It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2008, 01:36 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

CandP HB User
Tongue symptoms?

Just curious to know, do acid reflux, lpr sypmtoms show on the tongue? I have read that in the ancient times, those who knew about medicine often judged a sickness by the color of the tongue. Anyone know what, if any, are indications of ac/r or lpr symptoms on the tongue?

Old 11-16-2008, 10:23 PM   #2
(female)

nessie01 HB User
Re: Tongue symptoms?

white coating in the morning at back of tounge or all over, burning tounge feeling
may have fine cracks or raised sensitive taste buds
ness

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
(female)

karate_mom HB User

My doctor told me most infections show up on tongue. I had a virus, and it comes out on the tongue in red patches. Sometimes in the same spot. I have some burning on my tongue occasionally but mostly burning in throat. I have allergies too. My doc just says I have dyspepsia. (I felt acid in my throat a couple of weeks ago and he put me on Pepcid 40mg. for 6 weeks. ) It helps with the burn but I am still scared something worse is wrong. I have panic disorder and also I am a hypochondriac. I need to relax and appreciate each day I have, and learn to just chill out!

Old 11-26-2008, 01:35 AM   #4
(female)

Kellir HB User

Do you have taste buds on the side of your tongue? I had this annoying feeling in my mouth like there was something on my tongue so i shined a flashlight to see if there was something there and theres little bumps on the side, its extremely annoying and Im pretty freaked out about it, god, another thing to add to the list. Does it ever end? Anyone else have/had this???

Old 11-30-2008, 07:43 PM   #5
(female)

Daun2008 HB User

I have been tested for everything from Schleraderma to Eosophillic Esophagitis and Croan's - all negative. They still don't know what my problem is. I have had endoscopes, biopsies of the esophagus, small intestine, manometry study, been to gastrologists, ENT's. I've been diagnosed with GERD, hiatal hernia, inflammation of the esophagus, infected tonsils. I haven't been able to eat any solid food for 2 1/2 months - ensure and chicken broth and milkshakes. I swear it's my tongue. Everytime I try to eat the food doesn't get past the back of the tongue - it sticks to the base of my tongue and in my throat and sometimes the feeling last the entire day. I am on Zigerid 2x's a day, a double dose of Zantac at bedtime and Reglan 4x's a day. I feel better than before when they had me on Prevacid solutabs and Carafate and liquid Lidocaine - I always felt awful, my troat was sore all the time and dry as can be. I still can't eat anything. I go back in next week to have a balloon diation of my esophagus - I hope it helps. I really believe it is a combination of an allergic reaction to something and the GERD - but I always have large bumps on the back of my tongue.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:46 AM   #6
(female)

creampuff91344 HB User

For those of you experiencing problems with your tongue, please have your doctor check you for tardive dyskinesia. I saw one mention of Reglan, and this has now been black labeled by the FDA linking long term use of this drug to the disease. It affects primarily the tongue, jaw, and muscle stiffness in the neck. There are several law firms who have filed class action suits agains the drug manufacturer, but in the meantime, we all need to be vigilant about what we take, and how long. I took Reglan for about three months for nausea during chemo for breast cancer. Three weeks into taking the drug I started having what I thought were teeth problems...my tongue was constantly moving and rubbing against my teeth on the left side of my mouth. Over the next couple of months I finally realized it wasn't the teeth, it was my tongue that was moving constrantly, and always was irritated. The Reglan causes this disease, and it can be very dibilitating. Please check with your doctor, or even see a neurologist. It is easily diagnosed. Good luck.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:57 PM   #7
(female)

springtimespiri HB User

I've had tongue prolems for three years. Sometimes it is so painful I put ice on it to freeze the pain away. I've gone to many doctors. Been checked for yeast (special lab tests) and my tongue looks like a razor blade escraped it all up. Very raw, open slits, and painful. It calms down at times that even taking an ambien to sleep will start it up. Not sure of the corrolations there? I was told to take Vit A & B to help. I've been in ER because my tongue was swollen and I couldn't get enough air in/out. Scary. Sorry if I'm typing half a hazzard, I just took an Ambien so I can if so kids up nerve pain associated with Fibromyalgia. Trading one pain for another. Give you a feeling of non trust. Thanks for shareing here. I will try to share when I'm not ready for bed. and half looped already from Embian,. Pleae explain the intensity of your pain.in your to
ngue.I would liek to be tested as well. will finsih when more restedl

Old 04-05-2009, 07:58 AM   #8
(female)

creampuff91344 HB User

I saw a neurologist two weeks ago, and have been diagnosed with tardive dyskinesia. Fortunately, the symptoms of the disease are barely noticeable to the naked eye, but internally they are driving me crazy. The neurologist prescribed a muscle relaxer (which made me burn in every muscle in my body), and an anti-anxiety med (which affected me just the opposite....felt like I was going to crawl out of my body). Have stopped the meds, and am trying to cope with the symptoms. I do take Ativan, which seems to calm me down, but only take this when I am pacing the floor and wringing my hands. My tongue is constantly moving inside my mouth, rubs against the roof of my mouth and my teeth, and keeps the tongue irritated all of the time. In the morning when I wake up my mouth is very dry, and sometimes the tongue is stuck to the roof of my mouth. If you have ever taken Reglan, please have your doctor check you for tardive dyskinesia. It is especially bad for older females to take this drug, and the percentages of developing this disease are high in this age group/gender group. Please let me know if you visita doctor. Hope your symptoms lessen. Swelling of the tongue is common with this disease, and in really bad cases the involuntary movement affects the extremities (fingers and toes). Check out the websites on tardive dyskinesia, and see if this might be causing your problems. Good luck.

Judy

Closed Thread