It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2008, 01:09 PM   #1
(male)

rick58 HB User
Unhappy Meat Stuck in Throat

I have a problem, I have had to go to the hospital and have meat removed from my throat twice over the last 10 years. It happened again last night and I have a small piece of meat caught in my throat so now I am having the same problems where no food or liquid can pass through. Anything I drink now gives me the hiccups and then it all is regurgitated in a relatively short period. My challenge now is that I am uninsured and can't afford the procedure at the hospital to have it removed. Does anyone know of something that I can take that might help me pass this meat? Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:00 AM   #2
(female)

Kassie29 HB User
Re: Meat Stuck in Throat

Gosh, I hope you received help yesterday. If it ever happens again, take a few gulps of Diet Coke. It should clear the blockage right up. It has to be Diet Coke though, not another diet soft drink.
Kassie

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kassie29 For This Useful Post:
Duradel (08-18-2011), wespetty (05-10-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2009, 06:57 AM   #3
(male)

ricks48 HB User

Thank you kassie. I have had this problem a few times over the years, and like rick58 I am in the same boat, no insurance. So I went home and hoped a nights sleep would work it down, to no avail. Then I was thinking I needed something to eat away at it or break it up, and I remember hearing guys say they use Coke to take rust off of car fenders! So I told my wife to pick up some Coke, in the mean time I read your reply called my wife on cell phone and told make it Diet Coke!! I sipped at it slowly all day and by supper I was able to swallow and eat, thank the Lord!

Old 04-09-2009, 01:39 PM   #4
(male)

rick58 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricks48 View Post
Thank you kassie. I have had this problem a few times over the years, and like rick58 I am in the same boat, no insurance. So I went home and hoped a nights sleep would work it down, to no avail. Then I was thinking I needed something to eat away at it or break it up, and I remember hearing guys say they use Coke to take rust off of car fenders! So I told my wife to pick up some Coke, in the mean time I read your reply called my wife on cell phone and told make it Diet Coke!! I sipped at it slowly all day and by supper I was able to swallow and eat, thank the Lord!
Hi, this is Rick58. The last time I had meat stuck in my thoat, my wife gave me some liquid Kava and it worked very quickly. The Kava numbed and relaxed my throat. I would recommend trying the liquid Kava if anyone else has this problem.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:31 AM   #5
(male)

rogb HB User

Thanks for posting this. A big gulp of diet coke sure did work for me.

I had a piece of meat stuck in my throat - could breath, but not swallow anything. I tried taking a few swallows, but it just foamed up and I spit it up. Then I re-read the post, and it said a few gulps. So tired gulping, had to strain a bit to hold it down as it foamed in my throat, but sure enough I could feel it pressure up, and the piece of meat start to move. What a relief.

Next time the phone rings when I am eating, I will not rush to swallow and answer it.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:00 AM   #6
(female)

dragonfly57 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick58 View Post
I have a problem, I have had to go to the hospital and have meat removed from my throat twice over the last 10 years. It happened again last night and I have a small piece of meat caught in my throat so now I am having the same problems where no food or liquid can pass through. Anything I drink now gives me the hiccups and then it all is regurgitated in a relatively short period. My challenge now is that I am uninsured and can't afford the procedure at the hospital to have it removed. Does anyone know of something that I can take that might help me pass this meat? Any help would be sincerely appreciated.
That actually sounds a lot like esophilic esophagitis. One thing I do is carry Benadryl dissolve strips in my purse. When I have a problem like that, I pop the dissolve strip in my mouth and it takes care of the problem.

Disabled
A lot of diagnoses
Only by the grace of God do I keep on going

Old 04-29-2009, 10:34 AM   #7
(female)

MotherOfAPrincess HB User

I remember this happening to my ex yrs back...He was eating chicken at lunch break and got to laughing and that happened...He had to go to the hospital, be put to sleep and they went in and cut the chicken and slid it on down, because it was dangerous to pull it back up the esophagus, the reason that it happened was the muscles in his throat constricted and grab the meat, so it wouldn't let go til he completely relaxed, who could relax then?

My question is What does coke/diet coke do to push it down that any other drink wouldn't?

