It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2008, 05:14 AM   #1
(female)

mitchell2000 HB User
what foods can you eat when you have acid reflex?

what foods can you eat when you have acid reflex?

Old 09-08-2008, 08:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User
Re: what foods can you eat when you have acid reflex?

I've found that I can eat about anything I want to. Gonna pay for the good foods as well as the bad! I can't really tell any difference. If it's a bad day......it's a bad day.

CharBerry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2008, 04:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Typically doctors recommend that you avoid alcohol and caffeine, chocolate, peppermint and fatty foods, orange juice, tomatoes and tomato-based sauces, and foods that are very spicy.

They also recommend not eating anything for about 3 hours before bedtime.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:48 PM   #4
(female)

szqsk8 HB User

My doctor told me to avoid caffeine, carbonated drinks (killer reflux after drinking anything with bubbles!), mints, chocolate (killer too!), spicy stuff, citrus (lemons, limes, tomatoes, etc). I can't eat ketchup, A-1 steak sauce, salsa, garlic or anything with garlic, raw onions, lemonade, bananas, italian salad dressing, chiles, pizza, spaghetti sauce, pesto, pork products, anything fried (terrible indigestion!), pastries, commercially made cakes and frostings, anything with too much cracked pepper and cocktails containing sweet & sour mix.

I can drink wine, vodka and tequila (luckily) and I can eat bread, crackers, pretzels, oatmeal, cream of wheat, canned peaches, canned pineapple, grilled meats including red meat, most veggies, most non-citrus fruits, cold cuts (except Italian kind), certain dishes at the Mexican restaurant, most "comfort"-type foods (mashed potatoes, beef stew, pot pie, etc), non-spicy Chinese foods, rice of all kinds (plain or with a little butter and salt only), mac and cheese. Every day is different adventure though. I never eat anything before analyzing what's in it or how it is prepared and how it will affect my stomach.

I have lost 24 pounds hoping it would help with the reflux but so far I have no noticed any improvements. Docs act like dropping pounds is the cure-all for everything but not in this case, at least not yet. I have 25 more pounds to go so we'll see. Aloe Vera gel (Lily of the Nile brand) is helping a little too since it does help with inflammation. What you can and can't tolerate is usually a painful trial and error. And NEVER eat right before going to bed.

Last edited by szqsk8; 09-11-2008 at 05:53 PM.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

aether4 HB User

I mentioned that I do have some acid reflux to my gastro doc today. Getting my gallbladder out next month, and we're hoping that calms down the reflux. If not I get an endoscopy to check things out...

He did mention, that for a lot of people low carb and low sugar diets got rid of their acid reflux. It might be worth looking into if you have severe reflux and nothing else has helped much.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:07 AM   #6
(female)

nessie01 HB User

aether4
hay for your gallbladder are you having any normal gallbl type pain or just reflux? i dont have typical gallbladder pain but chronic LPR and gerd , gerd part is heped by meds but not the LPR, anyway my scan showed congested, scarred galblad and gallstones, just wondering if my glbld is contributing to my reflux as well, did your surgeon say the gallbladder can cause gerd as i thought thtat they were two separate probs
cheers ness

Old 09-12-2008, 08:23 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

aether4 HB User

I have minor gallbladder pain on the right - occasionally, bouts of diarrhea after eating (from too much or not enough bile), bad abdominal cramps, and the acid reflux.
When I get the cramps I get reflux, too, and I can get the reflux by itself.

He said it may help, it's a matter of - lets get it out and see what improves. I don't believe it will go away, but if it lessens in frequency, it would be nice.

But yes, if your gallbladder is bad it's certainly not doing you any favors and one of those stones could slip out and get stuck in the duct at any time. The pain from that is honestly worse then anything reflux can cause, you also risk bad infection when/if that happens.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I am still searching for a more detailed lists of food I can eat. I have bad reflux tonight and here's what I had today, a yogurt with granola, water, Banana, apple, a few pringles, grilled cheese sandwich and one hershey's kiss (that one was bad). Now my chest feels tight and sore. I have some mucus. I just can't win.

I too have lost weight thinking it would help. I have lost 12 pounds and plan on another 20. But it hasn't really cured my reflux. Oh well. I will still be glad I am losing the weight.

If anyone knows where I can find a more detailed food list let me know. Thanks!

Old 01-12-2009, 07:07 PM   #9
(female)

DMBF HB User

It is hard to direct you not knowing what exactly I can post! If you have a health food store near by, I would stop in there (FREE ADVICE) and ask if they have a chart about acid/alkaline forming foods. THe company I buy my GREEN drinks from (very alkalizing to the body plus great things in there for you in general) has a website and I think the food chart of theirs may be on that website. There are also books out there--I have one that is quite extensive but talks about how to keep your acid at bay....it's very interesting.

