It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2009, 04:40 PM   #1
(female)

Em55 HB User
Tedwards!

Good luck tomorrow!!!

You will be in my payers!

Old 01-08-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Re: Tedwards!

Thanks Em! I am so scared! I have talked to so many people about this that say "hey! It will be ok!" they say you don't remember it and all. I keep thinking I will feel it and wake up, or something will go wrong. I have made myself sick all day.

I am eating a little salad right now with no dressing. I will have an apple and maybe a carb because when the clock strikes midnight I can have no solid food until about 2:30 tomorrow afternoon. My appt isn't until 1:20 pm. Can you believe that? And to top it off I have to set the alarm clock for 5:30 and get up and drink something by 6:20 AM because that will be my last drink until about 2:30 also. NO WATER even! The nurse said I could only swish water around in my mouth and spit it out if I was thirsty. How's that for anxiety? LOL I feel like I can't even have a drink of water. Ugh! I hope my reflux isn't real bad because of this.

I have my prayer team all going and I welcome your prayer and any others. I will pray for you too! I promise!! I will also come on here as soon as I get back and tell you all about it and what she said. If I remember. I guess that is what my husband is there for. To catch all the details for me. Man I hope they don't find anything that can't be fixed in there. Where is my faith right now? It seems to be out the window!

Hugs to you all!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
(female)

Em55 HB User

Ahh you will be okay!! Just remember that they do them all the time and it will go fine. That sucks you cant eat, that is bad for reflex. My doctor told me i have to eat very frequently and small amounts. She said for dinner to eat like one thing, wait, then eat more,...so on....

Thanks, i cant wait to hear how it goes, i will be on after school tomorrow to see how it went!

Good LUCK!!!!!!
You wont need my luck or payers but they are there for you anyways!!

Old 01-08-2009, 08:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

THANKS EM!! I really appreciate it! I feel like you all are with me. I should be one later afternoon. I can't wait to be through it and talk to you all. I am sorry if I am a big baby. And here I am 44 years old. lol

Old 01-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #5
(female)

Em55 HB User

Oh dont worry about it,, we all would be scared having this done.

In the last week or so my stomach area has been so sore i couldnt hardly even touch it and when i would slightly press on it it felt like it was pressing directly on my airways! I asked my mom to pllleassse call the doctor tomorrow or i would, and ask them to at least see me or send me in to get an upper gi done. I think that is what she wants me to get first which is fine by me. No needles! lol.

Does this sound like a hernia?? she thinks thats what i got but if it is i think it is really big cause i have gotten bigger at the stomach but i thought i just gained a lil weight there but it is hard and sore as he**! Kinda scared.

Good luck.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-09-2009 at 06:41 AM. Reason: fix the smilie code

Old 01-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

You know EM, I think I would just insist that you get right in. Just put the pressure on the doctor to get you in. Say first of all that you are feeling so rotten it's hard to function and secondly you need to know what's going on right away so you can figure out a treatment plan. Just get pushy if you have to. Or have your mom get pushy for you. Otherwise Doctors just kind of line you up whenever. Maybe we need more Doctors. I want you to get help right away. I hate seeing you suffer. Or anyone else on here for that matter.

One time last spring I broke out on hives after taking Immodium AD for my diarrhea. They were bad hives like baseballs everywhere. My lip was swelling too. I called the clinic and they put me on hold. I was infuriated. I just needed to have them tell me where to go or what to do. I was left on hold. I immediately hung up and drove myself to the clinic down the road. I had been throwing up all day and now this. I was in my grubbies and looked horrible. But who cares at this point. I was having an allergic reaction. I barged through the clinic and demanded to be seen. I pulled up my sweatshirt and flashed the ladies at the front desk and showed them all my hives! I looked like a monster. They gasped! But it got there attention and they took me to the back and gave me a steriod shot immediately and Benadryl. You see no one cares for you like you!! I don't know if something bad could have happened to me like an airway going closed or something but I wasn't about to take that chance.

So......all this to say. Unless you make some noise about it sometimes they just say ahh you can wait. I would say no! I need to be seen now. Lots of times they will make room. It's worth a try. I really care about you!

