It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Beefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB User
Alternative to Nexium (PPI) when on Plavix (clopidogrel)

Hi,
Recently (1 month ago) I had two stents placed and my Cardiologist put me on the usual 75mg of Plavix (clopidogrel). Subsequently I suffered a blood loss and was hospitalised for 6 days. I was severely anaemic and required 6 units of blood. They found an esophagal ulcer that was seeping blood. The ulcer was treated and appears to have healed. The gastroentrologist put me on 40mg Nexium when I left hospital.
These days I rarely suffer from any form of acid reflux, heartburn, or even indigestion, as I have changed my diet, and never eat and drink before bed, and rarely consume alcohol.
Since new research appears to show that Nexium and other proton-pump inhibitors (PPIs) can interfere with and/or inhibit the blood-thinning function of Plavix, I wondered what alternatives there were. There must be many other people in the same situation as me. (Since Plavix is mildly aggressive to the stomach, some are prescribed PPIs with their Plavix, as a normal treatment.)
Antacids like Quik-Eze and Mylanta (aluminum and magnesium hydroxide) are a problem because they interfere not only with the digestion of food, but also put a lining on the digestive tract, and can prevent the proper absorbtion of medicines. (The packet says not to take medication within 2 hours of taking Mylanta.)
I am considering taking Zantac (Ranitidine), or something else, but wondered if anyone had dealt with this problem or could offer any comments. (Also, I wondered about Zantac as a long-term treatment - like Nexium often is.)
Thanks.
Beefsteak

Last edited by Beefsteak; 01-26-2009 at 11:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2009, 03:49 AM   #2
(female)

mjcm123 HB User
Re: Alternative to Nexium (PPI) when on Plavix (clopidogrel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefsteak View Post
Hi,
Recently (1 month ago) I had two stents placed and my Cardiologist put me on the usual 75mg of Plavix (clopidogrel). Subsequently I suffered a blood loss and was hospitalised for 6 days. I was severely anaemic and required 6 units of blood. They found an esophagal ulcer that was seeping blood. The ulcer was treated and appears to have healed. The gastroentrologist put me on 40mg Nexium when I left hospital.
These days I rarely suffer from any form of acid reflux, heartburn, or even indigestion, as I have changed my diet, and never eat and drink before bed, and rarely consume alcohol.
Since new research appears to show that Nexium and other proton-pump inhibitors (PPIs) can interfere with and/or inhibit the blood-thinning function of Plavix, I wondered what alternatives there were. There must be many other people in the same situation as me. (Since Plavix is mildly aggressive to the stomach, some are prescribed PPIs with their Plavix, as a normal treatment.)
Antacids like Quik-Eze and Mylanta (aluminum and magnesium hydroxide) are a problem because they interfere not only with the digestion of food, but also put a lining on the digestive tract, and can prevent the proper absorbtion of medicines. (The packet says not to take medication within 2 hours of taking Mylanta.)
I am considering taking Zantac (Ranitidine), or something else, but wondered if anyone had dealt with this problem or could offer any comments. (Also, I wondered about Zantac as a long-term treatment - like Nexium often is.)
Thanks.
Beefsteak
Zantac has been around for a very long time ... much longer than the proton pump inhibitors. So in terms of taking the Zantac long term, that should not be a problem. Regarding how it interacts with Plavix, your doctor or pharmacist should have the correct answer for you. There must be other people in your situation as those are two very commonly prescribed drugs. Good luck.

Closed Thread