It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2008, 08:09 AM   #1
(female)

gentille57 HB User
Some Possible Helps for Acid Reflux

Hello fellow acid reflux sufferers! I have been suffering with GERD for 22 years. It started when I was 11. At times medications really helped get it under control. I have taken just about everything: pepcid, prilosec, propulsid, nexium, tums, pepto, prevacid, etc. After a time they quit working and my reflux got even worse when I tried to go back on them. At times my reflux has been so bad I've had to sleep sitting up for weeks at a time and have had extreme difficulty eating and even drinking water, not to mention talking or walking around. YOu'd never think it could be that debilitating but I'm sure many on this board have experienced worse.

In any case, throughout my own experience and reading over the years, I've found there are many things that can cause GERD which some of you may have already looked into but others may not have considered. Celiac disease, for starters. Any kind of food sensitivity can cause GERD. I know there is a blood test called Ige or something like that which tests for these sensitivities. Celiac is a blood test as well, just worth a shot. Dairy and eggs are also big allergens for many people.

Another cause can be h pylori, make sure to rule it out as that can be easily solved with antibiotics.
Gall stones are another cause, as is systemic candida or yeast. I believe my issues stem from a spastic, very twisted colon that aggravates my hiatal hernia. For some reason, when my bowels are trying to move, I have a lot of acid reflux. Anyone else experience this?

A word about antacids and antacid meds--if you take these for years and overalkalanize your body's ph, your body will eventually produce even more acid and an unhealthy, bacterial environment can be created in your gut from over alkalinization. There are natural sources, like licorice root, that you can get at the health food store, that help heal the esophagus without that alkalinizing affect.

I am a newbie, so all of this may have been posted before. If so, I apologize for making anyone yawn, lol!
gentille57

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2008, 10:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Re: Some Possible Helps for Acid Reflux

Welcome gentille57. There are plenty of us suffering. Thanks for your imput. It can be debillitating that is for sure. I am really going through the wringer with the mucus thing. I just can't get it all cleared up. I don't know if this will go on forever or not. But I am going to get the endoscopy done and all the tests. I can't get in until January. I am trying not to panic. Sometimes I feel like it effects my breathing. The constant clearing is annoying me and my husband. I am about ready to sleep in another room.

So I will try any homopathic remedies I can. If you know of any please post them. Thanks! I am trying to de yeast my body and I take probiotics as well.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:15 PM   #3
(male)

Ryoung2525 HB User

Gentille,
You mentioned something about your acid reflux gets worse when your bowels are trying to move. I have something very similar to this that the doctors are baffled about. Could you explain in more detail what happens to you when you get this problem?
Thanks,
Bob

Old 12-27-2008, 08:26 PM   #4
(female)

gentille57 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoung2525 View Post
Gentille,
You mentioned something about your acid reflux gets worse when your bowels are trying to move. I have something very similar to this that the doctors are baffled about. Could you explain in more detail what happens to you when you get this problem?
Thanks,
Bob
Hi Bob!
Thanks for sharing. I have yet to meet someone who experiences acid reflux with bowels movements. Two colonoscopies over the years showed the same report: a "tortuously twisted colon." both times they had to stop and start the scope, inching it forward because my intestines spasmed so much. I was told by a dr when I was 11 that when my bowels move, it creates spasms that make the acid come up. I have thought all this time that he was dead on, despite what a myriad of other doctors have told me over the years. It is weird what sometimes helps my reflux--moving around, exercise, sometimes swallowing, sometimes pressing my tongue to the roof of my mouth/sucking on something--points to a muscular issue in my opinion although at times yeast killers have helped. Sometimes weight can aggravate reflux, but I am very thin so it's not that. I am stymied. All I know is that sitting still and laying down, even with my bed raised, can greatly aggravate my reflux.

I wrestle with severe chronic constipation. When my bowels are stimulated to go, it's like they over react, go into spasm, and voila! tight chest, knotted and burning stomach, up the acid comes. Not sure how else to describe what happens. Sometimes anti inflammatories like nordic naturals jr 3-6-9, and country life ultra omega fish oil caps help. It seems like calming spasms calms the reflux, but I can't take anti spasmodics like bentyl and levbid because they constipate me even worse. Then I need even more stimulation to go, and the whole viscious cycle starts all over again. I do not have chron's, etc; I've only been diagnosed with spastic colitis.

