It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

bride527 HB User
what is going on with this pain?

I posted a couple of weeks ago saying that i had a pain under my breastbone. I had an echo stress test and everything came back normal.....the other day i had an ultrasound of my gall bladder. They even checked my liver, pancreas, spleen etc and said all is completetly normal.
I am having an Upper GI on Friday. The pain is till there? any suggestions....it spreads to my left and ride side right under the breastbone? what will the GI show?? I know they will look at my stomach? any comments will be appreciated. thanks to all bride527

Old 01-11-2009, 02:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User
Re: what is going on with this pain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bride527 View Post
I posted a couple of weeks ago saying that i had a pain under my breastbone. I had an echo stress test and everything came back normal.....the other day i had an ultrasound of my gall bladder. They even checked my liver, pancreas, spleen etc and said all is completetly normal.
I am having an Upper GI on Friday. The pain is till there? any suggestions....it spreads to my left and ride side right under the breastbone? what will the GI show?? I know they will look at my stomach? any comments will be appreciated. thanks to all bride527
Sorry no one has addressed your problem. I don't have the pain but seems I've read it before on this board. Hopefully, someone can help you with an answer. At least all your test have been normal! The upper GI is a breeze and maybe you will find out something. It's really scary when you have all these symptoms and no one knows what's going on with you. Try to stay calm and relaxed. Good Luck.

CharBerry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2009, 01:50 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

vh90453 HB User

I had similar pain to you and after endoscopy was diagnosed with mild gastritis, small hiatus hernia and reflux.I take nexium which controls the lot. The procedure was nothing. Good luck.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:03 AM   #4
(female)

Em55 HB User

HI, i also have a ton of pain. I used to have it on the sides, but that has mostly gone away. I am on nexium and zantac. I still have a ton of pain all the time right on top of my stomach. My doctors think i have a hiatal hernia and i was supposed to go for an upper gi, but now my doctors office is saying they dont treat hiatal hernias so now i am still trying to get an appointment there to see if she is going to at least send me for the upper gi and make sure that is what is wrong.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

bride527 HB User

I was thinking hiatel hernia too (maybe) if so the GI will show that? i would have thought if there was one it would have showed up on the ultrasound??
If they don't find anything will the endoscope be the next test? ugh, hope not.......bride527

Old 01-12-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
(female)

Em55 HB User

Hi, Yeah that is what they suspect, and i go back on thursday to see what test im going in for.

The upper gi barium swallow should show if u have a hernia. I think that shows hernias, ulcers, reflex... a bunch of stuff.

If it doesnt show anything i dont think they will want an endoscopy then.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:32 PM   #7
(female)

DMBF HB User

When I had my first symptoms, I had the UPPER GI series done, and that was "unremarkable" but then my dr. still wanted the Endoscopy, which I didn't understand. He said that it looks at the inside of the esophagus, stomach, and top of intestines, and can detect inflammation that the other test can't (unless it was major and involved swelling). The Upper GI is an ongoing x-ray of barium going down, so they can see if it gets pushed back up, if there are any major constrictions/obstructions, etc. The endoscopy is looking at the actual insides of your body with a scope......so don't be alarmed if they still want to do both.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:39 PM   #8
(female)

Em55 HB User

DMBF, for a hernia which one do you think they would do first? my doctor said probably an upper gi, but i was thinking, usually they want to get a biopsy which would require an endoscopy..

any idea??

Old 01-12-2009, 06:57 PM   #9
(female)

DMBF HB User

SOrry, I don't know for sure. If it is a hernia, I think it would have to do with how big it is, where it is, if it is seen on the UPPER GI series. I think I remember being told AFTER the endoscopy that I didn't have a hernia, not the GI series, but that was 2.5 years ago so I can't say for sure. It is stressful waiting for any kind of test, and wondering WHY they are doing it, but we must be grateful that we live in an era and a place in the world where they can do these things, figure out what is going on (hopefully!!!), and then plan from there.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:44 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

bride527 HB User

Good luck to you too and I hope you are able to have the GI done. I know that test is pretty easy and they check the stomach out. I really hope that is the end of this test stuff. I want to know what is causing the pain but tests really stress me out.
bride527

Old 01-15-2009, 07:46 PM   #11
(female)

Em55 HB User

Thanks guys, i found out today from my regular doctor that i have to have the GI done and she thinks surgery is very possible. I am getting it scheduled tomorrow, they are supposed to call and tell me when, she said they arent usually a long wait period.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:35 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

jellebeans HB User

hi could someone please tell me what sort of pain the hernia would cause. ive had unexplaine stomach/back problems for 6/7 wks now,ill keep it short but has been low back pain,sharp pains in sides and horrible pain around/above belly and some chest pain.. i really need to find out why im getting this so i can get rid of it!!!lol!!! thanks x

Old 01-17-2009, 01:14 PM   #13
(female)

Em55 HB User

If mine is a hernia, then i have it right on top of where my stomach, and then with the gerd it is common to have it on top of ur back and your sides. If you cough a lot then that can also make your sides sore.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

bride527 HB User

Had my Upper GI test yesterday it wasn't that bad.....of course they don't tell you anything, the dr. has to call me.......
I have the same pain, i will let you know how my test come out....I am thinking maybe a hernia too.....bride527

Old 01-17-2009, 03:05 PM   #15
(female)

Em55 HB User

Oh yeah please do, mine is on tuesday this week. Im a little scared of what they are going to tell me. What did you have to do for the upper gi?

Closed Thread