It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
(male)

gent1 HB User
throat/mucous issue

I have had some on/off noticeable acid reflux for the past year or so. I took prilosec prescribed by my GP for a time which seemed to help. Lately I've had a couple flare ups of reflux, and started on my prilosec again here 4 days ago.

A new symptom I've had is the feeling of a tickle in my throat and occasional sore throat. It also feels as though I have mucous or phlegm in my throat. I went to see the GP again, who thought reflux may be the issue, compounded by the dry humidity. He said my lungs sounded clear and recommended getting back on my prilosec routine, which I just recently have. He said I can have reflux going on w/o actually feeling the burning sensation.

I feel as if I have to clear my throat, and nothing really comes up. I have the sensation that phlegm is in my throat. Funny thing is that its not as noticeable when I'm sleeping. Overall my health is good and I excercise regularily.

Has anyone similar issues and is this an acid reflux symptom? How long should I give the prilosec a chance to work?

Old 11-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: throat/mucous issue

The tickle in your throat, mucus and sore throat can all be symptoms of reflux. It can take a couple of weeks for Prilosec to have its full effect (although many people notice an improvement within 5-10 days).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2008, 07:54 AM   #3
(male)

gent1 HB User

Its been over a month since I started hitting 20 mg of Prilosec every morning. I still have the daily sensations that I have to clear my throat. In the mornings, I will have some phlegm down my throat that I clear out, along with a congested nose/sinus. Sometimes the phlegm will be streaked with a bit of blood. At times when blowing my nose I will get a small streak of blood in the snot/mucous I blow out. I've had that for years. Now it seems I may have a sinus issue or nasal drip down my throat?

I am not coughing up blood or anything along that line. I am just tired of the same symptoms annoying me. The back of my throat seems to be buring a little more lately...but my diet has went down the tubes during the holidays as wel. I should go see the Dr again, but I am tiring of that.

Last edited by gent1; 12-27-2008 at 07:55 AM.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Hello gent1. I am right there with you. This morning I woke up again with mucus in my throat. All morning I am going eh hem....to try and clear it. I make hot water to try and thin it out. I am so sick of this. I am on my 5th day of Prilosec. I have taken it before last summer for 6 weeks and it worked. I am tired of dealing with this. I have made an appt. for an endoscopy in Jan.
I do think that foods trigger this. I was kind of ok until Thanksgiving on...I ate anything I wanted. I the sweets, chocolate, cafe mocha's...spicey you name it! This did not help matters with the stress I am under. I should have known this was coming. Now for a few days I have eaten very bland and water only. I am just kind of holding my own. I still have the mucus.
The only plus side is I have dropped a few pounds. I haven't weighed this low since about 3 years ago. I am excited about eating right so I can and will lose the 25 pounds I need to.

But as far as the mucus, the only this I know that cause that are sinus infections, colds and acid reflux. Just watch your diet and take a reflux med. Keep us posted. Good luck!

Oh and I am congested too. Most of the time.

Last edited by TEdds83; 12-27-2008 at 08:46 AM.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:02 PM   #5
(female)

Chantal231 HB User

Hi,

I too suffer from the mucus. Mine comes from my sinuses and drains down my throat.

The only relief I've found for it is a prescription nasal steroid spray called fluticasone and OTC Afrin. I don't need much Afrin when using the fluticasone.

I too am scheduled for an endoscopy and colonoscopy in Jan and I'm terrified. The last endoscopy I had I was fully awake and thought I was going to die while the jerk of a Dr rammed that scope up and down my throat. I've never had a colonoscopy. I'm seeing a different Dr and he assures me I won't feel a thing. I also have a redundant colon but he is being reassuring about being able to do that too.

Any words of comfort? I suffer panic and anxiety too so I'm really scared.

By the way I'm also taking Prilosec.

Chantal

Old 12-27-2008, 12:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Chantal, do you have any more suggestion for the mucus problem. I just did a netipot sinus rinse. And I will do my nasal spray too. I can't tell if it is a sinus infection still lingering or if it is coming from acid reflux moving up. Maybe there is an ulcer in there and I can't feel it and the only symptom I have is this silent reflux mucus. I get panicky feelings like what if it blocks off my breathing. Then I also panic at the thought of the endoscopy because I don't want to feel it or gag. It's my first time for that coming up in Jan. Help!

Last edited by TEdds83; 12-27-2008 at 12:15 PM.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:52 PM   #7
(female)

Chantal231 HB User

Hi again,

No, no other suggestions for the mucus.