Hope that helps and answers your question, feel free to ask any more or to share what you suffer with. I am desperate for answers. I am even looking into the possbility of sjogren's syndrome, because of chronic dry eye, dry nose, and even dry stools.
gentille57

Old 12-27-2008, 08:32 PM   #5
(female)

gentille57 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEdwards83 View Post
Welcome gentille57. There are plenty of us suffering. Thanks for your imput. It can be debillitating that is for sure. I am really going through the wringer with the mucus thing. I just can't get it all cleared up. I don't know if this will go on forever or not. But I am going to get the endoscopy done and all the tests. I can't get in until January. I am trying not to panic. Sometimes I feel like it effects my breathing. The constant clearing is annoying me and my husband. I am about ready to sleep in another room.

So I will try any homopathic remedies I can. If you know of any please post them. Thanks! I am trying to de yeast my body and I take probiotics as well.
I know a lot of people use licorice root and it seems to help. It comes in a liquid, I believe. shouldnt' be too hard to get. I am unable to take it because of interstitial cystitis/chronic inflammation of urinary tract. Everything I eat or drink can make me feel like I have a nasty bladder infection, so I am limited. One thing that sometimes helps me is nordic naturals jr. 3-6-9. It is liquid fish oil for kids. Sometimes ultra omegas by country life help; be careful, if your reflux is bad, puncture the gel cap and squirt it out into water rather than swallowing it Could be painful to get down even though it's not that big. I've had reflux flare for hours just from swallowing something like that when my chest is tight. The omega does not taste great but I am used to it. The nordic is lemon flavored; I thought the citrus would bother my stomach but it hasn't. Maybe try small amounts at first and see how your stomach takes it.
I know there are other natural healers but I'm not sure what they are; I will let you know if I find out
I am fortunate not to have had as much of the mucous, but when my reflux is bad, I literally get a full blown head cold. It irritates my throat and mucous membranes and I get very congested, nasal drip, the works. sheesh
gentille57

Last edited by gentille57; 12-27-2008 at 08:35 PM.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:27 AM   #6
(female)

fargo62 HB User

I have a couple of simple suggestions which are natural and which may help the acid reflux. I used to take Prevacid daily until I discovered how they work which I didn't like. I first used a supplement I read about in a magazine that is made from orange peel - I think it is orange peel extract. I took that for a month and then I also use organic apple cider vinegar before meals. If I was even 1/2 hour late taking Prevacid, I knew it - and I now no longer have to use it just from taking the orange peel extract for a month and then using the ACV. Try it - it sure can't hurt.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-30-2008 at 03:56 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 12-28-2008, 07:32 PM   #7
(male)

Ryoung2525 HB User

Gentille,
The problem you have is somewhat like what I have with some bowel movements. The problem that I have is sometimes when I have to have a bowel movement (or have bad gas), my heart rate starts to rise and I start to get pain and numbness in my left arm and some esophageal pain/spasms (The problem usually is at noght while I am sleeping). I know the problem sounds like it is heart related but I have had stress tests, EKG, ultrasound and cardiac cath and they all came up clean. I also had a colonoscopy which came up clean. It seems to be worse when I eat high fatty foods or other foods like caffeine, chocolate or spicy foods. My gastro doctor says that he believes that my intestinal system is spasming. Once I have a bowel movement or get rid of the gas, everything goes back to normal within 10 mintues to an hour. It seems that taking probiotics and Magnesium supplements has helped me alot. I used to get the attacks 2-3 times a week. Now I get them about once a month. Let me know if any of this sounds like what happens to you.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:43 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

My doctors and I believe my reflux and gastritis is also related to chronic constipation. Most likely I have bile reflux which is triggered by IBS-C. So after failing to find any relief using the typical treatment protocol for gerds I directed my efforts toward treating IBS-C. I have finally made some progress and feeling much better. For me finding the right combination of probiotics, magnesium and fiber supplements have made a huge difference.