Old 04-30-2009, 03:58 AM   #8
(male)

ricks48 HB User

for myself, like I said I remember guys saying they could get the rust off of car bumpers with coke! I knew I needed something to "break-up or loosen jam" so to speak, so I tried that, Kassie suggested diet coke, I think the acid helps dissolve meat.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:04 AM   #9
(male)

rogb HB User

I don't know what exactly caused the diet coke to work, but to me, it felt like when you swallowed and it hit the blockage, it started to foam up, perhaps expanding the esophogas a bit, allowing the food to pass down. All I can say, is it worked and what a relief it was.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:07 AM   #10
(female)

Kassie29 HB User

I don't know why it works but I do know they even use the diet Coke method in hospitals. My Dad had a feeding tube inserted into his intestines and sometimes it would get clogged and the nurses at the hospital told me to use a syringe with diet Coke and shoot it into the feeding tube. It unclogged every time. I've met patients with esophageal cancer, they also advised that when food got stuck going down that diet Coke works. Many of them carried a small bottle with them everywhere they went since it can be a frequent occurence when your esophagus is already partially blocked or constricted from surgery.
Kassie

Old 04-30-2009, 09:06 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

Maybe that's why coke on ice helps my LPR? Supposed to be worst thing for it but for some reason it seems to "break things up" enough to cough something out at times. Especially when I have that feeling of stuck PND in one side. Drives me crazy!

CharBerry

Old 07-29-2009, 11:38 AM   #12
(female)

JulieJ63 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Meat Stuck in Throat

My 14 year old son has had meat stuck in his throat twice in the past two years. First time, we sat in the emergency waiting room, with a cup, for 2-3 hours and all of the sudden it just went down by itself. It happened again today, while he was eating a steak sandwich. He tried drinking, swallowing, etc. but nothing worked. We found this site that said to try Diet Coke. That sounded CRAZY! He had been drinking Coke and I thought, "What's the difference?" Anyhow, he tried the Diet Coke and it amazingly worked! I don't know if it was just a coincidence or not but we will definitely try Diet Coke, if this happens again. THANKS!!!!!

Old 11-01-2009, 04:34 PM   #13
(female)

BirdieG HB User

Hello! I was reading through some of these swallowing problems as I'm having a bit of trouble lately. However your symptoms sound exactly like what my husband had! He would always have to be very careful when chewing his food because sometimes it wouldn't want to go down. Like you, he got a piece of steak stuck in his throat. They removed it and told him and sent him on his way (because that was the military). After he got out of the service, the problem continued so he went to see a Gastroenterologist. He told him that a sphincter at the base of his esophagus was closing too tightly and would never loosen correctly.

It was overly tight for whatever reason, and would constrict even more-so when he ate, which kept the food from passing by. He had a procedure done where they snipped the edges of it to force it to loosen and this corrected the problem for about two years or so. His throat was obviously very, very sore afterward, but the problem was gone. Slowly it tightened again though and he had to have a repeat of the surgery. That time it wasn't as sore.
Perhapsthis will be something you can ask your gastro.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:42 AM   #14
(male)

Matt Supercar HB User

Hay I'm new here & I had food stuck in my throat many times but it's getting more serious. I swallowed a very chewy minced beef from a meat pie I had about 3 months ago & it's still sticking deep in my throat! I tried drinking a lot of boiled water & some hot tea. I went for a barium swallow X-Ray scan but they said the object was as small as a bolus or pill so they don't think there's anything serious with my throat & the GP agreed, he thinks it should slide down after a while. The problem is it's still in my throat & it's getting too long! I never had anything in my throat for that long before, I experienced a small fish bone in my throat before but even that went down in just a few weeks. It puts me off eating fish & now I think I don't want a meat pie anymore, especially beef lol! The longer the piece of mince stays, the more I panic. I will have to celebrate if my throat ever clears up again.

Last edited by Matt Supercar; 12-08-2010 at 03:42 AM.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:23 PM   #15
(male)

wespetty HB User

Diet Coke Works!!!!!
I just had a piece of chicken stuck in my throat for 2 hours. I was literally about 10 minutes away from going to the ER before I found this message board. I took one tiny sip of diet coke and the chicken went down in about a second.
I am completely amazed and relieved.
Thank you soooo much to whoever posted this first. I LOVE YOU!!

Closed Thread