It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
(female)

AlisaBeth HB User
Acid Reflux Medicines

I have medco as my perscription plan. Anyway, prevacid is so expensive and the medco website suggested asking my Dr. to see if it would be OK if I took Ranitidine HCL 300 MG Tablet. Has anyone on here sustituted Prevacid for this medicine. If so, did it work just as good for you? I've been on the Prevacid for two weeks now and really feel like it's beginning to work. My ent gave me samples out of the office and I'm almost out and don't want to refill it if I can get a cheaper version. I know there is not a generic out for Prevacid yet...so I was suprised to see Ranitidine was an option for it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2009, 10:44 PM   #2
(female)

Em55 HB User
Re: Acid Reflux Medicines

I took randitine when i had no insurance. It didnt work for me but i have a bad stomach so it could work for you. It is generic zantac. I would try it out if i was you. Most people i think respond fine to it.

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2009, 05:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Quote:
prevacid is so expensive and the medco website suggested asking my Dr. to see if it would be OK if I took Ranitidine HCL 300 MG Tablet.
I'm kind of horrified to hear that the website recommended Ranitidine as an alternative to Prevacid, as they are not even the same class of medications. Prevacid is a Proton Pump Inhibitor while Ranitidine is an H2-receptor agonist. Both can be effective but for a Medco website to recommend substituting an entirely different type of medication seems really inappropriate.

You would be much better off asking your doctor if you could take PrilosecOTC (generic Omeprazole) in place of Prevacid. They are the same class of drug and work in similar ways. PrilosecOTC is available without a prescription and and in a very inexpensive generic version but you may need to take more than the recommended dose, so definitely check with your doctor.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
(female)

AlisaBeth HB User

Oh my goodness!...I'll call medco and see what the deal is. But I have a feeling they will be clueless.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:46 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

bride527 HB User

I have been taking Prilesec OTC for about a month now. I have been feeling light headed. Wonder if there is a connection. Never felt like this before. Has anyone felt like this on antacid meds?? thanks Bride527

Old 02-14-2009, 03:43 PM   #6
(male)

greg1x HB User

This is typical insurance interference . Ranitidine is generic Zantac an H2 blocker , not a PPI like Prevacid (which I have had the most efectiveness with of the PPIs). That was very irresponsible of them.
Greg, DDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisaBeth View Post
I have medco as my perscription plan. Anyway, prevacid is so expensive and the medco website suggested asking my Dr. to see if it would be OK if I took Ranitidine HCL 300 MG Tablet. Has anyone on here sustituted Prevacid for this medicine. If so, did it work just as good for you? I've been on the Prevacid for two weeks now and really feel like it's beginning to work. My ent gave me samples out of the office and I'm almost out and don't want to refill it if I can get a cheaper version. I know there is not a generic out for Prevacid yet...so I was suprised to see Ranitidine was an option for it.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:03 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I have felt light headed on antacid meds too. I think it could effect some of us this way.

Closed Thread