It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2009, 04:11 PM   #31
(female)

*DottieGirl* HB User
Re: Some Possible Helps for Acid Reflux

Have you tried taking protonix? This a prescription drug more powerful than over the counter anti acids. I took this for over a year and it helped tremendously. I also put myself on an oatmeal diet and it is terrific for digestive disorders like this. I eat 2-3cups of oatmeal (plain oatmeal, not the flavored kind) a day. Probiotics works great too, but you have to take protonix too. Over-the-counters aren't always strong enough.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:13 PM   #32
(female)

*DottieGirl* HB User

Try taking protonix. This is a presciption drug more powerful than over the counters.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #33
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I am looking forward to meeting with the doctor of friday. I will ask her to prescribe this to me. Besides I want something that doesn't have the artifical sweetners in it like the OTC meds. That's what is making me worse.
Thanks for the advice!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:24 PM   #34
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I took Protonix for a couple years. It didn't help when the reflux got bad. Of course the PPI's work differently for everyone.

I really like the Prevacid best. Took care of things completely for a while and is not the "best of the worst" for me since nothing completely works. I like the Solutabs 30 mg twice a day. It contains aspartame though. The Prevacid delayed-release capsules don't list it as ingredient though. Might be another one to consider.

My advice: Stay away from Nexium. Some swear by it, but it made me sick, sick, sick.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:41 PM   #35
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Does anyone know of any med that DOES NOT contain artificial sweetners? I am desperate. I would be so grateful if anyone knew the answer to this. Thanks!

Old 01-10-2009, 02:02 PM   #36
(female)

apriljudy HB User

I have the same problem. Actually I've had the symptoms off and on for years. I just never had a name for it. In past years it was less frequent, so I didn't go to an MD for it.

The phlegm drives me nuts. I'm constantly trying to 'get it down' and swallow it, or to 'get it up' to expel it. I can't do either. I find that I get short of breath when I have the phlegm for any extended period of time. It seems to interfere with my trachea. It comes and goes, sometimes it lasts for several days, sometimes it only for a few hours at a time. I, too, am constantly clearing my throat. I've been taking Prilosec 2X a day for about 7 months. I really don't believe that Prilosec is helping to clear it. I do find that when I'm active, walking, or golfing, it seems to clear. Or, maybe I don't dwell on it. I also find that it is exasperated by nerves, or anxious feelings.
I just take it one day at a time. Judy

Old 01-10-2009, 09:21 PM   #37
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Judy! Ya I don't think that Prilosec works for everyone. Sometimes I really think the side effects are worse than what is actually going on. I just can't handle it. I have the mucus and I found it odd that the nurse at the Endoscopy place said she had never heard of mucus being a symptom of acid reflux. Isn't that crazy?

Old 01-10-2009, 10:52 PM   #38
(female)

hunjiman HB User

I have mentioned this before. Take one tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar in 8oz of water first thing in the morning, then the same dosage 30 minutes before your evening meal. ACV is a weak acid and it helps digest strong acids (processed food and meats) turning them into an alkaline ash. This helps your pH balance. It may seem too simple, but it has worked for several people in my family. Definitely worth a try, and better than taking prescription drugs.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:43 AM   #39
(female)

apriljudy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEdwards83 View Post
Hi Judy! Ya I don't think that Prilosec works for everyone. Sometimes I really think the side effects are worse than what is actually going on. I just can't handle it. I have the mucus and I found it odd that the nurse at the Endoscopy place said she had never heard of mucus being a symptom of acid reflux. Isn't that crazy?
Hi T,
That is, indeed, strange. I went to see an ENT because of a constant, annoying, post nasal drip. When I told the ENT that I had this annoying mucous, she immediately said, "You most likely have esophageal reflux." I had never heard of it. She told me that esophageal reflux is one of the most common complaints she sees in her office. Apparently, esophageal reflux is not always accompanied by a 'heartburn' burning sensation. She said that the body produces the mucous to protect the esophagus from the acid.