I tried a lots of different probiotics but only one really made a noticeable difference its a product called "Goodbelly" that contains the probiotic strain Lp299v. You owe it to yourself to do a little research on Lp299v and try it if it's available in your area. I believe this product deserves most of the credit for the relief I'm currently experiencing.

I also tried a number of different magnesium supplements but have had the best luck using Natural Calm right before bedtime. It helps with the sleep as well as with the "C". You'll have to gradually increase your dosage of magnesium until you find what's right for you. For me I can tolerate 1g dosages of magnesium citrate before I reach bowel tolerance. I know of others can only tolerate a 200mg single dosage.

As for the fiber supplements I've been happy with the benifiber it's easy for me to take and I've not had any problems with it.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:58 AM   #9
(female)

gentille57 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoung2525 View Post
Gentille,
The problem you have is somewhat like what I have with some bowel movements. The problem that I have is sometimes when I have to have a bowel movement (or have bad gas), my heart rate starts to rise and I start to get pain and numbness in my left arm and some esophageal pain/spasms (The problem usually is at noght while I am sleeping). I know the problem sounds like it is heart related but I have had stress tests, EKG, ultrasound and cardiac cath and they all came up clean. I also had a colonoscopy which came up clean. It seems to be worse when I eat high fatty foods or other foods like caffeine, chocolate or spicy foods. My gastro doctor says that he believes that my intestinal system is spasming. Once I have a bowel movement or get rid of the gas, everything goes back to normal within 10 mintues to an hour. It seems that taking probiotics and Magnesium supplements has helped me alot. I used to get the attacks 2-3 times a week. Now I get them about once a month. Let me know if any of this sounds like what happens to you.
I understand about the heart thing as I frequently experience a more rapid heart beat with bowel movemetns. I thought I was crazy. Soemtimes I get chills and cold sweating. I have been on a probiotic program for six and a half years. I am still only able to tolerate very small amounts, and can't even do that on a regular basis. They give me a lot of heartburn. It is so vexing, it seems like everything gives me heartburn. so does magnesium. Just can't seem to get my bowels to move without all the spasms and heartburn. Unfortunatley, the reflux does not abate with the passing of stool. Soemtimes the more days in a row I go, the worse it gets, although this has gotten a little better over the years. Good grief, I feel like such a strange case!
I am so glad you are doing better, makes me wonder if I should keep up with the probiotics, but I am discouraged and tired of the reflux they cause. It isn't just them though, it's anything that makes my bowels move. a new doc wants to try me on miralax
I appreciate your input
gentille57

Last edited by gentille57; 12-30-2008 at 10:01 AM.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:05 AM   #10
(female)

gentille57 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red60 View Post
My doctors and I believe my reflux and gastritis is also related to chronic constipation. Most likely I have bile reflux which is triggered by IBS-C. So after failing to find any relief using the typical treatment protocol for gerds I directed my efforts toward treating IBS-C. I have finally made some progress and feeling much better. For me finding the right combination of probiotics, magnesium and fiber supplements have made a huge difference.

I tried a lots of different probiotics but only one really made a noticeable difference its a product called "Goodbelly" that contains the probiotic strain Lp299v. You owe it to yourself to do a little research on Lp299v and try it if it's available in your area. I believe this product deserves most of the credit for the relief I'm currently experiencing.

I also tried a number of different magnesium supplements but have had the best luck using Natural Calm right before bedtime. It helps with the sleep as well as with the "C". You'll have to gradually increase your dosage of magnesium until you find what's right for you. For me I can tolerate 1g dosages of magnesium citrate before I reach bowel tolerance. I know of others can only tolerate a 200mg single dosage.

As for the fiber supplements I've been happy with the benifiber it's easy for me to take and I've not had any problems with it.
Hi Red60.
Would you tell me what IBS-C means? I have been seeing that lately in my searches and don't know what the C is for. What is bile reflux? How is the strain Lp299v different from say, acidophilus or bifidus, etc?
Thank your respodning to my thread, I appreciate it
gentille57

Old 12-30-2008, 02:34 PM   #11
(male)

Ryoung2525 HB User

Gentille,
I have found that taking the probiotics in the morning with something to eat helps with absorption and I have not had a reflux problem while taking it. I have also found that taking a magnesium supplement that includes calcium and zinc seems to work best. I have read that the calcium helps with the absorption rate. I take about 600 mg of magnesium at night right before bed. Make sure you drink a full glass of water with it. Teh magnesium has really helped with the spasms and the probiotics with keeping my digestion system regular.

