It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2009, 07:46 PM   #61
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Some Possible Helps for Acid Reflux

With the chronic cough that I developed, I constantly had chest and stomach muscles that were sore. I figured one of the only good things about all the coughing was that I got a good ab workout.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:09 PM   #62
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkyholder View Post
RED60....

Sorry to go off topic, but you made a post last year about pain between your shoulder blades. Did you ever find out if it was a back problem, or was it from acid reflux?

I have pain between the shoulder blades at least a couple times a month and am thinking it is not acid related b/c I find relief from chiropractic and massage.

Thanks!
Deb
I believe my pain is caused from forward head posture and a mildly winged scapula. After having constant upper back pain for a few months I received some physical therapy and it helped a great deal. Ultrasound Therapy and manual massage both provided me with temporary relief and made it possible to begin longer lasting rehab. Since receiving the PT I'm much better but every now and then I do something that flares it up again. It normally takes a week or two to get back to normal.

it's pretty easy to tell if you have FHP and the PT is straight forward. Basically you have to work on your posture, stretch the chest muscles and strengthen the muscles of the upper back. Don't make the mistake that I did and stretch your back when you have pain in the back. I learned that the pain is from the back being over stretched so more stretching although it seem like the thing to do is not a good idea. If you have access to a physical therapist they can evaluate your symptoms and posture and teach you how to correct your posture. If you don't have access to a PT then there is a lot of good self help info on FHP available on the net.

Good luck and if you have any other question let me know.................Red

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2009, 08:26 PM   #63
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Thanks to you both for responding. I think some of my chest tenderness is from the massages I have been giving my clients lately. I am a licensed massage therapist. My neck gets real sore and well as my back, arms and chest muscles from giving massages. But I really think some of it gets sore when I have the burning going on on my sternum area. ugh! It just gets sore. I need to schedule more massages for me as well as watch my posture.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:25 AM   #64
(female)

hunjiman HB User

Acid reflux or heartburn occurs when strong stomach acid leaks back up into the esophagus. The esophagus is the tube which carries food from your mouth to your stomach. When you swallow, a circular band of muscle around the bottom part of the esophagus relaxes to allow food and liquid to enter into your stomach.

Normally this muscle valve, called the lower esophageal sphincter (LES), is closed and keeps the digestive acid and food inside the stomach where it belongs.

However if the LES valve opens when it shouldn't, hydrochloric acid from the stomach can reflux back and touch the lining of the esophagus.

This can cause a burning sensation in the chest or throat known as acid reflux or heartburn.

Most people experience the occasional episode of heartburn and although unpleasant, it is generally nothing to worry about. Frequent or constant heartburn however can be a serious problem and is the most common symptom of gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD).

Ref: Mayo Clinic Staff, Oct 18, 2005.

Acetic acid in vinegar lowers stomach acidity (increases its pH) since acetic acid is a weaker acid than hydrochloric acid, and creates an alkaline “ash”. ACV in itself is alkaline because of its "ash" content, which means if the ACV was burned, what is left over becomes ash. When you check for the pH of that ash and dissolve it with water, the content is alkaline. Whenever our body digests anything, it undergoes oxidation, which is similar to burning and the end result is that you can determine whether the end product was alkaline or acid.
Vinegar (acetic acid along with its acetate salt) may help buffer and maintain stomach acid at a pH level of about 3.0. In this milder acidic environment, the stomach can still efficiently digest food but it causes fewer problems with the esophagus and thus less heartburn.

Improved digestion and mineral absorption from regular intake of the apple cider vinegar tonic may also play a role in reducing acid reflux.
So if you are concerned about possible side effects with prescription drugs or even over-the-counter medications, try combining some of the dietary and lifestyle changes mentioned above along with a tonic of apple cider vinegar before meals as an all natural way to alleviate occasional heartburn symptoms or as a preventative practice. Vinegar and acid reflux could be a combination that works well for you.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:38 PM   #65
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

That's what I am doing., changing my diet, losing weight and trying to remember to use the apple cidar vinegar. Everyday I feel different.

The Following User Says Thank You to TEdds83 For This Useful Post:
Laalex2 (09-14-2012)
Old 01-20-2009, 12:13 AM   #66
(female)

precious49 HB User

hunjiman,
A very interesting and informative post. Thank you for taking the time. precious49
God Bless You and Yours Today and EveryDay

Old 01-20-2009, 12:47 AM   #67
(female)

bbsmummy HB User
Wink Re: Some Possible Helps for Acid Reflux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoung2525 View Post
Gentille,
The problem you have is somewhat like what I have with some bowel movements. The problem that I have is sometimes when I have to have a bowel movement (or have bad gas), my heart rate starts to rise and I start to get pain and numbness in my left arm and some esophageal pain/spasms (The problem usually is at night while I am sleeping). I know the problem sounds like it is heart related but I have had stress tests, EKG, ultrasound and cardiac cath and they all came up clean. I also had a colonoscopy which came up clean. It seems to be worse when I eat high fatty foods or other foods like caffeine, chocolate or spicy foods. My gastro doctor says that he believes that my intestinal system is spasming. Once I have a bowel movement or get rid of the gas, everything goes back to normal within 10 mintues to an hour. It seems that taking probiotics and Magnesium supplements has helped me alot. I used to get the attacks 2-3 times a week. Now I get them about once a month. Let me know if any of this sounds like what happens to you.

I have the same issues, was rushed into emergency when i arrived last year, my BP was sky high, my chest felt slightly painful and i had pressure in my throat. I was diagnosed with PVC's which is an irregular heart beat, but not a bad rhythm, after my 4-5 trip to emergency, same number of ECG's, an echo, My hubby and I finally looked up all the symptoms on the net, I had an esophageal spasm as I ate a sandwich that night, and we discovered gerds! My next trip to emerg, i again insisted my throat felt funny, told about the spasm, and the dr finally agreed that it could be gerds, soa barrium swallow was done and voila! GERDS! UGH!!! I still get that feeling in my chest/throat, feels like air pressure pushing from the inside up, but no burning.....but i can feel chest pain, and my heart beating irregularly, once the gas and/or BM is released, Heartbeat goes back to normal, not irregular and all is right in my world!

Old 01-20-2009, 07:01 AM   #68
(female)

hunjiman HB User

TEdwards83, please let me know if you would like suggested sources of apple cider vinegar.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:53 PM   #69
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, I would love for you to give me some Apple Cidar Vinegar choices. This is the route I would like to go. Expecially since my reflux is fairly mild in comparison to others. It is getting better too. I would love your thoughts. Thanks!

Old 01-20-2009, 10:30 PM   #70
(female)

hunjiman HB User

The acv needs to be organic unpasteurized and unfiltered. You can buy Braggs in Wholefoods or I have tested products from Body Ami and they have a free trial offer, really tastes good. I hope this helps.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-16-2009 at 07:07 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 02-06-2011, 12:55 AM   #71
(male)

relux sufferer HB User

I have suffered since i was around 25 and now I am 29 years old. The first post was very enlightening to me, because I also suffer from systemic candida (or yeast) infection in my scalp.

I am going to look into that direction next! I have tried cutting out different foods but no joy but the medicines work for now!

Closed Thread