If they can cure the reflux, the mucous will go away. She also told me that sometimes it takes a while to try various pills to rid the acid. She said that diet is also key. I do find a relation to what I eat. And I think coffee is the worst offender...damn!
I think I'll try Nexium next.
Judy

Old 01-11-2009, 04:49 PM   #40
(male)

sdown63 HB User

I have acid reflux for at least 15 years I have taken all major drugs including PPI,but nothing helps,anything with sugar aggrevates it,Idont bring up major amounts of reflux but it is constantly in my mouth.
Recently I have taken a tablespoon of common apple cider before I eat and it seems to help,but I am still taking a PPI.
Question- when should I stop the PPI,how much apple cider should I be taken and when and for how long?
sdown63

Old 01-11-2009, 07:12 PM   #41
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am ready to try the apple cidar vinegar in water faithfully now. Even though I got scoped on Friday and the doctor found nothing. I still have the reflux. I have been so careful for 3 weeks now. Tonight it has flared up. I can just feel a warm, uncomfortable feeling in my sternum area. It isn't always constant. But that is where I feel it , when I feel it. The mucus isn't too bad today. Heck one day its mucus, the next it's some burning but not much mucus. This gets weary doesn't it??

Old 01-11-2009, 10:13 PM   #42
(male)

JakeV HB User

Hi,
I hope this reply is not too long winded for you, but to give you some background. I grew up with Bushmen (learned a lot from them on survival) and have some medical training and as a result started researching stuff and healing myself (not much loved by doctors). I once had acid reflux so bad that sometimes at night, acid would shoot up into my throat suffocating me. I started doing research and healed myself within 5 to 6 weeks. It may or may not work for everybody but here it is. Buy pure untreated, unheated honey from a health shop. If it is the absolute natural untampered with product and it will be opaque (not clear). Take 5ml (one teaspoon) three times a day before meals and minimize your intake of refined starches (white bread). As far as excess mucus is concerned have yourself tested for lactose intolerance. This is not thumb sucking because it worked for myself and some people I recommended it to. If it works for you, thank the wisdom of the ancient, now extinct Bushmen tribes.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:18 AM   #43
(female)

precious49 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeV View Post
Hi,
I hope this reply is not too long winded for you, but to give you some background. I grew up with Bushmen (learned a lot from them on survival) and have some medical training and as a result started researching stuff and healing myself (not much loved by doctors). I once had acid reflux so bad that sometimes at night, acid would shoot up into my throat suffocating me. I started doing research and healed myself within 5 to 6 weeks. It may or may not work for everybody but here it is. Buy pure untreated, unheated honey from a health shop. If it is the absolute natural untampered with product and it will be opaque (not clear). Take 5ml (one teaspoon) three times a day before meals and minimize your intake of refined starches (white bread). As far as excess mucus is concerned have yourself tested for lactose intolerance. This is not thumb sucking because it worked for myself and some people I recommended it to. If it works for you, thank the wisdom of the ancient, now extinct Bushmen tribes.
Hello JakeV,
You are a very interesting person and I believe in natural things to heal our bodies--God put everything here to help us--it's man that has messed it up. I always buy honey that way and you've reminded me of something my Mom use to do. She was into healthy ways of fixing things and most of them worked. I will try your honey thing. I remember a remedy that my grandparents told my Mom for bad coughs. Honey, lemon and whiskey--my Mom and Dad didn't drink but we always had that around. When my son was little--he loved it so much that he use to fake coughing so that he could have the homemade cough syrup I'm Lactose Intolerant since I was a baby. Hope you don't mind that I cut-in but "thank you" to you and the Bushmen tribes precious49 God Bless You and Yours Today and EveryDay

Old 01-12-2009, 09:05 PM   #44
(female)

binkyholder HB User

RED60....

Sorry to go off topic, but you made a post last year about pain between your shoulder blades. Did you ever find out if it was a back problem, or was it from acid reflux?

I have pain between the shoulder blades at least a couple times a month and am thinking it is not acid related b/c I find relief from chiropractic and massage.

Thanks!
Deb

Old 01-12-2009, 11:04 PM   #45
(male)

JakeV HB User

Hi Precious49,
Thanks for the input. You can even try honey, lemon and garlic for chesty coughs that won't go away. Helped me many times when I was a child. God bless.
JakeV

Closed Thread