It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Question about sedation after endoscopy

I was just wondering if any of you who have had the endoscopy with sedation know how long the sedation drugs stay in your body?? My friend who has had numerous procedures done says she thinks it is about 3 days. If that is the case did you have any side effects coming of the drug? It has been just 24 hour now since I was sedated and I feel a little dizzy and shaky. Could it be coming of the drugs?? Or maybe it is just me being hormonal, PMS, allergies I don't know. Any thoughts??

Old 01-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Question about sedation after endoscopy

I don't know what is normal. I can tell you that the 3 times I have had that type of sedation I had absolutely no after-effects.

After being under for full surgeries, I had difficulty with bad nausea.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2009, 02:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Well if it is not the sedation wearing off then...could it be pms symptoms?? My period is due to start any minute now. Maybe my hormones are going up or down and I am just shaky and dizzy. I don't know. It's freaking me out.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Maybe all the stress you've been under too. Can't speak much on the PMS. Thankfully, I don't typically have any symptoms like that.

Have you been eating healthy in the last day?

Old 01-10-2009, 05:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

When I have light sedation the next day I'm really groggy and usually my stomach is sort of jumpy. I don't usually feel back to normal until the second day. For major surgery it takes me about a week before I feel like the medication is out of my system.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Ladies! It has been a rough day for me. I really think since my body hasn't been sedated for over 20 years (light sedation during labor with my baby) it didn't like it so well. After the 24 hour mark after the sedation I have had these symptoms: Dizzy, shaky, nauseated, headache and diarrhea. YUCK!!!
Now mind you I have had NO medications, vitamins or anything in my for over 3 days. Just food and water. AND the sedation med!!
I am having pms symptoms and I wish it would start because some of this could be tied into that. But I don't get it this bad. I honestly think it is the after effects as the drug wears off. I could be wrong. But there is no one to talk to about this.
Also...they found nothing wrong inside me during the upper GI scope. So what is going on here?? Oh and I keep taking my temp. just incase I am getting the flu or infection or something...no fever! It's totally normal. Hmmm..

Last edited by TEdds83; 01-10-2009 at 08:58 PM.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:05 PM   #7
(female)

Chantal231 HB User

Hi Tammy,

I often get sick and feel like I'm getting the flu just before my period. However, for me, it has always been this way.

Just drink lots of water and try to get the sedation meds out of your system.

I asked my husband if he had any side effects from sedation after his colonoscopy and he said he doesn't remember. MEN!!! I bet they wouldn't forget labor and delivery or even a bad period with cramps from he**.

hugs,
Chantal

Feel better soon.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:10 PM   #8
(female)

precious49 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEdwards83 View Post
Hi Ladies! It has been a rough day for me. I really think since my body hasn't been sedated for over 20 years it didn't like it so well. After the 24 hour mark after the sedation I have had these symptoms: Dizzy, shaky, nauseated, headache and diarrhea. YUCK!!!
Now mind you I have had NO medications, vitamins or anything in my for over 3 days. Just food and water. AND the sedation med!!
I am having pms symptoms and I wish it would start because some of this could be tied into that. But I don't get it this bad. I honestly think it is the after effects as the drug wears off. I could be wrong. But there is no one to talk to about this.
Also...they found nothing wrong inside me during the upper GI scope. So what is going on here?? Oh and I keep taking my temp. just incase I am getting the flu or infection or something...no fever! It's totally normal. Hmmm..
Hello TEdwards83,
I'm so sorry that you're having such a bad day. Do you know what they gave you? It does sound like you may have had a reaction to it because usually it's out of your system by then. But each person is different. If it continues, I would call where you had it done and talk to someone there.
I'm thankful that they found nothing wrong but I know what you mean--there is something that is causing your problem. I just pray right now that you get to feeling better. My phone beeped me at 1:20 yesterday and I knew that it was time to pray for you. I just want you to get to feeling better
precious49 God Bless You and Yours Today and EveryDay

Old 01-10-2009, 09:14 PM   #9
(female)

Ms one HB User

I just recently had an upper endoscopy and felt sleepy and exhausted for a few days afterward. Do you know what they gave you for sedation? Everyone responds differently. Some people go right back to work and then others, such as myself, sleep for 3 days before I started to feel normal again.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:29 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks ladies! I don't think I had been drinking enough water. I really beefed it up this evening. I feel a little better. I am going to call the office Monday morning and ask for a full report. I want to know what meds they gave me too. I know one was Versed or something and something that starts with an "A". He told me as he was putting them in. Then I slipped into lala land. That's all a remember. I was fine until 24 hours later when things seem to wear off. I have been tired too. Like I want to nap.