Last edited by TEdds83; 01-08-2009 at 08:54 PM.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:12 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

TEdwards,

No need to think of yourself as being a baby about this. Everyone has things that seriously worry them.

That said, please try to calm yourself down tonight. I don't want you to make yourself sick worrying about your test. Try to go about your normal routine in the morning. When I had my first one, I went to work and followed my routine, but just left early. It kept me from thinking about it all morning. That was my first time having any kind of procedure too.

Also, tell yourself you will be ok. Remember the power of positive thinking. That may help you calm down a bit. Chances are much higher for everything to go just right than for there to be any problems.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you tomorrow with the relief in your voice that everything went fine.

My thoughts will be with you too.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

HI EVERYONE!!Back from the endoscopy!! I did it! I made it through! Whew! Let me just say once I got the drugs it's all I remember. It was nothing just like you all have said. So EM and Chantal don't worry! The worrying only makes you feel worse.

Here's how my day went. I hadn't eaten since midnight and no liquids since 6:20 am. I was feeling a bit weak this morning. I got up and 5:45am and had a gatorade and some water then went back to bed and watched a movie and dozed. I layed in bed till about 9 ish then got a shower and washed my hair. I tried to just keep busy and have a little routine. We left the house at 11:45ish.

Got to the clinic at about 12:15. I filled out paperwork. Tried not to read the fine print. haha! I was in the waiting area briefly then they came and got me and my husband and took me back to my room. I had to got over all my meds with the nurse. She was a little bit disgusted with all my homeopathic things I take and kind of scouffed at me about those. She questioned me about if they really work or not.

I got into a gown and the hooked up the blood pressure cuff and an I.V. After about 15 minutes of waiting. I noticed that I had a bad red rash appearing over my right arm and all over my back. I had gotten up to use the restroom and I showed all the nurses my rash. We figured out that I was allergic to the sheets on the bed. I was wearing sweats and that part of my body didn't have the rash. SO then the nurse went back to the doctor and they discussed putting Benadryl in my I.V. to handle the rash. I was thinking to myself.. oh great, I am already allergic to something that we weren't sure about. And they were wondering why I was nervous about being sedated. Dah!

So WOW went that Benadryl went through the I.V. it was quick. I began to shake and my teeth were chattering. I felt REALLY dizzy! It scared me. They told me it was normal and then I would start to get tired. About 15 minutes later I was pretty mellow and talking a bit mumbly. lol The doctor was running about 40 mins. behind schedule.

I was wheeled into the procedure room at about 2 PM instead of 1:20. I was fairly calm. I had a real nice nurse and a young male doctor from India. I asked to see the scope and the mouth piece. (mine was green) lol It didn't look so bad. I asked what was going to happen to me. They explain and I was covered by a nice warm blanket. I saw him put two drugs into my I.V. line versed and another one that I think starts with an "A" I think. I was just about to ask about the mouth piece and he went to put it in my mouth and that is ALL I remember. That's it. I didn't even feel him put it in my mouth. I asked for no spray in the back of my mouth. I didn't feel a thing anyway. The next thing I knew I was in the recovery. I did remember being moved for a brief second. Then I remember the doctor coming in and starting to talk to my husband and I. I kind of woke up to ask a few questions them. It was hazy. Finally the nurse told me it was time to get dressed. So by the time
I really realized I needed to get up it had been 45 mins. I thought it was only 5 mins after the procedure. They has even taken off my BP cuff, heart monitors, and I.V. I didn't feel any of it or remember it.

So here's what the doctor said.....He said I found NOTHING wrong! Not one thing!! I asked 3 times....ARE YOU SURE?? ARE YOU SURE?? ARE YOU SURE?
He said there is nothing there, no damage, no GERD, no ulcers, no redness..
Hmmmm I was thinking what the heck?? Maybe God healed me at the prayer service the other night! I will receive that healing!!

