It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2009, 09:07 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Food gets stuck and won't go down

Not sure if this is the right board to post on. I have trouble with my food getting stuck right above where it enters into my stomach. It seems to only happen when I am under a lot of stress. Usually if I stand up and walk around it will pass.......

2 years ago it would not pass at all and I had to be put to sleep and scoped to get it out.. they told me I was having esophageal spasms and had some reflux. It was a frightening and painful experience.

Well it happened again to me 2 weeks ago and they gave me Nitro Glycerin under my tounge in the Emergency room and it relaxed my chest muscles and my food passed right on down. So now they have given me a script for nitro. The Doctor told me to try to get unstressed and get scoped to make sure nothing is going on in there.

It is so strange because sometimes I can eat anything without any problem and sometimes even liquid will not want to go down? I can go months without it bothering me then I will have seveal months of everytime I eat I have to be cautious......

I hope this post helps someone. I thought the Nitro was very helpful.....

O

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2009, 02:06 PM   #2
(female)

Em55 HB User
Re: Food gets stuck and won't go down

Hi, This would be the right board for that. I also have that but it sounds like you have it a bit worse than me. I have never actually had to gone to the ER to get it to go down. Some foods, morning and night usually, just dont seem like i can digest it. I eat yogurt and milk in the morning cause i cant get anything else to go down comfortably. It feels like it gets stuck.

Also pills sometimes wont go down. My tonsils flare up sometimes which also doesnt help this but not bad enough to have them out.......

I am not sure why this is but it is common i have heard with Gerd people.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2009, 10:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I took one of my big horse pill Calcium tablets and as usual it gets stuck halfway down. Now I have to keep drinking warm water and hope that thing will go on down. I may start crushing up some of my vitamins.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:05 AM   #4
(female)

bj08 HB User

I hope you stay on top of what is causing this. Sounds like you have some obstruction
in your esophagus-long term esophageal reflux symptoms? Over time it can cause narrowing of the espohagus and they treat that when bad enough with having you pass a tube down your throat to essentially keep the esophagus from closing more. And of
course medicines.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I just had an endoscopy done 2 weeks ago. The doctor said he saw nothing wrong in there. Not one thing. Not even redness. So I don't get it? Couldn't it be some pills are just big?? I mean have you seen some of those vitamins? I think they should be smaller. Food doesn't usually get stuck. But the big horse pills, ya.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:49 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Thank you all so much for the responses......When I was scoped 2 years ago the first time my food would not go down they found nothing but that was 2 years ago.....I see an Endocrinologist for my thyroid issues and when I told him what happened he feels I have GERD and wants me to be scoped to see what if anything is down there. He told me to research GERD. Wants to make sure I do not have tumor or scarring down there......Maybe it is a hiatal hernia?

I will stay on top of this.... My stomach does not hurt much but I have been under stress like everyone else..especially lately with lay offs at work and rising college costs...I have 2 in college. It seems to be affecting my stomach.

Thank you so much.......Oleander

Old 01-25-2009, 11:42 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ya, stress is causing most ALL of my trouble. A man came to my door with Forclosure papers today. It's no wonder I have acid reflux, Ibs, shakiness, anxiety and all of it. My husband and I have worked for 3 years to hang onto our dream house and it's just not going to work. At this point I am just trying to save myself, my health and saniety. Without God and those things I have nothing anyway.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:46 AM   #8
(female)

Em55 HB User

tammy, Im so sorry about the forclosure!!! that is terrible!
I hope everything somehow works out for you!!!

Old 01-25-2009, 07:59 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Em, I have been crying all day. My stomach hurts and I have bad IBS. Finding this out today has just set me off. All I can do is try to calm down and keep my saniety and work out a plan. We do have family to stay with. I just need to get myself better. I knew this was all coming for months and that is why I have these health issues. Maybe leaving this stressful house situation will help me become healthy again. It will be my silver lining.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:33 PM   #10
(female)

trying2staycalm HB User

Hello TEdwards83

I too, am sorry to hear about you all facing forclosure. As aweful as it is, it may be a blessing in disguise. You all will probably feel a weight lifting that you may not have even realized was so heavy, you know??

I trust all will work out for you and that you will get better real soon

Take Care!!

Old 01-25-2009, 08:52 PM   #11
(female)

Em55 HB User

Your welcome, good luck with it all!

Old 01-25-2009, 09:26 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks to all of you. It really could be a huge weight lifted off of me. So in a way it could be a blessing just like you all said. God knows whats best and a person can only take so much stress. Thanks for your caring and support!

Old 01-26-2009, 01:00 AM   #13
(female)

trying2staycalm HB User

You're welcome!

You know, the more I log on to this site, the more I like it.

It's amazing how support can come from many different directions!!

Take Care

Closed Thread