In general, what I have learned is to aim for, at any meal, eating 75% alkaline-forming foods (a lot of vegetables, whole grains, most fruit) and 25% acid-forming foods (most meats, lobster, anything with a lot of sugar, most dairy products, processed/fried foods)....so it's not that you can't eat those things, but you have to eat other foods to counter-act their effects. That can even mean sipping a glass of water with apple cider vinegar, which is alkalizing iNSIDE the body. You should keep a food journal for a couple of weeks and circle things that you really think are causing heartburn. What you had today definitely had some No-No's! you hardly ate anything alkaline, and the chips, grilled cheese, and hersey kiss were probably not great! Eat those things if you love them, but eat fresh veggies along with it! I have found that the riper the fruit, the more it bothers me. So, I can eat bananas that are greenish, but definitely not with a speck of brown. Same with apples. I've heard Granny Smith apples are particularly good. Stay away from canned fruits--they are old and often with lots of natural sugar or added sugar. Sugar is acidic. Drink lots of water, and, though surprisingly, fresh lemon juice in your water (squeeze a fresh lemon--not the bottled kind) is alkaline and for some, a great way to start the day and alkalize your body! Hope this helps...I know there is a lot of sources out there if you want to really look into it, and sometimes conflicting info. Keep your diary and figure out what works and doesn't work for yoU!!!

Old 01-12-2009, 07:51 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

THanks for the great advice!! I really blew it today. I even had a small glass of white wine with my chicken pot pie tonight. I am laying propped up in misery right now. I just really blew it! My stomach is bloated. I have pms. ( I just wish it what start, sorry to be graphic but pms isn't helping matters!)
The wine must have some acid in it.

So you really say Appple cidar vinegar will really be ok?? I have done a couple of sips before bed last night and I do think it helped. And again this morning. I put mine in water. It is just so yucky! But I will do it. Maybe if I am consistant with it I will see a difference. I am so afraid I will have this the rest of my life. And I will sit and type until I am 80 talking about my foods. lol
Aren't we all tired of it? lol

Old 01-13-2009, 05:55 PM   #11
(female)

DMBF HB User

I use to put my Apple Cider Vinegar in warm water, and then add honey (also alkalizing to the body)....I got quite used to it after a few days!!!!

I know, it is frustrating. I hang on to a story my dr. told me about a patient who had GERD, went on Nexium and Zantac for a year, felt very well, and slowly weaned off...she still takes a nexium 1-2 a week. I think that this eating thing is like that in that if you can heal your esophagus, you may be able to go back to eating what you want, in moderation of course. People with allergies are sometimes like this--if they eliminate the allergic food for a while,then they can start back at having a little bit at a time without a problem.

I went to a naturopath two years ago...learned a lot.....there are products you can buy that help when you have a meal that you KNOW is going to aggravate you (seems like you are getting a list going!!!)--you can take this to be proactive and alleviate symptoms. I take DGL Licorice before a meal that I know may irritate me. I also have a powder that is very alkaline (just calcium and mineral salts essentially) that I mix with water and take before my meals that may be bad for me. It's the same as trying to balance the irritating foods with the non-irritating foods! Eat your chicken pot pie but have a good helping of raw or lightly cooked veggies (esp things like broccoli, cauliflower, squash, turnip, etc) along WITH IT!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:40 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

This all makes alot of sense. Tonight I had an apple with dinner. And I also took 2 food enzymes before I ate the chicken and veggies and roll. I actually think I feel kind of ok. Better than last night. It's just gonna take some experimenting around. But it gives me hope!

Old 01-14-2009, 09:05 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am getting so fed up with this. Everyday is different. How long to I have to try and eat so perfect without having any fun food? I had just a little cavatelli and I am just uncomfortable in the sternum area. That is always where my burning is. I try not to dwell on it but I get weary. I can't help it.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:17 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

I had my gallbladder taken out and I am having all the problems your having - I can't eat anything - my stomach will get sour.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:37 PM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

TEdds83,
Of the things you have eaten lately, the dairy and bananas are on my list of things I need to avoid. Wine is the thing that is worst for me. Last time I had some it gave me wicked heartburn for days. That was really bad because I typically had "silent" reflux with a chronic cough instead of the heartburn. I haven't tried it since October, but the hard liquor doesn't have the same effect as the wine.

Closed Thread