As for the endoscope I need someone to "talk me down" too as I had such a bad experience the first time.

God help both of us.

Chantal

PS I'm having the colonoscopy too. YIKES!

Old 12-28-2008, 06:25 AM   #8
(male)

gent1 HB User

Chantal,

I've had a colonoscopy this past summer. It was no big deal in my opinion. You feel nothing during the procedure.

Is your Dr recommending a colonoscopy due to your reflux issues?

Old 01-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #9
(male)

coltelli HB User

Coltelli here. I also have the esophageal mucous. I have a Heller myotomy w/ fund. sched. for Jan. 22. '09. I think the mucous is from 1) starts off w/ malfunctioning lower esoph. sphincter. 2) food fills my esoph.( and not too much either, I'm careful not to stretch the esoph. out of shape - if I fill it too full it can cause heart palpitations also - hate those- anyway, my meal is in my esoph. for 30 to 35 min. before my L.E.S. relaxes and food starts to pass through. A lot of "food debris" is stuck in a mucous lining inside my esoph. 3) This mucous "sac", I call it that cause thats' what it looks like in the toilet, seems to start right at the juncture of the glottis, etc.. It WILL NOT go down under any circumstances. I've never broken one loose. It can't be swallowed. It will only come up - but Lordy, what a relief. I mean, it's not throwing up! Its' merely emptying the esophagus. It feels good to have it out of there. And, it was formed by the esoph. to protect itself because the esoph. wasn't designed to have food in it for prolonged periods. Is this true for you?

Old 01-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #10
(male)

gent1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltelli View Post
Coltelli here. I also have the esophageal mucous. I have a Heller myotomy w/ fund. sched. for Jan. 22. '09. I think the mucous is from 1) starts off w/ malfunctioning lower esoph. sphincter. 2) food fills my esoph.( and not too much either, I'm careful not to stretch the esoph. out of shape - if I fill it too full it can cause heart palpitations also - hate those- anyway, my meal is in my esoph. for 30 to 35 min. before my L.E.S. relaxes and food starts to pass through. A lot of "food debris" is stuck in a mucous lining inside my esoph. 3) This mucous "sac", I call it that cause thats' what it looks like in the toilet, seems to start right at the juncture of the glottis, etc.. It WILL NOT go down under any circumstances. I've never broken one loose. It can't be swallowed. It will only come up - but Lordy, what a relief. I mean, it's not throwing up! Its' merely emptying the esophagus. It feels good to have it out of there. And, it was formed by the esoph. to protect itself because the esoph. wasn't designed to have food in it for prolonged periods. Is this true for you?
What I have sounds somewhat similar. But I've never seen a mucous sac spit out. It's usually some phleagm that I spit out (and not that much). Mostly its just the feeling of having mucous or a frog in my throat. Attempting to clear my throat throughout the day is the norm for me. I don't have a cough per say. I'm not sure if the mucous is coming up from the esophogus or dripping down from the nasal cavity. I need to make another apt with my Dr, as they symptoms are about the same the past two weeks.

Also, this rarely if ever bothers me at night when sleeping. Its only when I'm up and active that the symptoms annoy me! Anyone else experience this??

Last edited by gent1; 01-06-2009 at 04:31 PM.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi there again! I am back with more mucus. I was kind of doing ok not having it be out of control but I am wondering if it is something I ate. Can anyone tell me if peanut butter is on the do or do not list of things to eat?? Help please! Also I chewed on a cinnamon toothpick. Could that make it flare up? Every little thing can just create a havoc.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #12
(female)

DMBF HB User

I have a chart here of foods that are ACID forming and ALKALINE forming and peanubutter is, supposedly, HIGHLY ACIDIC inside the body.

Remember, you are probably very sensitive right now due to the inflammation; once you get a better med, you will likely be able to eat more of this stuff, or in smaller amounts. You should keep track of what you "think" irritates you--everyone is different and I found doing that for a few weeks did show me some definite trends!

Old 01-07-2009, 04:25 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Whooa! Thank you so much for telling me about peanut butter. I REALLY blew it today then. I was doing ok up until lunch. I had a nice fully load PB sandwich and not long after MUCUS and a little burning. But my throat honestly feel like the sides are touching inside there.

I pulled up a food list of the net but the food list is so short and small and nearly covers all the foods out there. I had NO idea about PB. I should have asked. Here I go again with another rough night. Ugh!

I did get a wedge pillow that came in the mail today. Maybe that will help a bit.

Thanks so much for letting me know!

Closed Thread