It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2009, 06:40 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User
Take PPI before dinner for nighttime reflux

I've been having some really good success with my nighttime reflux. I suffer from reflux almost always when I sleep, I tried everything, nothing really helped. I was taking 20 mg of prescription prilosec before sleeping but it wasn't working. Then I read that it needs to be activated by food and it takes hours before it really starts working. So now I take it around 5:30 right before dinner, go to sleep around 11 and I've been having nights where I sleep straight through, very rarely waking up unable to breath. Though it does seem to start wearing off before I wake up because around 3AM I'm still fine but by 6 or 7 AM I have that bad reflux taste in mouth, but at least I'm not waking up unable to breath, thats a horrible feeling.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Take PPI before dinner for nighttime reflux

I ended up taking PPI's 1/2 hour before breakfast and 1/2 hour before dinner. That kept things under control for years until everything pretty much stopped working.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2009, 11:51 PM   #3
(female)

bbsmummy HB User

I too wake up or am almost asleep when i get the feeling i can't breathe. I was diagnosed with gerds almost a year ago. But..I sometimes wonder....is it air (trapped gas) that is backing into the esophagus making it a negative pressure environment to breathe, or is it refluxed goo? What I have read says if you have too little acid you won't digest your food properly, leading to fermentation of the food (uck!), which in turn leads to a build up of trapped gas.....SO I don't know if the pantoloc I am on is helping by neutralizing the acid so the refluxed goo isn't acidic, or if it is causes the trapped air by neutralizing too much acid?????? ANy thoughts???
Also, does anyone get shiver like tingles (without the shivers) just before the feeling of not being able to breathe?

Old 01-20-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
(male)

greg1x HB User

Correct it needs to be activated by food. As per my GI doc I am taking Zantac 300 mg berfore bed. Zantac works well for nighttime reflux. Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by neddyflanders View Post
I've been having some really good success with my nighttime reflux. I suffer from reflux almost always when I sleep, I tried everything, nothing really helped. I was taking 20 mg of prescription prilosec before sleeping but it wasn't working. Then I read that it needs to be activated by food and it takes hours before it really starts working. So now I take it around 5:30 right before dinner, go to sleep around 11 and I've been having nights where I sleep straight through, very rarely waking up unable to breath.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

I think my high blood pressure is caused by this problem sleeping. I think this LPR is causing sleep apnea and making my blood pressure rise, when it was at it's worse my pressure was up to 166/110, I was taking something for it and brought it down to 129/85. Now that I've been able to get some sleep for the first time in 3 years my blood pressure is 108/75. Just hope it keeps working, seems like everybody has had some success and then it stops. I can live with my LPR the way it is now, throught dry in the morning but for the most part it's not sore.

Closed Thread