It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 08:44 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

kevinla HB Userkevinla HB User
What is the chance of Barrett's Esophagus developing from LPR?

Has anyone read what the percent chance is of developing BE from LPR?

Do I REALLY need to have an endoscopy done every 2 years?

I am one of those people that is nervous about having any medical procedure.
I would rather not have to pay whatever deductible my insurance requires either.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: What is the chance of Barrett's Esophagus developing from LPR?

The most recent number I've seen from the Mayo Clinic is that 5% of people with acid reflux develop Barrett's Esophagus

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2008, 12:12 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcsmithjr View Post
The most recent number I've seen from the Mayo Clinic is that 5% of people with acid reflux develop Barrett's Esophagus
Thanks for the information.

However, I was referring to LPR. According to this article, people with LPR are at higher risk than people with acid reflux. There is a subtle difference between the two.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

With LPR, getting a check up from ENT spec is more important since most people with this type of reflux don't have stomach issues. The thing to look for is throat cancer. If you are very hoarse a lot then you should see ENT spec. I have to get one every time I get sick so I've had plenty.

CharBerry

Old 10-09-2008, 04:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

There haven't been any definitive studies that quantify the prevalence of Barrett's esophagus in patients diagnosed with LPR vs. those diagnosed with GERD because LPR and GERD represent a subtle range of symptoms that aren't exclusive, and the diagnostic tools for identifying Barrett's esophagus aren't always consistent.

One 2006 study found that an endoscopic exam suspected Barrett's in 10% of the patients in the study but when the tissue was biopsied only 3% had positive biopsies.

There's a study underway right now in Portland, Oregon that will attempt to better understand the prevalence of Barrett's esophagus in patients with LPR vs. those with GERD, but the results won't be available for several years.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:14 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcsmithjr View Post
There haven't been any definitive studies that quantify the prevalence of Barrett's esophagus in patients diagnosed with LPR vs. those diagnosed with GERD because LPR and GERD represent a subtle range of symptoms that aren't exclusive, and the diagnostic tools for identifying Barrett's esophagus aren't always consistent.

One 2006 study found that an endoscopic exam suspected Barrett's in 10% of the patients in the study but when the tissue was biopsied only 3% had positive biopsies.

There's a study underway right now in Portland, Oregon that will attempt to better understand the prevalence of Barrett's esophagus in patients with LPR vs. those with GERD, but the results won't be available for several years.
Good article. It says that LPR people are more at risk than people with GERD. But it does imply smokers are more at risk..

[url]http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1356293[/url]

Last edited by kevinla; 10-09-2008 at 08:37 PM.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:44 PM   #7
(female)

beachcomber3 HB User

People who use Aleve and similar OTC drugs, on a regular basis, are far more likely to contract Barrett's Esophagus. While that little pill can make pain much less, it also unsuspectingly sets people for a potential life of agony. Check with you doctor. Then , ask why nothing is being done about this, why aren't people been informed of the harm Aleve can do and has done to tens of thousands of people, if not more.

Closed Thread