It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
(female)

gmp377 HB User
Ibuprofen Causing Heartburn?

Hello All,

My boyfriend is currently awaiting foot surgery to repair a torn peroneal tendon. He has been in pain for several months due to this injury and, as a result, has been taking pain relievers (mainly products containing ibuprofen and/or naproxen) on a fairly regular basis. I am aware that such medications can cause stomach bleeding. While my boyfriend does not have this problem (as far as I know), he has lately complained of repeat heartburn and indigestion. Since he did not suffer from indigestion symptoms prior to taking pain relievers on a daily basis, I am inclined to think these are the culprits making the heartburn come back over and over. Is this possible? Can prolonged use of pain relievers cause symptoms of indigestion and heartburn? If so, what can be done to relieve it? Any advice will help.

Thanks in advance,
gmp377

Old 01-28-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
(female)

trying2staycalm HB User
Re: Ibuprofen Causing Heartburn?

Hello,

I think it is possible that it could be a combination of the medication and anxiety being caused by the pain.

Does he drink water? I can tell you from experience how beneficial it is to drink lots of water to flush medication from your system.

Tell him to try drinking 2 full glasses of water when he starts feeling indigestion coming on and see how that works out for him.

I hope this helps him....it definitly helps me

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
(female)

shelovescliche HB User

Ibuprofen increases the acid in the stomach, which is why bleeding can occur, as far as I know. This being the case, it could cause heartburn as well. I know I can't take more than 2 ibuprofen in a single day without my acid reflux flaring up like crazy, and taking two a day for more than one day will wreck my stomach for a week or two.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

Any aspirin-like drug (called NSAIDs) can cause heartburn and even ulcer. Most is from chronic use but for some it can happen really quickly.

Ask his doc for a different (less acid producing) prescription NSAID, like Mobic or Clinoril. Always take meds like these on a full stomach. (that's after a meal, not just a snack)

If he's taking IBU for pain relief only and not for the anti-inflammatory part, then he might be able to switch to OTC Tylenol. Again, he'd need to ask his doctor.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

yep.. i'd say it is the ibuprofen. I can't take any NSAIDS any more... flares up my hiatal herna/heart burn

Old 01-30-2009, 11:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I can't take NSAIDS by mouth either anymore, it causes my stomach horrible pain and heart burn. Mobic is not more easy on the stomach than ibuprofen from my experience. The only NSAIDS I can tolerate are injectable ones.

If he can get along without the NSAID his stomach will probably recover on it's own. They are pain killers and cover up pain even when causing some pain. When I stopped NSAIDS I was very surprised to find out how much my stomach hurt since I the pain medication had left my system.

I hope he gets surgery soon.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:15 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

taape.... injectable nsaids? which ones? can you get them for home use? I'd love it if they came in a auto injector like Imitrex or a epi pen

Closed Thread