It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
(male)

REPSOLGUY HB User
Lump feeling in throat

Hello, i am hoping someone can help me. i have had acid reflux since i was 10 years old and i am 29 now.. about 5 months ago i had a bad attack with reflux.. throat got very sore and it stayed sore for about a month. Went to ENT doctor and they run the light down my throat and said i had reflux. So put me on nexium twice a day and it still didnt get better.. Went to a different doctor and he has me on Cimetidine and Carafate together.. My throat soreness has definetely got better but i now have a lump feeling in the back of my throat.. went back to doctor 1 week ago and he said it was still red in one spot of throat but said i didnt have any ulcers.. My right side of my neck is also a little swollen and muscles are very sore to touch. I dont have a problem swallowing my food or drinking anything. It also at times feels like thick mucus in back of my throat.. but yet i can never get anything out.. Is this feeling normal when you have a reflux problem.. I hope someone can help me because the feeling of something in my throat is driving me crazy..I have been afraid i've got barretts esophagus or something cancerous..

Old 02-19-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
(female)

DMBF HB User
Re: Lump feeling in throat

Yes this is common...look for the post a few down on GLOBUS SENSATION....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
(female)

ChronicallySick HB User

I have had the same 'lump' sensation in my throat. And, I recommend that if your neck is sore, talk to your Doctor about trying Zanax.

I just found out my stress and anxiety was causing my muscles to tense and spasm, which was giving me that 'lump' sensation and a sore neck, along with a kind of choking and swelling in my throat sensation.

In these hard times on the economy, it is easy to get stressed, so maybe the acid reflux is not the problem, but you think it is. So try Zanax to calm you and see how that works, it worked for me!

I wish you luck!

Old 02-09-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
(female)

hawaiianmoon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronicallySick View Post
I have had the same 'lump' sensation in my throat. And, I recommend that if your neck is sore, talk to your Doctor about trying Zanax.

I just found out my stress and anxiety was causing my muscles to tense and spasm, which was giving me that 'lump' sensation and a sore neck, along with a kind of choking and swelling in my throat sensation.

In these hard times on the economy, it is easy to get stressed, so maybe the acid reflux is not the problem, but you think it is. So try Zanax to calm you and see how that works, it worked for me!

I wish you luck!
WoW! Stress can do all of that? I have the lump in the throat feeling and sore neck and yes I have been pretty stressed but then thought I was pretty much over the stress at least the bad part of it. I thought maybe reflux was the cause but then I thought, I haven't eaten that much yet today. I also have a bit of a hard time swallowing food. Did a Dr. tell you stress could give the lump in the throat feeling or did you research that? Hope you are feeling better!

Old 02-09-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
(female)

abbydabbydew HB User

If you're struggling with anxiety because you're imagining all of the awful things that could be in your esophagus, consider having an endoscopy. You've already had your throat and upper esophagus scoped by the ENT, right? This should've put your mind at ease that nothing terrible was there. If you're still worried about your lower esophagus, have it scoped, too (endo) and then you'll know. This is the progession that I went thru when my LPR was at its worst and I was convinced I had 6 months to live. And by the way, I'm not making light of this. It's miserable; I know. I had no idea what had hijacked my body and was convinced it must be something awful. I took the steps to find out that, while my throat and esophagus looked burned, there were no lesions, nothing to be alarmed about (other than the reflux which would have to be managed). I would list the laryngoscope and endo procedures as the two biggest anxiety relievers for me - with knowledge you can regain a little bit of control and confidence that you can manage this. I'd REALLY recommend you take all of the NON-pharmaceutical steps that you can take to relieve your anxiety. Get scoped. Exercise. Get enough sleep. Try yoga or meditation or whatever might relax your body and mind. The LAST resort should be anti-anxiety medication because that step can be very hard to reverse later. (Plenty of threads about that here.) Best of luck to you...

Old 03-17-2011, 12:45 AM   #6
(female)

bimik HB User

What is the lump feeling in the throat like? For instance when I swirl my toung back andtouch the upper part of my throat, I feel the lump sometimes. I also feel like there is a small one under my chin, from the left side. But ENT didnt feel anything unusual. My mouth is dry lately and I have very tiredwhen I have sore throats. I also have qhite toung once in awhile. Is it tonsillitis or LPR? Thank you

Closed Thread