It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
(female)

eastcoastchick HB User
Unhappy Uncontrollable heartburn & vomiting 2 hours after eating...Dr gave me Nexium??

Hi everyone... my first post!

This has been a very intermittent problem for me, it usually happens once every couple months or so, but in the past week it has happen 4 times and it's starting to scare me Here's what happens:

About 2 hours after I eat a big meal, doesn't seem to matter what it is, healthy or otherwise I get very bad heartburn, tightness in my chest, bad pains, I get dizzy, nauseated, clammy, chills and get very light headed... I stumble to the bathroom and I'm over the toilet vomiting for the next 20 - 30 minutes, sometimes all of those symptoms will stay until my stomach is completely empty and then they immediately go away, instantly, after emptying my stomach... it's very strange and it's freaking me out!

I could vomit like 8 times in a row and after each time the pain and all the symptoms will stay until the 9th magical time, then all symptoms instantly go away.

It's so painful it puts me into tears every time. It either happens after lunch or supper, but never twice a day, only once. Then afterwards I cough uncontrollably, probably because of the stomach acid in my throat.

Today I went to see a doctor at a walk-in clinic and he prescribed me Nexium... but does that sound like heartburn or acid reflux? I don't generally get heartburn at all, I only get it when this happens to me! I'm just not sure that Nexium is the right thing for me... any help appreciated, this is a little scary and I'm pretty ignorant on the subject, although I've been reading up on it for the past few days.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2008, 03:26 PM   #2
(male)

Rod219 HB User
Re: Uncontrollable heartburn & vomiting 2 hours after eating...Dr gave me Nexium??

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastchick View Post
does that sound like heartburn or acid reflux?
Acid reflux is what causes heartburn. Just about everyone gets it now and then. If it becomes severe, Nexium or a similar drug is prescribed.

You say you get it after eating a big meal. If your schedule allows, experiment by eating smaller meals more often, say 5 times a day instead of eating larger meals the customary 3. Lifestyle changes are usually the first recommended approach to manage acid reflux.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: Uncontrollable heartburn & vomiting 2 hours after eating...Dr gave me Nexium??

Sorry to hear it would freak me out too. I eat lots of small meals. I notice when I eat alot at once I get Nauseous. I hope the nexium helps you

Last edited by taape; 11-18-2008 at 08:48 PM.

Closed Thread