However I am not imagining the acid reflux, burning and pain. It is real and it is there. But it just hasn't done any damage. Praise God! But he believes me that I am refluxing and gave me a list a prescription meds to try that won't hopefully have artificial sweetners. I have to ask the pharmicist before filling them.

So where do I go from here?? I will continue eating right, eliminating the stress out of my life and finding a med to help keep this under control.

So EM, Chantal and all the rest of you who are about to have your procedures, rest assured you are in good hands! It's normal to be afraid and you will be a little but just follow what they tell you they are going to do and you will do great. I never thought I would be done. But it came and went. And it went just fine! It will for you too. I think the hardest part was going with out food and water for so long. Try to get a morning appt. Mine was in the afternoon and that was tough! But I made it and now I can have something yummy but sensible for supper!

Big Hugs!
Tammy

Last edited by TEdds83; 01-09-2009 at 03:49 PM.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:16 PM   #9
(female)

Em55 HB User

Hey Tammy that is great news! Im sorry it didnt help out much but you know you can get through this! Did the IV hurt? That is what im nervous about.

My mom called the doctor's office and told them i was in a lot of pain and my stomach kept swelling up, and turns out all the doctors were off for some reason so the office lady tried calling my doctor but she wasnt home so she said just do what ever to keep comfy over the weekend and to call again monday morning.
I think i am getting an upper gi before she makes me get an endoscopy.
I think i have a big hernia :/

Im soo glad it went good for you.!!!
Em

Old 01-09-2009, 04:41 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

HI Em! Thanks! As far as the I.V. you can do it. If you have someone real good at it they can do it nearly painlessly. I really hardly felt that go in. My nurse was great. We will just pray you get someone who is good at it. I won't lie. It is a bit uncomfortable having that in you for a bit, but if you don't think about it and think about other things that could be the only bad thing of the whole process. It's important they put one in. I hadn't had liquids on hours and it helped to get me back hydrated. It is also the place they put your sleepy drugs into.

Regarding Upper GI, I thought that was the same thing as an endoscopy. Maybe I am wrong. I would just get scheduled for one. They will cover all the territory. They went down my throat into my stomach and a part of the upper intestine that is leaving the stomach into the intestine. This should cover all your trouble areas. I would have loved to have watched the screen but be so sleepy that I didn't feel it. But for me I literally was out like a light in 2 seconds. Seriously.

I want you to get right in. Then you can find out what's going on and get help.

I am a bit frustrated they didn't find anything on me. Don't get me wrong I am glad! But I do have reflux so I need to control. It just mean I didn't have any damage. So I have to treat it carefully so I don't get worse.

You will be fine! I just hope you can get your appt soon!

Last edited by TEdds83; 01-09-2009 at 04:43 PM.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:03 PM   #11
(female)

Em55 HB User

Okay, im sure i can get through it fine. With everything already, it would be worth it. Sorry they refer to brium swallow xrays and endoscopies both upper GI's for some unknown reason. She said last time i was in that if i dont improve then she will have to send me in for an upper gi(she was trying soo hard not to scare me bless her, since she had just examed me and knew i was super sore from it) So i am not sure and wont know until at least monday what she meant by that. I think it would make better sense to get the endoscopy cause then they could take a biopsy. Either way im sure they are going to find something wrong with how big my stomach is gettign and how TENDER!

That is exactly how i felt with the asthma testing and the 3/4 xrays i have had in the last year! I was like come on show me something already.!
Thanks Tammy your awsome!

Old 01-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #12
(female)

Chantal231 HB User

Hi Tammy!

I am SO HAPPY that all went so well for you! I would be doing cartwheels right now if I could.

Please continue to pray for me. I'm really nervous. I have anxiety/panic disorder and it is hard to control.

I'm allergic to hospital sheets too. I think it must be the disinfectant they use.

It's great that nothing was found though I know you're still feeling the reflux. Hopefully you can find a med to work for you.

I know I have a hiatal hernia as it was seen in the first endoscopy I had. I'm sure it's bigger now.

Are you going to have a colonoscopy or have you had enough for now?

I hate all kinds of tests as they bring on my anxiety full force. I even dread my annual gyn exam and mammogram. When I had my HIDA scan I started to cry as I felt so alone and afraid.

