It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008, 03:00 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

carisa HB User
How long do you flare ups last of acid reflux?

Hi everyone,
I've had problems with acid reflux/heartburn for two years. I will go through months at a time with no relief, and then I will have months where I feel great. It always comes back out of the blue for no reason and takes forever to leave. Anyone else have this problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
(female)

nleeh HB User
Re: How long do you flare ups last of acid reflux?

carisa, one good thing is the acid reflux clears up in-between bouts but when it hits, it hits. I have chronic acid reflux and am on constant medication...Previcid...but since you only have it some of the time, have you watched if it is related to what you eat during the times you have it? Or if you are overly stressed out during before it comes on? Just offering some ideas for you.

nleeh

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

carisa HB User

Yes, I have been under constant stress. Just went through an IVF cycle and are using a surrogate who is 13 weeks pregnant with twins. It is VERY expensive. So that could be where the flare up came? I am on prevacid 2 times a day. Do you have it everyday with no relief? I'm worried one of these days, like right now, it may never go away. It's been such a problem. Not sure what to do. I've had to upper endoscopys, and one colonoscopy.

Carisa

Old 08-20-2008, 10:58 AM   #4
(male)

greg1x HB User
Smile Re: How long do you flare ups last of acid reflux?

When I have flareups they last about a day or two. This being said, I treat flare ups very aggresively. I take approx 3 Prevacids a day, and up to 600 mg of Zantac and antacids as needed. i do not recommend this for everyone , but it works for me.
Greg

Old 08-20-2008, 11:01 AM   #5
(female)

nleeh HB User

carisa, my acid refux problem got worse over the years. I started out taking Tums and then progressed to perscription drugs and today I have to take medication daily or I can't eat anything without pain but hopefully yours will not progress to such an extent. I do think stress is a factor that doesn't help, so I hope you can find a way to relax more but I know even regular daily life can be stressful in and of itself. Since your acid reflux comes and goes at this point, watching what you eat may also help. I've come to accept that I will alwasy have to take medication for it since there is no reliable surgery to fix the problem.

Closed Thread