Last edited by TEdds83; 01-10-2009 at 09:31 PM.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:20 AM   #11
(female)

DMBF HB User

It could certainly be the sedation, but, it could also be the effects of the stress you were feeling before. Your body was probably in a very high state of anxiety (understandably!!) and sometimes those effects can be felt way after the stressful event. I know general anesthetic is different than IV sedation, but that can take months to get fully out of your system. Lots of water and deep breathing (as the lungs are another vital organ for depleting toxins and strange chemicals in our body) may help. And yes it can take months for the esophagus to heal, and that is if the medications are working to keep the acid production low. Have you started your new meds (what did they give you???)

Old 01-11-2009, 09:05 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am wondering if I might be suffering from post traumatic stress disorder. ( I know I haven't been in a war) It can still happen when you get yourself Soooo worked up that when the event is over your body just lets down and has some traumatic symptoms. It's nuts. I mean I have been shaky, diarrhea, headachey...then I got to thinking about my thyroid too. I wasn't allowed to take my thyroid med at 8 am like I have done everyday for the last 4 years. I had to wait until about 5 pm. Then it threw me off schedule. So the next morning I took it at 10 am. So I didn't wait a full 24 hours. I don't if it was doubling up on my med. If so...too much thyroid med can make you on the hyperthyroid side temporarily. Those symptoms can be, racing heart, jittery, and a few other things. I really don't know what it was.

All I know is that I am tired today. Just wiped out. A little shaky but not as bad. I just want to lay in bed. I know I have stuff to do. But I guess I can rest. I just wasn't expecting things like this to bother me after being sedated. I think it must be my high anxiety. I am not noticing my acid reflux the past couple of days to be too bad. Probably because I am freaked out about this other stuff. The nurse thinks I am a highly anxious person and suggested I get a prescription for Xanax. Any thoughts on this? Someone said it helps with reflux. Hmmm that might be nice too.

Last edited by TEdds83; 01-11-2009 at 09:11 AM.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #13
(female)

Ms one HB User

The things you are experiencing and feeling could very well be a combination of stress, anxiety and having your medication routine thrown off a little bit. There will always be things that need to get done, that never stops as long as we live, so if you feel like laying in bed and resting then you should, you're body and mind both need it. I don't have an anxiety problem but I do take Xanax for reflux. It's the only thing that works for me. If they are offering it, take it, give it a try. It can be addicitive and your body does develop a tolerance to it over time but for me it's worth it. It's a small price to pay to have relief from the GERD and LPR. I would rather be healthy and not have to take anything at all but that's not the case right now, so I take what works. My doctors don't seem to have any other solutions besides "just live with it and do the best you can". I get 100% relief from Xanax most of the time.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:58 PM   #14
(female)

Chantal231 HB User

Hi Tammy,

First of all baby and pamper yourself. You have been through an ordeal especially for those of us who have panic/anxiety disorder. I'm going through a lot right now too just THINKING about my procedures coming up on the 21st.

As for the Xanax, go for it. I take Valium (a cousin of Xanax) and Lexapro. They both help. I take my Valium as needed. I always take at least 10mg before bed. I've been on it a long time and my Dr trusts me with deciding what I need and knows I won't abuse it. I see her once a month and she is very supportive and helpful. The most I've ever taken in a day is 22mg.

It does help my reflux and IBS as it relaxes the smooth muscle tissue in our bodies.

I hope you feel better soon. Please let us know what they gave you for sedation.

xxoo,
Chantal

Old 01-11-2009, 04:47 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Chantal! I have been trying to baby myself all weekend. I layed in bed yesterday and today. Did not workout. And only got up to go to the grocery store and get some food since we are expecting a big snowstorm by tomorrow. I got myself some real healthy food to munch on. My appetite is better today so that is a relief! I even got myself some Green tea Soy Cream to try. (Like ice cream but soy) Just a little treat for me tonight.

I would recommend having a couple of days to just take it easy after having your procedure Chantal. But everyone is different. I literally was a wreck and the nurses I know were whispering about me. haha! I think they couldn't wait to see me knocked out. lol I just kept yacking their ears off. It wasn't just me. There was a lady in the room next to me just as bad.

Chantal, joey and other ladies...I think I do have major anxiety disorder and since they doctor found no redness, ulcers, hernia or anything in there they are suggesting Xanax for my problem. And you both have mentioned it to. Come tomorrow morning I will be phoning my doctor to get some. I had a prescription years ago and just carried it around in my purse and never used it. Just knowing it was there calmed me down. It was physcological, I know. This time I may use it. I need to take the edge off until I get rid of the stress in my life.

I am so afraid my husband and I are going to lose our house due to the economy, I am always worried about money. Always! And I think this is why it is happening.

Chantal, I will also talk to the clinic and get a full report on my endoscopy. I even want pictures. Does anyone know if I can get copies? Has anyone ever gotten theirs? I will also ask what they sedated me with. I will tell you that I was kind of presedated because I had a shot of Benadyl before the to sedation meds so I don't remember much once they wheeled me in to start. I had the Benadryl for the rash I got from the sheet on their bed. That was not pleasant. But hey God was faithful to pull me through. He will for you too!

Last edited by TEdds83; 01-11-2009 at 04:50 PM.

Closed Thread