It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2009, 07:17 PM   #1
(female)

sickntired8 HB User
Unhappy Globus sensation??

How do you deal with this??? I am on treatment but it won't stay away. I feel like i am choking to death sometimes. My Dr. swears my throat is normal size but it feels too small. What do you do???

Old 02-19-2009, 04:35 PM   #2
(female)

DMBF HB User
Re: Globus sensation??

Please don't take this the wrong way, but, as you may have read here, some people need to take a different kind of medication to take their focus OFF of their physical symptoms, so medications that help you relax, or, SSRI's, that help your mind literally slow down. The stress/anxiety can play a vicious role in your symptoms. Have you tried stretching your neck (extend your chin down to your chest, hold 10 seconds, stretch head back, hold, stretch ear to shoulder, hold, etc)? Also, massaging the throat area (gently) can also help. Even try heat, maybe cold--experiment. You likely have inflammation of the vocal folds and this is tricky b/c you use your voice probably all day long---not helping the vocal folds at all! Then they have to work harder, the muscles around get sore, etc.

You could also consult a speech-language pathologist in your area for additional exercises/suggestions. Do you have vocal symptoms, like hoarseness? Do you clear your throat a lot, or have the urge to cough. Of course drinking LOTS of water is also important.

ALl the best!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2009, 08:53 PM   #3
(female)

ChronicallySick HB User
Re: Globus sensation??

I have had the same 'lump' sensation in my throat. And, I recommend that if your neck is sore, talk to your Doctor about trying Zanax.

I just found out my stress and anxiety was causing my muscles to tense and spasm, which was giving me that 'lump' sensation and a sore neck, along with a kind of choking and swelling in my throat sensation.

In these hard times on the economy, it is easy to get stressed. So try Zanax and get a nice massage for your upper back and neck area to calm you and see how that works, it worked for me!

I wish you luck!

Closed Thread