I have also experienced the sweating and cold chills. The first time it happened, I thought for sure I was having a heart attack. Went to the emergency room and everything checked out fine. I have found that eating a good amount of fiber, 20-30 grams a day really helps. Try to include as much soluble fiber as possible.

Hope all this helps you out.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:23 AM   #12
(male)

Seun HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargo62 View Post
I have a couple of simple suggestions which are natural and which may help the acid reflux. I used to take Prevacid daily until I discovered how they work which I didn't like. I first used a supplement I read about in a magazine that is made from orange peel - I think it is orange peel extract. I took that for a month and then I also use organic apple cider vinegar before meals. If I was even 1/2 hour late taking Prevacid, I knew it - and I now no longer have to use it just from taking the orange peel extract for a month and then using the ACV. Try it - it sure can't hurt.
I first read about using apple cider vinegar for GERD in Kevin Trudeau's "Natural Cure..." book. The orange peel extract thing is new. I'll have to look into that. And you're right. They certainly can't hurt, since they're both natural items. Thanks

Old 01-02-2009, 06:29 AM   #13
(female)

susieq14 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentille57 View Post
Hi Red60.
Would you tell me what IBS-C means? I have been seeing that lately in my searches and don't know what the C is for. What is bile reflux? How is the strain Lp299v different from say, acidophilus or bifidus, etc?
Thank your respodning to my thread, I appreciate it
gentille57
Gentille57,
IBS = Irritable Bowel Syndrome which is a diagnosis that is given to folks with lower digestive issues as opposed to upper digestive after you have had tests (specifically a colonscopy) to rule out anything else.

Peoiple who have IBS tend to have either IBS-C which means they deal with chronic constipation or IBS-D which is the opposite problem having diarrhea and then some folks have IBS-A which means they alternate between both C and D.

Bile reflux is when you reflux bile instead of acid. There is a special test called an impedance test to determine if you are refluxing bile instead of acid.

Have you had an upper endoscopy to see if you have any erosive esophgitis from the acid reflux? what about the Bravo test? I was surprised when I had my first scope that the doctor said I had EE - I didn't really have lots of burning or liquid burps with my indigestion just the awful center chest pains and pain in my left upper gut (my term for the area above my waist under my left breast), indescribable belching and like you the onset of the feeling of an awful head cold with a runny nose and postnasal drip etc. My Bravo test definitley showed that I had GERD and acid reflux and my GI said that I would need to be on PPI's for life - not something I want to have to do. So far I've been on a 40mg twice a day of first Protonix and now Nexium for the last 3 years. I try to do all the "right" things i.e. follow a GERD diet, have my bed elevated, lost 52 pounds, don't eat too soon before going to bed, but there are still times that I wind up in total agony from my GERD. And then it seems to upset my lower GI tract and my IBS kicks in. Sometimes I wish I didn't have to eat! And this is from someone who loves to cook and eat out etc.

The best to all of you - it is nice to meet you all and hear similar experiences. doesn't cure you but somehow is comforting to know you are not alone in this vicious cycle of GER and IBS. I guess the old saying "misery loves company" is very true. Thank goodness for message boards!

Old 01-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #14
(male)

doglover HB User

Thansk for the great information. I will be sure to try these.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:40 AM   #15
(female)

gentille57 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover View Post
Thansk for the great information. I will be sure to try these.
doglover
Just a precaution--with anything you try--the natural stuff--please start out with a small amount and see how you respond. give yourself a good hour. I've had things increase my reflux right at first and then it tapers off, and I've had things improve my acid reflux right off and then it get worse in about an hour. You never know how something will affect your stomach, esp if you are not certain what is causing the reflux. Just a word to proceed carefully, I hope soemthing helps!!
gentille57

Closed Thread