It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
(female)

MissVA HB User
Throat spasms

I have been having "throat spasms" for lack of a better way to describe it. It feels like my airway is all of a sudden cut off , it lasts for about 2 seconds, then its back to normal. It happened 10-15 times yesterday, but only 3 times so far today. Its not the same feeling as asthma. I don't think its acid reflux because I dont taste anything nasty. I just cant breath for a few seconds, feels like someone is choking me for just the few seconds, Then when its gone I can breathe fine again,but feels like there's a lump in my throat all day long. Its only been happening for about a week...Any suggestions?

Old 01-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
(female)

toby dog HB User
Re: Throat spasms

I have the same thing that happens to m,e.doc said its acid coming up in the throat causing spasms.do you gasp for air which makes people around you think you're chocking.it's very embarrassing when you're in a restaurant and people are watching you.it's makes me very anixous to go anywhere.sometimes its worse than others.i stay on previacid 2 x a day.i also take reglan before my biggest meal and before i go to bed it seems to help.no one seems to have an answer that's what so sad.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2009, 12:17 AM   #3
(female)

bbsmummy HB User

I have the same problem, was diagnosed with GERDS almost a year ago, i am on pantoloc...have to take 2X day most days, and also some Maalox before bed, or as i am falling asleep this will happen numerous times.....was actually my first GERD symptom....almost had to go to a sleep clinic, although the Dr was sure it wasn't apnea as i wasn't asleep yet......to me, it feels like there is air pressure coming up from inside my esophagus....more pressure then it takes for me to breathe in, therefore blocking my airway...as soon as i sit up or tell myself to really BREATHE! I gasp in a breath, then my heart beats erratically for a few minutes...much better now that i don't panic, and realize that i will breath again, was terrifying at the beginning though....it has also happened while sitting completely upright at the computer as well...I would definitely ask for a barium swallow test to check for GERDS Good Luck to you!

Old 01-22-2009, 06:05 AM   #4
(female)

MissVA HB User

Thanks. It mostly happens when I'm sitting at the computer too. It hasnt happened the last 2 days tho. I was also wondering if this could be caused from years of "coughing up phlehm!" I thought maybe I've strained those throat muscles for too many years. But I have lots of allergies so I have to cough up most of it to swallow. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

CandP HB User

Actually, what I have felt every so often was something like a "membrane" or jello-like feeling, where I tried to swallow and I couldn't for a second or two. Then I clear my throat and it would go away. Has anyone felt that?

As far as throat spasms, I always thought, for me , that they occur while I would eat - meaning, my nerves tense and when I am about to swallow, I can't and the food doesn't go down, and then I tense even more which leads to asphyxia for a few seconds and then things go down. I think for me my choking bouts have been the result of a tense throat -has anyone felt this way? Has any doctor diagnosed this for anyone - choking due to tension in throat? I really dont think acid reflux plays a large role in this? It just started suddenly for me, and now has led to choking fears, and me slicing and dicing almost everything I eat.

Closed Thread