It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2008, 10:07 AM   #1
(female)

star42 HB User
Is this GERD?

I've always had problems with constipation. Some months ago, I changed my diet (started eating veggies, grilled chicken, salads, etc) and I started having a lot of gas. I was belching like crazy and had this dull pain near my heart and my doc said I may have a small hiatal hernia. He said I could have an endoscopy to confirm but I passed. About a week later, all of the gas subsided and the dull pain next to my heart was gone.

Fast forwarding to two weeks ago, I ate some very hot, spicy food. Two days later, I had this burning sensation in my throat and chest. I also had shortness of breathe. I went to the doc and they said it was acid reflux. They gave me Prilosec to take for 14 days. On day 2, all of the burning and sore throat feeling went away. I was back to "normal" but still took the Prilosec. By day 4, I had this terrible "lump in the throat" feeling along with tightness. I stopped taking the Prilosec and 2 days later the lump in the throat feeling went away. I was told that I probably had a bad reaction to the Prilosec.

Now, I've had other health issues recently (muscle spasms after taking prednisone) but I noticed the past 2 days a dull ache in the right side of my chest that comes and goes ,sensitivity to air when taking a deep breathe and I feel a bit of soreness in my throat when I breathe through my mouth but not when I swallow if that makes any sense. Does this sound like GERD?

I have anxiety issues at the moment and been thinking about having an endoscopy done to ease my mind but hate to go through what I feel is a scary procedure for nothing. I'm worried about having esophageal cancer as I heard if you have GERD and it's left untreated, it can lead to that.

Does anyone know of any simple tests that can rule out esophageal cancer? I'm worried that acid may have burnt my throat. Also, I noticed that my voice is sounding slightly hoarse at times during the day for the past 2 days and I can feel some pressure in my chest when talking.

I had a test for my heart yesterday which came back normal. I had blood tests which came back normal. I have been taking a bunch of medicine over the last 1.5 weeks (Prilosec for days, prednisone for 2 days, took two 400mg tables of motrin, 2 Aleve, and now on my 3rd day of Flexeril) so I don't know if that has something to do with it.

I'm hoping it's something temporary due to all of the medication and poor diet as I haven't been eating much at all. Hoping I don't have a big hiatal hernia that requires surgery or some form of cancer. By the way ,I don't smoke, drink, and although I have multiple things going on right now, my doc considers me to be healthy but my anxiety is through the roof.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
(female)

Kassie29 HB User
Re: Is this GERD?

I believe an endoscopy is the only definitive test to rule out esophageal cancer because the doctor needs to look down there and see if there is damage and take a biopsy before determining if there have been any cell changes. I had a lot of the typical symptoms of both GERD and LPR, and had the endoscopy with biopsy done. I was really relieved that it came back normal. It is doubtful that you would have cancer if you've only been experiencing problems for a short time. It generally takes years for untreated GERD to cause cellular changes. But get the endoscopy to be sure. It's a painless procedure and will put your mind at rest.
Kassie

Old 11-07-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
(female)

star42 HB User

Thanks for the reply Kassie. You mentioned that the endoscopy is painless. Did you opt for being put to sleep during the procedure? Any complications or health issues after having it done?

Old 11-07-2008, 02:48 PM   #4
(female)

Kassie29 HB User

I've actually had it done twice now. The first time I was put right to sleep, and the second time I was given a sedative. Both times were fine, but if I was able to choose I would opt for being put out. I had no complications after either procedure, not even a sore throat. The wanting to know far outweighed the fear for me. My Dad actually passed away from esophageal cancer, and it is not a cancer that you want to have diagnosed at a late stage. Endoscopy is the way to know, just like colonoscopy is the way to know for colon cancer.
Good luck!
Kassie

Closed Thread