It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2009, 03:18 AM   #1
(female)

dlindquist83 HB User
Recently been diagnosed with "acid reflux"

I have been recently "diagnosed" with simple acid reflux, dr just described it as my "faucets" in my stomach being turned up which in turn puts way too much acid into my stomach and that backs up into my esophagus causing acid reflux. He also wonders if I might have a hiatal hernia even though they did an abdominal CT with IV iodine and saw a normal stomach and esophagus (along with everything else).

He put me on a sample of a PPI once a day in the morning before I eat. I've been taking this for 6 days and am no longer getting the noticable (feeling like I'm throwing up in my throat) feelings anymore. However I do have this feeling of something constantly stuck right where my Trachea is. It makes me feel like I cannot breathe even though I am breathing at 100% on the SAT monitor. It feels constricted and always feels like there is air or something stuck. I carry water everywhere with me in fear something will get stuck there (its happened twice so far). This has triggered me to have anxiety symptoms because I have a HUGE fear of something happening to my breathing. The anxiety symptoms were around for about 1 1/2 weeks and went away completely EXCEPT for the feeling like a throat constriction. Is this normal for acid reflux?? They have not done any other testing yet other then the CT scan.

I have another Dr appt tomorrow for him to talk to me more about this but he keeps trying to put me on an anxiety medication when I KNOW its not anxiety causing this. As I said he also has me on a PPI once a day and metroplol (1/2 pill once a day equalling 12.5mg) because my heart was racing when I last saw him. (because i was scared obviously but he wouldnt listen, he since told me to stop this medication)

Could this breathing "constriction" be caused from this even tho my acid reflux symtoms have gone? It also seems to get worse with ANY activity I do or when I sit forward in my chair. I dont have asthma or any respitory problems and have been tested for everything under the sun, including thyroid and everything looks great.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2009, 04:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Recently been diagnosed with "acid reflux"

Quote:
Could this breathing "constriction" be caused from this even tho my acid reflux symtoms have gone?
It's not unusual for reflux to cause a feeling of something stuck in your throat and some asthma-like shortness of breath. Both are the result of the acid from you digestive system irritating the lining of your esophagus. The irritated areas get inflamed (causing the lump feeling).

It can take 2-3 months for the damage from acid reflux to heal completely so the fact that your symptoms are gone doesn't mean that your esophagus is completely healed. It will take some time for all of the symptoms to go away so try to be patient and give your body a chance to heal.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:50 AM   #3
(female)

cobs HB User
Re: Recently been diagnosed with "acid reflux"

Take all the precautionary steps so as to avoid the re-occurence in future as then it would be more serious and will need much more intervention by your doctor, also our prayers for your recovery

Closed Thread