of. (I am only 22). I have been to 3 cardiologists, 4 neurologists, 2 ENT's and multiple PC visits...everything has checked on normal. Anxiety has a nasty snowball effect and it can really end your quality of life. Try to relax and see how that helps. I recommend some chamomile tea before you go to sleep. AND STAY OFF THE DAMN INTERNET! That's where I filled my head with all those diseases that I ended up not having.

Anxiety can manifest itself in a whole bunch of ways...don't let it consume you. Let me know if the doctors find anything, but in the meantime, really try to relax.

Regards.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:58 AM   #27
(male)

Jeru78 HB User

Quote:
Hello Jeru,

Unfortunately, I too thought that these sensations were related to GERD after my cardiologist also determined that my heart was healthy and normal. I had an upper endoscopy and everything was normal. (no hiatal hernia, no signs of damage from GERD). I was hoping that a hiatal hernia would finally give me an explanation of my symptoms, but it remains a mystery to both myself, and my doctors.

I will say that I STRONGLY believe that most of these sensations are related to stress/anxiety. I know that you want to discount that explanation and find an organic cause for your symptoms, but I really want you to consider the possibility of anxiety.

I have had terrible symptoms since January and have gone from thinking I had MS, to heart failure, to ALS, to lyme disease, to epilepsy, to menieres disease, to strokes to everything you can think of. (I am only 22). I have been to 3 cardiologists, 4 neurologists, 2 ENT's and multiple PC visits...everything has checked on normal. Anxiety has a nasty snowball effect and it can really end your quality of life. Try to relax and see how that helps. I recommend some chamomile tea before you go to sleep. AND STAY OFF THE DAMN INTERNET! That's where I filled my head with all those diseases that I ended up not having.

Anxiety can manifest itself in a whole bunch of ways...don't let it consume you. Let me know if the doctors find anything, but in the meantime, really try to relax.

Regards.
Thanks. I do feel anxiety has a lot to do with it. I have a highly stressful job and have a bit of debt with medical bills right now obviously. Doctors have even noticed the huge difference in my blood pressure from when I show up to the doctors office to when they tell me I'm fine and I leave the office. People with high anxiety describe the same heart shock sensations. My grandfather passed away 2 years ago from a heart attack, so I feel like if I dont check everything, I could miss something. I think that's where the anxiety comes from. Think instead of a bottomless pit of medical explanations, maybe I should seek meditation courses or counseling. Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #28
(female)

PumpkinSeed HB UserPumpkinSeed HB User

anxiety = stomach problems. all these weird chesty sensations are caused by a nervous stomach. i'm 99.9% sure. i went to my gastrologist two days ago and he said my anxiety is totally killing my stomach (not in those exact words but you get the gist of it). it's a vicious cycle.

my anxiety symptoms are:
sick feeling in stomach
chest pains
left arm pain feeling tingly and numb (cuz im scared of heart attacks so i get of course the heart attack symptoms)
numb tingly parts on my face
short of breath like im forgetting to breathe.

etc etc.

all symptoms disappear when i take a clonazepam to calm myself down, and/or stomach meds.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:20 AM   #29
(male)

Tandem Rider HB UserTandem Rider HB UserTandem Rider HB UserTandem Rider HB User

In Aug. 2011 I posted on this thread about a weird sensation in my chest. My symptoms were pain at the base of my sternum, feeling hot and a crawling feeling in the center of my chest.

At that time, I was 3 months post TIF and had been treated for hemochromatosis for 1.5 years. Hemochromatosis is a genetic condition in which too much iron is absorbed from food. This excess iron accumulates in the organs and over time it becomes a serious condition, sometimes fatal. The treatment is to take blood which removes the excess iron. In the last 2.5 years I have had 15 units of blood drawn and continue to have 3 units drawn a year.

Now my symptoms are greatly reduced and I feel much better. My reflux is normal, my stomach has settled down from the TIF surgery, and my iron is normal.

Was my problem from reflux or the hemochromatosis? I'll never know but probably a combination of the two. The test for high iron is a simple test and it has saved me from the the complications of hemochromatosis.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #30
(male)

mosbymountain HB User

Quote:
Hello,

I am wondering if you have been diagnosed with anything concretely and if you have found anything that has helped your symptoms. I am schedudeld to see a GI in a few weeks. Just trying to get as much information as possible. Hope you're feeling better.

Thank You
i have the same problems. i had my gallbladder out in Jan. 2012 and the very next day i still felt the same way. found out two months later i had H pylori. after antibiotics treatments still the same feelings. after all summer of bloated, inflamed bowels i have figured out that wheat bloats me even though i dont have celiac. Lettuce destroys my guts. all scopes and colonoscopy's show all is normal. they give me elavil to block the stomach pains but still the same feelings. mostly in early evenings right around 5:00 pm.????wierd can anyone help????

Closed Thread