Enjoy your weekend! You can relax now that it is over.

Had you ever been sedated before? I haven't and that worries me too.

Again, I'm VERY HAPPY for you.

Hugs,
Chantal

Old 01-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #13
(female)

Em55 HB User

Oh my goodness what next, the doctors office called back and said that if my possible hernia was hurting me i will have to go back to my regular md! wth???
Do pulonologists and INTERNAL doctors do not deal with hiatal hernias??? My regular doctor is the one who let this get this bad in the first place!!! She is very uneducated about this!

I am about to cry this makes me so mad. The doctor didnt say anything last time about me having to go to a different doctor if i had a hernia. It is interal so why wouldnt they do it? Im still making an appointment like she told me to and i will take it up with the doctor herself and then her boss if she wont and see if he will treat me for it so i dont die from some stupid doctors who dont care.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:42 PM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Tammy,
I'm proud of you for going through with your EGD today.

I'm glad that the doctor didn't find anything wrong. I know I've mentioned this before, but I have really severe reflux and both of my EGD's have come back clear with no problems or redness. All this meant was that for some miraculous reason I didn't have any acid damage.

Give your prescriptions an honest try. For most people, they provide some relief. Although, if your symptoms are more towards the LPR area, many need to take the PPI's twice a day.

The tests that actually confirmed my reflux were the pH and Barium ones. The Manometry confirmed that I had a LES that wasn't closing correctly, thus allowing the acid and food to come back up. The 24 hr pH confirmed the frequency and severity of of my reflux. In fact in the couple years between my tests I went from really bad to severely bad on this test. The ironic thing was that on the day of the test I wasn't feeling any reflux symptoms. The other tests that confirmed my reflux were the Modified Barium Swallow and Esophagram. Those tests confirmed that I had reflux coming up and aggrevating my lungs, that I had food and reflux coming up after I swallow and that I had developed a hiatal hernia in the last two years. (Probably from all that constant coughing.)

Old 01-09-2009, 09:57 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

HI Ladies!

Em, you will get yours figured out. But since you have alot of bloating, swelling and pain I would demand nicely that you get right in. Nothing to fear. I was talking to the receptionist's and nurses and telling them my biggest fright was the days before just thinking about it.

Chantal, I think those sheets are terriable! I mean I could smell a funny detergent. Real sterile. But I just think it's odd that I had a gown on with the ties in the back and my sweat pants. And I started to break out in a rash where my back was exposed to the sheets and then on my arms where they were laying on the sheets. Big red blotches. So they game me Benadryl. I tell ya, that knocked me out even before the sedation. I was already barely able to talk. Yikes! I have panic and anxiety disorder too and I told the nurses. They were so comforting to me. You will be fine! Is your's scheduled on the 19th? Remind me again.
Oh and I think I will do the colonoscopy as soon as the doctor ok's it. I think I will be ok now that I have done this one. Also I will be bringing my own sheets! Seriously, it's crazy to break out like that from laying on a sheet.

MountainReader, I do believe for a fact that I have acid reflux, without a doubt! The doctor believes me too. Thank goodness, he just said he didn't see anything. So I am extremely grateful for that. I am glad you told me that about you too. Otherwise people might not believe us. I know that some of us may not show damage but it certainly doesn't mean we aren't refluxing. The nurse tried to tell me that she never heard of mucus being a part of refluxing. I thought she was crazy not knowing that. It is one of the classic symptoms. We all know that. So I plan to get a prescription for one of the meds he prescribed. I have to check the ingredients first. I have coughing spells in the fall with my allergies so I am suprise I haven't gotten a hernia yet. I am going to try and get ahold on the allergies ahead of time for next fall. It gets so bad I thought about relocating for 4 months and then coming back home. That is how sick I get.

Well ladies! Thanks for being here for me! I am here for you too. Things will work out for us all. I think I might sleep like a baby tonight if I am lucky. You do the same.

Last edited by TEdds83; 01-09-2009 at 09:59 PM.

Closed Thread