It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
(female)

cowgirl HB User
Does LPR Cause a Red Throat?

My husband might have LPR but I wondered...when you look in your mouth with a mirror...is your soft and hard palate red? Can you see redness anywhere in there?

My husband is dismissing that it's LPR because he thinks the throat up high like that wouldn't be red. What is your experience?

Thank you in advance!

Old 10-20-2008, 04:59 PM   #2
(male)

davegbrandon HB User
Re: Does LPR Cause a Red Throat?

tameka..my throat up high is no only red, it is very, very sore from clearing my throat. i thought that the soreness was so far high that it had to be some kind of infection, sinus drip, etc. I even ent on three seperate treatments of anti-biotics thinking it was from an infection. After many months, i finally got diagosed with lpr and i am taking nexium 2xdaily and zantac at night. I am slowly getting better, but still a little sore from clearing. i also have a thread at "lpr - very sore throat".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2008, 05:32 PM   #3
(male)

davegbrandon HB User

tameka..i saw another thread about your husband and possible LPR. it seems that the other signs of lpr vs gerd is that the throat clearing occurs usually (not always) in the daytime, when one is upright, and not as much at night. and that as the day wears on the soreness, especially around the larynx gets very sore. Also, many people with LPR do not have heartburn, upset stomachs, etc. just a few things to consider when trying to diagnose what one may have.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
(female)

cowgirl HB User

Thank you Dave. One thing that has us confused is he has then sensation in his throat that's driving him nuts. Does it create a crazy sensation for you? He said it feels like it's crawling/tickling around his voice box. Or it feels like something it sitting on a "trigger" that's causing chest and back pain. He said it's a miserable miserable feeling...and his minute by minute suffering is really getting to him. He hasn't worked in 7 months because of this (we own our own business).

He has stopped going out, doesn't ride in a car because if it flares up he has to lay a certain way to manage the mucous, has become very depressed, he can't eat due to the soreness. The soreness gets worse with eating and often eating causes a flare up...so he then becomes afraid to eat.

It's created a whole slew of problems. His anxiety is very high around it too.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:54 PM   #5
(male)

davegbrandon HB User

tameka. So..has you husband been to the doctor, been run through the various tests and diagnosed with LPR? Is he on a PPI and it is not working? The symptoms of the tickle, constant irritation is the same as mine, but I do not have heartburn or problems eating, etc. so did the doctor say it was mucus or the acid reflux? i also had a sinus scan just to be sure when i was going through the tests, but those problems were ruled out once i had the barium swallow test and the endoscopy. good luck.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:00 PM   #6
(male)

davegbrandon HB User

tameka. one other thing. I have had this throat clearing for over 6 years and thought it was mucus, dripping, etc and just thought it would go away. someone mentioned to me about reflux and I said, "no way", i dont have any heartburn, etc. I finally went to the doctor, ENT, because it got so bad and my throat was so sore and voice was hoarse all of the time and started the tests (barium swallow, endoscopy, sinus ct scan) and researching on the internet about GERD and then LPR. It might be worth it to have an endoscopy (piece of cake).... "if" it is acid relfux, gerd or lpr, you do not want to let it go ... it can ruin your esophagus and throat tissue over time.
Hope this helps.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:07 PM   #7
(female)

cowgirl HB User

He's had a CT Scan, showed a chronic sinus infection, which we expected to see due to the level of post nasal drip he has. He's been through 3 weeks of Augmentin, 2 weeks of Prednisone, another CT Scan..no change.

Then was put on 3 more weeks of another antibiotic called Cipro along with 2 more weeks of Prednisone. Still no results for the sinuses. Post nasal has slowed but throat is no better at ALL.

My husband believes his throat condition is NOT coming from the post nasal drip.

Long story short 7 months ago he rawed his throat out with Mag Citrate. Ever since then he's had the exact symptoms of LPR. My husband also doesn't feel his condition is LPR either. He feels it's a stress/malnutrition issue is what's causing it not to heal.

Anyway, we've been to SEVERAL ENT's, Wake Forest University, Johns Hopkins Hospital etc...and no one has ever even mentioned LPR nor diagnosed him.

They've wanted to do the PH test but my husband doesn't want to have it done. He says it would be a waste of time because it's only a snap shot in time. One day your acid may be high and others it may be low. I'm not sure i agree that it would be a waste of time but for now, he doesn't want to do it.

He's on a PPI and Pepcid (per my persuasion) but is going off of them for now because he can't tolerate them...the PPI specifically...it causes his gall bladder to flare.

<sigh> Who knows. I guess we'll see.

He said the Prednisone made the symptoms worse.

So for now, he's going off all supplements except Zinc (helps healing). And is hoping it will heal. For now, he can't eat, he can't honestly focus on work or anything...it's gotten really bad.

Enough of my sob story.

BTW, have you heard that some LPR sufferers don't have acid? They suffer from Pepsin.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:34 PM   #8
(female)

Jkbrons HB User

Gosh, I have the same symptoms - clearing the throat all the time. No mucus. Raspy voice. Raw throat. They say it is post nasal drip. No it isn't!!! I have had the egd. All clear. Now what?????

Closed Thread